HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:39 AM

I think Hooters official last day was Friday. The Website has taken it down from their locations search. Would be nice to see this and the Luxe site begin construction.

Now all we need is for someone to come in and fill in the gap between LA Live and Metropolis. AKA Olympia Towers, 925 fig, the Car Wash site and the now weird JW/Marriot expansion that AEG has canceled. And can someone please revive the old Fidm tower.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
AKA Olympia Towers

And can someone please revive the old Fidm tower.
Took the words right out of my mouth.....esp the olympia proj. I'd say that's the most important proposal of any on the drawing board since the site is right next to the fwy & is seen by thousands of ppl who pass by it every day of the wk.....esp ppl who won't be visiting dt itself. No other site is as visible as that one, inc the one next to angel's flight.

The bldg proposed for students of the fashion school also is important because the land it was supposed to go up on connects to many other properties in that part of dt. however, the expansion of the colburn school on bunker hill is more crucial since it will help not just students but also faculty, visitors, guests to concerts. The fidm tower was mainly just for housing students.

Video Link

I don't know how the economy will do in supporting or not supporting a lot of new devlpt in dt in the next several yrs. But by the standards of most major cities throughout the world, highrise, high density housing is about as common as strip shopping malls are in LA. There are obscure cities in places like brazil that make dtla look like the burbs.

No excuse if devlprs don't find enough support from consumers....from apt & condo hunters....as dtla finally fills out.

As for enough shoppers to support places like the oceanside proj? that's more iffy. But I recall thinking bottega louie would be too ambitious a restaurant for dt before it opened. I hope I end up having to eat my words all over again.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:04 AM

https://urbanize.la/post/77-story-to...hotel-downtown

So looks like LA is getting yet another tall building. 77 floors to be exact.

"Earlier today, an application was submitted to the City of Los Angeles to convert the L.A. Grand Hotel Downtown at 333 S. Figueroa Street into 224 apartments. A case filing also indicates plans for the addition of a 77-story tower to the property that will feature a 599-room hotel, 242 condos, 28,705 square feet of commercial space, and 36,674 square feet of hotel amenities."

To give you a bit of perspective of what we might be dealing with. Floor count means almost nothing, obviously, especially with the difference in floor heights with office/condos/hotel rooms but its always fun to compare.

Angels Landing at 88 floors is pushing 1020 ft

Wilshire Grand at 73 floors is a little under 1100 ft.

925 Fig at 66 floors is pushing for 975 ft

and the Olympia Towers tallest with 65 floors is pushing for 853 ft.

Not to mention everyone's favorite US bank Tower is 1018 ft with 73 floors.

So that gives you a look into the possibilities.

Last edited by caligrad; Jun 12, 2018 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:

so looks like la is getting yet another tall building. 77 floors to be exact.

"earlier today, an application was submitted to the city of los angeles to convert the l.a. Grand hotel downtown at 333 s. Figueroa street into 224 apartments. A case filing also indicates plans for the addition of a 77-story tower to the property that will feature a 599-room hotel, 242 condos, 28,705 square feet of commercial space, and 36,674 square feet of hotel amenities."

to give you a bit of perspective of what we might be dealing with. Floor count means almost nothing, obviously, especially with the difference in floor heights with office/condos/hotel rooms but its always fun to compare.

Angels landing at 88 floors is pushing 1020 ft

wilshire grand at 73 floors is a little under 1100 ft.

925 fig at 66 floors is pushing for 975 ft

and the olympia towers tallest with 65 floors is pushing for 853 ft.

Not to mention everyone's favorite us bank tower is 1018 ft with 73 floors.

Wow!!!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:52 PM

There is also a rumor going around one of the fb groups about a HUGE development planned on the other side of the 110 from the Convention Center. And we're not talking about the 20 flr hotel currently proposed. This is a whole different project. Now that AEG has committed to expanding the convention center and the Ritz Carlton complex, we'll probably see more proposals across the 110. So, there's that to look forward to also. Fingers crossed!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:53 PM

Woke up to two very exciting DTLA proposals—is this Christmas?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
Woke up to two very exciting DTLA proposals—is this Christmas?
Agreed...This is incredible!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:54 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ The primary reason you are seeing all of these filings is to get in front of linkage fees going into effect. So just because we're seeing a flood of proposals doesn't mean all of them will be built. Construction costs and availability of financing will be key factors in if/when all these projects all move forward, and construction costs are on the rise. So hoping as many of these move forward as possible, but not holding my breath. Even the Cambria hotel on 9th Street hasn't broken ground yet, and that should be the easiest one to fund at this point in time.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:18 PM

Is LA the only city with such a fee? When you look it up, it mentions Seattle proposing it but not if it went through or not. Most of the search only talks about LA.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ The primary reason you are seeing all of these filings is to get in front of linkage fees going into effect. So just because we're seeing a flood of proposals doesn't mean all of them will be built. Construction costs and availability of financing will be key factors in if/when all these projects all move forward, and construction costs are on the rise. So hoping as many of these move forward as possible, but not holding my breath. Even the Cambria hotel on 9th Street hasn't broken ground yet, and that should be the easiest one to fund at this point in time.
This has a lot to do with the individual developers and what kind of financing/construction loans they're seeking.

Not all projects are equal because developers have various levels of capital, as well as various levels of motivation and anticipated return.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Wow!!!
It seems that Los Angeles has the most tall buildings that are and could be going up of any city other then NYC.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:53 AM

Quote:

"Earlier today, an application was submitted to the City of Los Angeles to convert the L.A. Grand Hotel Downtown at 333 S. Figueroa Street into 224 apartments. A case filing also indicates plans for the addition of a 77-story tower to the property that will feature a 599-room hotel, 242 condos, 28,705 square feet of commercial space, and 36,674 square feet of hotel amenities."

To give you a bit of perspective of what we might be dealing with. Floor count means almost nothing, obviously, especially with the difference in floor heights with office/condos/hotel rooms but its always fun to compare.

Interesting find on sky vector Aviation website. For Los Angeles the WG is listed as 1,100' or 1,387 MSL. The US Bank is 1,018' or 1319' MSL. The AON is 879' or 1,158 MSL. And up on top of Bunker hill the tallest building is listed at 739' or 1,128' The difference between the elevations is the elevation at that buildings lowest entrance.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
It seems that Los Angeles has the most tall buildings that are and could be going up of any city other then NYC.
Yeah, but the importance of this one is that it at least extends the skyline out to it’s freeway enclosed perimeter.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:49 AM

Nordstrom Local (and More) Coming to The Bloc in Downtown LA

http://brighamyen.com/2018/06/12/nor...n-downtown-la/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 5:32 AM

Quote:

This is exciting! This section of Downtown really needs development and hopefully we see pedestrian activity around here. Since it will be 77 stories, would anyone want this tower to be the new tallest in the city since it's centered in the skyline as opposed to Angels Landing because Angels Landing might get your OCD triggered?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Yeah, but the importance of this one is that it at least extends the skyline out to it’s freeway enclosed perimeter.
Amen.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:49 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
This is exciting! This section of Downtown really needs development and hopefully we see pedestrian activity around here. Since it will be 77 stories, would anyone want this tower to be the new tallest in the city since it's centered in the skyline as opposed to Angels Landing because Angels Landing might get your OCD triggered?
HAHAHA I know my statement sounded ridiculous, I'm just used to the US Bank building being the "Peak" of the skyline, even with the WG tower sadly. A lot of people from other cities find LAs "Peak" like skyline iconic but I'm not against the change. I honestly cant careless where the next tallest goes. I'm warming up to the idea of Angles Landing being the tallest and now this new proposal could actually balance out Angels landing If built with similar height.

What I think would be fun is if LA had its own Chryler/Empire State building "Race" where this new proposal, Angels Landing and *fingers crossed* 925 fig all hint at wanting the "Tallest" title. I think that would be entertaining. If I had it my way. 925 Fig would be the one to take the title. 1150-1200 feet easy. the possibility of LA getting 3 supertalls at the same time is just mind blowing and amazing. We still should take these proposals with a grain of salt in true LA fashion with our history of epic fails (Park fifth ) .

But FINALLY, the tipping point of the iceberg has flipped and LA is finally full steam ahead, in my opinion. again. Finger crossed.

But I'm happy that this section of bunker hill(ish) is getting some TLC as well. Much needed. Now all we need is for some of those massive plazas to be converted into residential and or mixed use developments to activate the hill finally.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:50 PM

Keep in mind that this latest tower (77 stories) and the World Trade Center tower though is Bunker Hill, is on the lower side and not the actual Hill per se. Also, I don’t think it would be in the center of the skyline, but would definitely be an awesome look for Figueroa. I can be happy with the height of 9th and Fig, but it would be awesome if the World Trade Center tower would go a minimum of 50 stories.

On another note, I was driving into DTLA from 4th St off the 101...it’s crazy cool to see how long the skyline looks with the addition of South Park towers going up. It really shows the length of the skyline.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Keep in mind that this latest tower (77 stories) and the World Trade Center tower though is Bunker Hill, is on the lower side and not the actual Hill per se. Also, I don’t think it would be in the center of the skyline, but would definitely be an awesome look for Figueroa. I can be happy with the height of 9th and Fig, but it would be awesome if the World Trade Center tower would go a minimum of 50 stories.

On another note, I was driving into DTLA from 4th St off the 101...it’s crazy cool to see how long the skyline looks with the addition of South Park towers going up. It really shows the length of the skyline.
Yeah the skyline is really getting long towards the South. I've been watching it grow from my office for the past couple of years. I took this shot in late April. I should probably do this regularly as a timeline for all of us! Taken at sunrise with an Android haha:

This is what that same shot looks like this morning:

Last edited by Trae; Jun 13, 2018 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:09 PM

Some grainy shots of some Koreatown development that I can see. The first is the Texaco building redevelopment. The second is that small apartment building on Vermont @ James Wood:

Texaco building redevelopment next to RFK school:

Apartment building on Vermont @ James Wood:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations