HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
No, jokes are usually funny. As I and many others have said, its a saying; one that was oft repeated when I was attending UIC, even by my architecture professors.
I had an aunt that told me that cats will suck the breath out of babies.
Apparently they don't teach critical thinking at UIC.

University Hall was built in 1963, JFK was still alive.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 7:11 PM

Demolition permit for the 2 story building at 2942 W North Ave (North & ~ Humboldt Blvd). There is a pending permit out there to replace it with a 6 story, 40 unit building with ground floor retail with basement/ground floor parking (23 total parking I think?). Developer is Wilmot Properties

Current:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/29...!4d-87.7009465

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Demolition permit for the 2 story building at 2942 W North Ave (North & ~ Humboldt Blvd). There is a pending permit out there to replace it with a 6 story, 40 unit building with ground floor retail with basement/ground floor parking (23 total parking I think?). Developer is Wilmot Properties

Current:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/29...!4d-87.7009465
That's the old Carbit Paint store.
Geez, what a shame, that building is beautiful.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 8:29 PM

^^^This should be illegal. Whatever they replace it with is sure to be ass ugly.

Also seriously guys? The good old "brutalism to fight against rioting mobs" bullshit? It's patently false. These buildings we're completed before the tumultuous late sixties and designed years before that. Unless the architects had a time machine and could see what happened a decade into the future then there is literally no way what you are saying is true. Here's an interesting idea, don't take literally everything you "heard" as true, do a little thinking before internalizing it an regurgitating it to others. It's easily verifiable that the things you are talking about were not happening yet when these buildings we're designed. All it takes is a simple Google search. Spreading these bullshit myths just perpetuates negative attitudes towards this style.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 9:01 PM
Urbane observer

I heard that UIC was designed that way to defend against Indian raids.

Or maybe it was marauding dinosaurs.

Either way, it must be true. I mean, just look at the buildings. What architect would do that on purpose?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 9:17 PM

2942 W North Ave is a nice building - so hopefully they will replace it with something actually good. Doubtful - it sucks, but that's the best that can happen. The silver lining is that it's 6 stories but still.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
so hopefully they will replace it with something actually good.

From Wilmot? All their stuff looks the same. It'll be a six story version of this:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-87.7071069

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 9:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I heard that UIC was designed that way to defend against Indian raids.

Or maybe it was marauding dinosaurs.

Either way, it must be true. I mean, just look at the buildings. What architect would do that on purpose?
Yeah, myths abound about modernist buildings in college campuses. Who would have thought that teenagers and young adults would be so fanciful?

Some Brutalist buildings on campuses had irregular windows that vaguely resembled old computer punchcards. I heard a legend on multiple college tours that their Brutalist facade was actually a secret programming routine. Or the story about how, at (insert college name here)’s library, the architect forgot to account for the weight of the books, so the building is slowly sinking.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 10:13 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
From Wilmot? All their stuff looks the same. It'll be a six story version of this:

Sad to lose a handsome building for this, even though it will be a nice uptick in density.

Too bad Chicago didn't go about the business of massive residential density increases prior to 1930

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, myths abound about modernist buildings in college campuses. Who would have thought that teenagers and young adults would be so fanciful?
Same myth at DePaul about the brutalist "fortress" on campus, the Schmitt Academic Center (SAC). It did stand up pretty well against siege, but not in the way intended (according to the myth, at least); pretty soon after being built, it got occupied by the black student union.

Then there was the "cheese grater" building McGaw Hall (recently demolished) that, according to lore, had the steel screen to protect against students hurling rocks. Never mind that the building originally belonged to a seminary.

Though it was fun to daydream about how one would go about defending/attacking these buildings when I was bored in class.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 2:54 AM

At Champaign I think they still tell Freshmen that the Foreign Language building was built as an upside down pyramid so that it would topple over during an earthquake and not crush the huge mainframe computer in the basement. Inventing fake explanations for architecture is pretty common. Especially when gullible freshmen are involved.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:26 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
At Champaign I think they still tell Freshmen that the Foreign Language building was built as an upside down pyramid so that it would topple over during an earthquake and not crush the huge mainframe computer in the basement. Inventing fake explanations for architecture is pretty common. Especially when gullible freshmen are involved.
Yup I was definitely told that and believed it lol

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:27 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post

What a shame. Some developers just have zero imagination. Seems like it would be very possible to save the two-story portion of the building, and build six stories behind it where the one-story portion is now. Units on the third floor would get sweet roof terraces overlooking the park, and with a southern exposure to boot.

That's two stories of free facade just sitting there, with way more detail and character than anything they could afford to build today. So much value that they're just throwing away.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 10:14 PM

Im sorry if i started a fight here. I just wanted to implement that this campus has some serious landscape advantage. And it may do some good for chicago.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 5:23 PM

Since nobody's come out and said it, the point of the slit windows was to allow optimal light levels in, prevent glare, and avoid excess solar heat gain, so that window treatments would not be needed. Not to mention the textural aesthetics.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 10:35 PM

^ I like it.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 12:13 PM

MIlle West Loop - site prep

Quote:
An exclusive building with just 12 individual units, Mille at 1000 W Monroe features finely appointed luxury residences within the heart of the West Loop. Compelling architecture and thoughtful space planning combine to create uniquely personable homes, including a selection with east-facing, sweeping city views. Every unit in the building comes with exceptional lifestyle accoutrements, such as custom Copat Italian cabinetry, Wolf and Sub-Zero appliances, and other refined finishes. Surround yourself with abundant comfort and brilliant style at 1000 W Monroe.
http://www.millewestloop.com/

Dec 25

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 1:03 PM

Illume Condos - 111 S Peoria

Dec 25

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 1:24 PM

171 N Aberdeen

Dec 25

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 1:57 PM

900W Washington

Dec 25

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development