HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:35 PM

Exclamation NFL coming back to LA?

Billionaire Ed Roski hopes so...possibly by 2009. Now, I'm not from LA or have I ever lived there but I do LOVE it there and when I read about this I had to post it. It doesn't sound as if the NFL is very interested in bringing a team to Los Angeles at this point, but they certainly do have a tempting offer before them in the form of Roski's current proposal. The proposal looks pretty cool but I don't know how people from LA feel about it, so comment away!

Here's the website detailing the stadium plan:
http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

Story from todays Times:

NFL in L.A. gets a new blueprint

Roski unveiling his plan for a stadium in the City of Industry, but is the league interested?

By Sam Farmer, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
April 17, 2008

Convinced he can succeed where so many before him have failed, billionaire developer Ed Roski today will unveil plans for a proposed NFL stadium in the City of Industry, aimed at luring the league back to the Los Angeles area.

NFL executives have already visited the site, which is near the intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways, and have had several conversations with Roski.

The league routinely had those meetings with other people interested in developing other football stadiums around Southern California, which has been without an NFL team since the Raiders and Rams left after the 1994 season.

"I think this is important for Los Angeles, for the fabric of the city," said Roski, who along with Philip Anschutz built Staples Center. "The city has done real well without the NFL, and the NFL has done real well without the city. But I think it's important to have a professional football team in Los Angeles."

Roski's proposal is different from most because he controls the land necessary to build the stadium, training facilities and related development; and he already has a certified environmental impact report for the site.

The proposal suffered a setback Wednesday when state lawmakers blocked an effort by the City of Industry to divert $820 million in property tax revenue to use it for development subsidies.

Roski said that if an NFL team is willing to relocate, construction on the stadium can begin this fall and be finished in time for the 2011 season. He added the team could begin playing in Los Angeles by the 2009 season, and conceivably use the Coliseum or Rose Bowl as a temporary home in the interim.

Roski said the design of his stadium will save hundreds of millions of dollars in construction costs. Plans call for two-thirds of the venue to be built into the existing hillside, eliminating the need for as much steel and concrete to support the superstructure. Also, the concept puts all the suites and club areas on one side of the stadium, allowing for those to be housed in a lower-cost structure than those of typical stadiums.

To coincide with today's news conference, Roski's development team has created a website ( www.losangelesfootballstadium.com ) that provides more information on the proposal.

For the last few years, league owners and executives have made it clear that returning to L.A. is not among their top priorities.

At the moment, the league is focused on working out its differences with the players union, improving its revenue-sharing system between clubs, and reaching more households with the league-owned NFL Network.

sam.farmer@latimes.com
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,6367185.story

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 6:05 PM

the location is terrible, I would never go to this in a million years. City of Industry, are you kidding me...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 6:32 PM

^ I agree. It's a horrible choice. The only place I would be very excited for any NFL team to return to LA, is in LA - at the Coliseum.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 8:11 PM

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 10:55 PM

LA needs a football team like it needs a monster truck rally.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 11:57 PM
FlyyyFALiiFe

I don't know if I'm imagining things, but Ed Roski wants to build LA Live all over again in City of Industry. A theater, a football stadium, office space and retail???

Forget about the NY / LA comparisons.. looks like City of Industry wants to be like LA. ???

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 1:44 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy View Post
I don't know if I'm imagining things, but Ed Roski wants to build LA Live all over again in City of Industry. A theater, a football stadium, office space and retail???

Forget about the NY / LA comparisons.. looks like City of Industry wants to be like LA. ???

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com

I saw this on the news this morning. While it's a awesome idea, what the hell is wrong with the Coliseum?? Ed Roski sure is bold (he said that construction could start in the fall) and he also wants either the New Orelans Saints, Pittsburg Steelers, or the San Diego Chargers to move here.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
I saw this on the news this morning. While it's a awesome idea, what the hell is wrong with the Coliseum?? Ed Roski sure is bold (he said that construction could start in the fall) and he also wants either the New Orelans Saints, Pittsburg Steelers, or the San Diego Chargers to move here.
I agree, but I'll take it further. The city of Los Angeles should absolutely refuse to allow it's name to be attached to any team that does not play within the actual borders of the city proper and back it up with court action if needed - with extreme pressure to locate at the historic Coliseum. The City of Industry Steelers or Southern California Chargers just don't have the same ring or sense of recognition and that alone could provide a fair deal of leverage.

In a few years, light rail will service the area and such a proposition could really help turn the neighborhood surrounding Exposition Park around in a meaningful way if approached properly. Does the Coliseum need upgrading? Yes, of course it does, and would be part of any plan. But I also believe that any modifications should not destroy it's basic historic ambiance. Rather, it should enhance it in a respectful manner. There's just too many positives to be gained by the city to allow any other plan to go down with it's blessing.

It's the only move that makes sense.

Nice!!!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 3:05 AM
Ascension

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 3:32 AM

^ Nice images, yes. And I'm sure the suburban dwellers would feel nice and safe attending a game there, however there's no reason something comparable can't be done at the Coliseum/Exposition Park and surrounding neighborhood. Think another zone equivalent to L.A. Live, only with a historic centerpiece. It's not even at the geographic center of the region, let alone the population center:

See how the Westside, South Bay and SFV (even a portion of DT!) are all outside of the 25 mile radius? And almost half of the area is comprised of the Angeles National Forest (and a good chunk of the Clevland National Forest)! The Coliseum is much more central geographically and population wise, as well as much better served by freeways and public transportation - which will only get better in the future with the addition of the aqua line, or whatever color they're calling it these days.

Nice!!!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 3:36 AM
California goth

Wow. What a terrible stadium. looks like citywalk on steroids. absolutely terrible. the colesium needs a state of the art renovation. it needs to do to expo what staples center did/is doing for south park.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 3:40 AM
California goth

i mean whatever i have no problem with roski plopping down a stadium there. industry steelers sounds kinda cool. san gabriel valley saints might be okay too. but please lets not have this stadium do anything with los angeles.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 3:51 AM

This proposal is worse than every other proposal for an NFL stadium in LA. I'd easily take the Rose Bowl, Coliseum, Anaheim, Carson, etc. ideas before this one.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 3:52 AM

Someone asked what's wrong with the Coliseum? Just about everything. It doesn't have enough parking. I know that people can take the Expo line, but that won't put money in the owners pockets. It doesn't have real luxury boxes. It was also built for track and field and the stadium is too large for football. They had to move the field all the way to one end which makes the other end of the stadium unusable.

It's also still controlled by the Coliseum Commission which is a highly political group that has refused to negotiate with the NFL. They feel that they can do this because the City of Los Angeles voted not to allow the NFL to pursue a stadium anywhere in the city besides the Coliseum. This despite the fact that the NFL owners have made it clear that they will not award a new team to the Coliseum. That's why this is in Industry and not Los Angeles.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Someone asked what's wrong with the Coliseum? Just about everything. It doesn't have enough parking. I know that people can take the Expo line, but that won't put money in the owners pockets. It doesn't have real luxury boxes. It was also built for track and field and the stadium is too large for football. They had to move the field all the way to one end which makes the other end of the stadium unusable.

It's also still controlled by the Coliseum Commission which is a highly political group that has refused to negotiate with the NFL. They feel that they can do this because the City of Los Angeles voted not to allow the NFL to pursue a stadium anywhere in the city besides the Coliseum. This despite the fact that the NFL owners have made it clear that they will not award a new team to the Coliseum. That's why this is in Industry and not Los Angeles.
I guess more parking can't be built near the Coliseum then? Shit - Roski's proposal requires a "mountain" to be moved:

So I imagine more parking structures (though I hate 'em) could be built for the Coliseum and any adjoining "entertainment district" if need be.

I guess luxury boxes can't be added, either then? Nor the stands be reconfigured? Doing this still has the be less of a feat than starting from scratch and moving mountains for a stadium that isn't even centrally located, and it doesn't have to harm the basic historical shell of the existing structure.

The city needs to get with the program here...

Nice!!!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Park View Post
Wow. What a terrible stadium. looks like citywalk on steroids. absolutely terrible.

It's just fine to me. Maybe it should be built around the L.A River where development has been slower as of late.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Park View Post
i mean whatever i have no problem with roski plopping down a stadium there. industry steelers sounds kinda cool. san gabriel valley saints might be okay too. but please lets not have this stadium do anything with los angeles.
Only problem is no one outside of the region knows where the hell either of these places are, nor gives a shit. As I said, no name recognition.

Nice!!!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post

It's just fine to me. Maybe it should be built around the L.A River where development has been slower as of late.
We already have an existing stadium with a grand historic past. Why should we waste resources and more $$ than needed by starting completely from scratch? Realizing, of course, any reconfiguration at the Coliseum will cost major bucks too... just not nearly as much.

Also, keep in mind the much needed revitalization that would be realized around Expo Park... with more prestige and momentum for DT in it's wake. I think the city's doing right by forcing the Coliseum issue, but they really need to convince the NFL that they are wanted and welcomed here and that the city is willing to work with them.

Nice!!!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 4:27 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post

Find space near the LA River for a football stadium.

And I don't see why LA can't do to the Coliseum what Chicago did to Soldier Field.

What's wrong with this?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 4:29 AM

They should put that stadium somewhere in the Industrial District in Downtown perhaps just east of Los Angeles Street and connect it with public transit with some type of rail or monorail to teh Metro Rail Lines and Union Station. Then it would really help to revitalize the entire area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West