HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 5:00 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I live very near Chocolate Bar and have been there once. The shit espresso I got made me never want to return.

It's not a dessert place per se since there's no eat-in option, but the chocolates from Epiphanie (on 11 St SW, by Galaxie Diner) are just mind-blowing.

Good coffeehouses have good desserts. Some source from eg Manuel Latruwe or Sidewalk Citizen (Kawa, Phil & Sebastian) and some have their own in-house baking (Bumpys, which closes at 4pm; Caffe Rosso, Caffe Beano).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 6:07 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Not fancy food, but the former Boston Pizza in Falconridge is being renovated into a Swiss Chalet. We had been wishing for a closer Swiss Chalet for a while.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:55 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I live very near Chocolate Bar and have been there once. The shit espresso I got made me never want to return.

It's not a dessert place per se since there's no eat-in option, but the chocolates from Epiphanie (on 11 St SW, by Galaxie Diner) are just mind-blowing.

Good coffeehouses have good desserts. Some source from eg Manuel Latruwe or Sidewalk Citizen (Kawa, Phil & Sebastian) and some have their own in-house baking (Bumpys, which closes at 4pm; Caffe Rosso, Caffe Beano).
I haven't heard any reviews of the Chocolate Bar and have yet to hear of anyone that raves about it. While in Fernie recently found this choclatier called Beanpod. They have some old milling machines and process starts from the raw cacao pod. Amazing what one can do with chocolate. I'll have to check out those coffeehouses you recommended. Caffe Rosso is near my 'hood and didn't know of it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
I haven't heard any reviews of the Chocolate Bar and have yet to hear of anyone that raves about it. While in Fernie recently found this choclatier called Beanpod. They have some old milling machines and process starts from the raw cacao pod. Amazing what one can do with chocolate. I'll have to check out those coffeehouses you recommended. Caffe Rosso is near my 'hood and didn't know of it.
Name escapes me, but there's a place in Inglewood that makes it's own chocolate. I think it's called Chocolat or something like that. Which reminds me, I recently ran into Benard Calibret at a coffee spot.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 8:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Name escapes me, but there's a place in Inglewood that makes it's own chocolate. I think it's called Chocolat or something like that. Which reminds me, I recently ran into Benard Calibret at a coffee spot.
Yup, Choklat on 9th. All organic and apparently the only place in Calgary the makes the chocolate from scratch (That's what they say, anyway).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 9:33 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
You mean Bernard Callebaut? F. Thanks for reminding how some highfalutin' lawyer stole his real name.

Appreciate the tip for Choklat in Inglewood, will have to check it out.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
You mean Bernard Callebaut? F. Thanks for reminding how some highfalutin' lawyer stole his real name.

Appreciate the tip for Choklat in Inglewood, will have to check it out.
The one and the same.
I've heard good things about Choklat. Supposidly they're are very few places that make their own chocolate from scratch. Even Bernie had his shipped in.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:51 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Not fancy food, but the former Boston Pizza in Falconridge is being renovated into a Swiss Chalet. We had been wishing for a closer Swiss Chalet for a while.
I just found out there was also a Mary Brown's in Falconridge too. Mary Brown's is only in Fort McMurray, Edmonton and Calgary currently (none in BC or SK). There used to be one in Whitecourt, but it closed. My Newfie friends and I drive all over Calgary to get some.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:13 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
I just found out there was also a Mary Brown's in Falconridge too. Mary Brown's is only in Fort McMurray, Edmonton and Calgary currently (none in BC or SK). There used to be one in Whitecourt, but it closed. My Newfie friends and I drive all over Calgary to get some.
There's been a Mary Brown's there for years.

I recommend Fritou Chicken on Saddletowne Circle though, if you want fried chicken.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:18 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Ohhhhhh for fried chicken PLEASE check out Olive Chicken on 10th Ave east of 14 St SW in the Korean plaza next to Community Natural Foods. Korean fried chicken with or without sweet-spicy sauce and absolutely amazing fries. Good prices too.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Ohhhhhh for fried chicken PLEASE check out Olive Chicken on 10th Ave east of 14 St SW in the Korean plaza next to Community Natural Foods. Korean fried chicken with or without sweet-spicy sauce and absolutely amazing fries. Good prices too.
Been there a few times, good stuff and good prices too. Hot and Sour.. mmm. Bakery next door is great too.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:42 AM
not a NIMBY

I love Olive's chicken and fries. Thanks for telling us about it Rusty!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:30 PM

Noticed on my way home yesterday that they have already changed the awning where Capo used to be. It's now called "The Fine Diner".

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:19 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
There's been a Mary Brown's there for years.

I recommend Fritou Chicken on Saddletowne Circle though, if you want fried chicken.
Me and my business partner went to Fritou today for lunch. service was lacking and took a while for food to get ready but the fried chicken and fries was decent! thanks for the tip

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:12 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
Me and my business partner went to Fritou today for lunch. service was lacking and took a while for food to get ready but the fried chicken and fries was decent! thanks for the tip
You are welcome. I have never had problems with the service when I've been there, but I've never been there for lunch either.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:45 PM

Just had lunch at the new Grumans deli on 11Ave (directly north of Keynote). Not bad little lunch spot, had the beef brisket which was quite tasty. Tried their ground chuck burger the other day which was also quite good. Nice to have another place to eat in the area.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:56 PM
Here and There

Quote:

I think the chocolate bar is under new ownership. It was amazing 5 years ago. I went there about 4 months ago and did not enjoy the experience. The new owners seem to think they are carpenters and had created all kind of ad-hoc table-thingy's and the glass for the food displays was filthy. I dont know how a place can go downhill like that compared to before. Is there no where to sit now??

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:57 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Putting this on the list......

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:58 PM
Here and There

Has anyone been to Paloma Mexican restaurant in the NE? You can get there by train and it is really good. I want to go back soon.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Just had lunch at the new Grumans deli on 11Ave (directly north of Keynote). Not bad little lunch spot, had the beef brisket which was quite tasty. Tried their ground chuck burger the other day which was also quite good. Nice to have another place to eat in the area.
I just noticed that place the other. Knowing they have brisket has just moved i up on my places to try for lunch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation