HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I miss the simplicity of 60s and 70s logo designs... less really is more in this respect
I wonder why the 60s was the golden age of logo design?

Was it because companies gave advertising agencies and graphic designers free reign to design their logos? Because scope creep didn't worm its way into the design process?

Was it because we were a more decisive culture back then? Because a group of chain smoking older white men with war scars didn't want to be bothered with debating the merits of one logo over another?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

Was it because companies gave advertising agencies and graphic designers free reign to design their logos? Because scope creep didn't worm its way into the design process?

Was it because we were a more decisive culture back then? Because a group of chain smoking older white men with war scars didn't want to be bothered with debating the merits of one logo over another?
Apparently, Canada was a leader in graphic design and typology during this age. I have no idea who the big players were in that age but Canada consistently pumped out high-quality graphics and typology in the 60s and 70s and was a world leader. Also amazing to think this was all done by hand back in those days, maybe that was a reason it forced restraint in the design process.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:05 PM

The classic Saskatchewan wheat sheaf, replaced a few years ago by the garbage on the right:

http://www.underconsideration.com/br...skatchewan.php

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:56 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

Part of the general modern/minimalist ethos of the day I'm sure. Logos in particular are the type of thing that really benefit from the sort of blocky, evocative forms and restrained typefaces that characterized design of the era.

The lack of design-by-committee certainly couldn't have hurt either.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The classic Saskatchewan wheat sheaf, replaced a few years ago by the garbage on the right:

http://www.underconsideration.com/br...skatchewan.php
Disgusting. The old one was very classic.

The only thing that needed to be changed with the old logo was a colour update as that type of golden-yellow looks dated. In the most extreme case, you could have just softened the text and the Wheat - something along the lines of how Kraft has done with their logo to "modernize" it:

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Kinda reminds me of a slightly less creepy version of the neighbourhood watch icon: (is this just a Toronto/Ontario thing, or is it everywhere in Canada?)

Anyone who, like me, grew up with a NES and playing Zelda (I and II) will inevitably find this creepy... and really worrying, too. They steal XP when they hit you, and they're hard to dodge.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:44 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Anyone who, like me, grew up with a NES and playing Zelda (I and II) will inevitably find this creepy... and really worrying, too. They steal XP when they hit you, and they're hard to dodge.

I never made this connection but my best friend never fails to point it out when we see one of those signs in person. He's also obsessed with the second Zelda, which usually isn't anyone's favourite game. I told him he was probably the only person to think that, but now I know that isn't the case!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:16 PM
Busy Beaver

Even if their trains are derailed the logo reads the same upside down

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post

The VIA Rail logo was at its best in the 70s when it was used in bold and simple layouts.

The worst thing that happened to it was back in the 90s when the post-referendum "Canada" branding initiative that the Chretien Liberal government rolled out resulted in a logo modification to this

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Kinda reminds me of a slightly less creepy version of the neighbourhood watch icon: (is this just a Toronto/Ontario thing, or is it everywhere in Canada?)

Nope, I remember those growing up in Regina in the 90s. Still see them every now and then.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I never made this connection but my best friend never fails to point it out when we see one of those signs in person. He's also obsessed with the second Zelda, which usually isn't anyone's favourite game. I told him he was probably the only person to think that, but now I know that isn't the case!
So him and I are probably among the tiny minority who'd be able to appreciate the prank of someone placing one of those signs in slightly altered form at a local cemetary... "This Cemetary Protected by 'Neighborhood Watch'"

BTW, I always greatly preferred Zelda II (Adventure of Link) to Zelda I (Legend of Zelda). Might be due to having access to only the first for a long while when I was younger. What you don't have always seems more appealing, and once those feelings are created, it seems they can stand the test of passing decades

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:48 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
The new Alberta logo above is pretty awful. Reminds me a bit of the re-design of the Ontario Trillium logo in the early 2000s.

I quite like the old one:

The new one is basically 3 people in a hot tub:

Reminds me of the Minority Report

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:

Mouhahaha, I loled.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:58 PM

Yeah, I forgot to point out that niwell's "Three Men in a Hot Spa" actually made me chuckle out loud... wow, how did they NOT see that before greenlighting that logo?!?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Yeah, I forgot to point out that niwell's "Three Men in a Hot Spa" actually made me chuckle out loud... wow, how did they NOT see that before greenlighting that logo?!?
cannot be unseen.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Most transit systems have very designed-by-committee logos that will need to be upgraded every 10 years. Not the TTC:

Well they upgrade their logo like they upgrade their stations.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
In fact when I re-read the small print I saw that they had actually set the bar at 35 replies... hence my edit... statistically, that's complete crap. No conclusions to be drawn from that.
Sunsetmountainmanland would disagree
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post

That's a real good one.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 10:03 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'm guessing their n~35, as it says in the small print (their data is user-supplied...) In the real world, no way NY isn't Yankees, TX isn't Cowboys, and I doubt the Celtics are more popular than either of Pats and Red Sox? And California's top team is a San Diego team I can't even identify?!? No way. (That's just at first sight.)

Ontario would be Jays not Leafs? How un-Canadian......
The maps are from a website that rates the aesthetics of logos. They're not rated based on how popular the team is.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
cannot be unseen.
If the Queen's Park complex ever decide to provide "treats" for their bureaucrats (some places do: gyms, pools...) then I am hoping they'll get a spa with that exact pointed-ends triangle shape built, with seating spots in the middles of the sides that would be priceless.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, I've seen much more difficult shapes than that purpose-built... for example this pool in Texas that's shaped like the state:

And that triangle spa should be made sure to be visible from satellite view (i.e. outdoors) so it can serve as Ontario's logo on Google Maps.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada