HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 4:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Belisle Chevrolet at Montreal Road and St. Laurent announced yesterday that they are closing and the land has been sold to a developer for high rise condos.
That's a fair-sized chunk of land, and could easily accommodate a multi-tower development:

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 4:10 PM

I guess that the dead are already used to the shade ;-)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
That's a fair-sized chunk of land, and could easily accommodate a multi-tower development:
So the bank and the body shop along St Laurent are not part of it. When I first read the headlines I was thinking of the GM dealer further to the south on the east side (Surgenor?).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
So the bank and the body shop along St Laurent are not part of it. When I first read the headlines I was thinking of the GM dealer further to the south on the east side (Surgenor?).
But they could be part of the assembly, but just purchased quietly.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
But they could be part of the assembly, but just purchased quietly.
I suspect the body shop would be pretty easy to purchase. This is really it's best chance at sale.

BMO will depend on what they want to do. If they can find another location nearby with what they have now (parking and whatnot), they might be willing. If not, then probably no.

There is also the possibility of them going in the new development somehow.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 10:52 PM

On CFRA they mention in house leases will be transferred to Surgenor . I wonder if they might also pick up the Cadillac and Chevy brands too since they lost two brands (Hummer and Pontiac) when GM reorganized.

Surgenor did open a shinny new Hyundai dealership.

Last edited by c_speed3108; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 4:23 AM

surgenor did buy the lease portfolio. i'm involved in this but i can't mention further details.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Eaton would have closed its store sometime around 1995-1997 I would say.

After that for a while the space was a Laura clearance centre that looked quite crappy.

Then Laura moved into its permanent space near Archambault, and I think the space was vacant for several years before it was revamped for the Costco.
Oxford did a presser yesterday:
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/econ...0-millions.php

The old Eatons section was completly removed from les Promenades. The Costo building was totally new. The old Eatons space was empty for many years, true.

Oxford pretty much confirmed that if Simons comes they would take over the space on the front of the mall (Mega/CRA). Imagine a 2 story all glass front on there; would be pretty sweet looking. Also found it interesting they want to bring a grocer back into the mix. Good reasoning. The last grocer there was in the current Urban Planet space (Metro - moved up on Montee Paiement a few years back). That would have to be an expansion as there is no space in that mall big enough to house a grocery store. Wonder if they are trying to convince Market Fresh to join them?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:23 PM

You read the article and listen to these people talk and it's like Gatineau is an independant city. A region of 300,000 people; no, it's 1.4 million with Ottawa a short drive to shop at more prominant malls like Rideau and St-Laurent.

But don't get me wrong, it's great for Gatineau, maybe less so for Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:32 PM

I think many people in the land of poutine and pepsi would rather stay on that side if they had a real destination shopping mall. Parking at Rideau is unappealing and you have to go through downtown to get to St. Laurent. I think they might be on to something with talks of a Simons and a renovation.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
You read the article and listen to these people talk and it's like Gatineau is an independant city. A region of 300,000 people; no, it's 1.4 million with Ottawa a short drive to shop at more prominant malls like Rideau and St-Laurent.

It *is* an independent city. Though your points are correct but of course it is to Oxford's advantage to have Gatinois shop at Les Promenades since they own that mall.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:

Do people from Gatineau come to Ottawa much to shop? I lived in Ottawa for over 30 years and think I only went to (as opposed to through) Gatineau about a half dozen times. The only time I ever shopped there was once when I stop at the SAQ at the end of the bridge.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:46 PM

When I lived in Gatineau, we use to go to Ottawa at least once a week.
And I should specify what I mean by "independent city", a city that can survive without the others in the Metro area, i. e., without Ottawa (say Québec separates), Gatineau is completely screwed, but without Gatineau (in this case, Gatineau disappears, not a Qc separation, in which case we would be screwed), Ottawa has a few to many jobs, a good problem to have.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Gatineau people shopping in Ottawa - depends. Some go all the time. Some never go. It's probably a lot less common than your typical suburb-to-city shopping patterns elsewhere in NA.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Gatineau people shopping in Ottawa - depends. Some go all the time. Some never go. It's probably a lot less common than your typical suburb-to-city shopping patterns elsewhere in NA.
I think people from the Aylmer sector would head to Ottawa, as it is just as close as coming to Gatineau proper. No shopping in Aylmer to speak of really.

For les Hulloise I would say less than Aylmer more than Gatineau. As le Plateau grows that may keep more people in the area. Plus, Hull is not far from Gatineau (where most of the national chains are for the Outaouais).

And for those who live in Gatineau proper, I would say they go over the least. Most everything here now. Once Target opens and if Simons is installed, the mall will improve. Being anglo, I find the resto selection the only thing lacking in the Outaouais.

We go once a month or so on average, but more around Christmas. Since we moved here last year, we have come to the realization that we have everything we need right here. Some small exceptions; Five Guys sadly being one ;-)

Would be interesting to see some numbers on that (figure Oxford has them), as many retailers now (attempt to) collect your postal code at check out.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Could be; the Gat-OT pattern might depend on the persons origins. We went to OT often because we were a Franco-Ontarian family living in Québec, so we better identified with the institutions (cinemas, malls, hospitals...) in Ottawa. My French-Quebecer freinds seem to lean towards getting everything done on the Québec side.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post

Would be interesting to see some numbers on that (figure Oxford has them), as many retailers now (attempt to) collect your postal code at check out.
I used to ask the clerk "why" when my postal code was requested, but that seemed to be putting them on the spot for something they have no control over, so now I just give them an old one that I remember from Kitchener. Am I just getting curmudgeonly in my old age?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
I think Gatineau getting this mall renovation, as well as it's own highway to Montreal, is good for Ottawa and the region. It's competition. Perhaps Gatineau growing will light a fire under Ottawa's complacent butt.

One of the great things about the GTA is that municipalities are connected in areas where they need to be, but they also compete in areas where they need to compete. The 905 is getting aggressive about catching up to Toronto. I wouldn't mind if Gatineau got more aggressive- build a library and more condos downtown, build a new convention centre, build a Byward Market knock off in the Gatineau sector. At the end of the day we'll only grow as a metro area.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I used to ask the clerk "why" when my postal code was requested, but that seemed to be putting them on the spot for something they have no control over, so now I just give them an old one that I remember from Kitchener. Am I just getting curmudgeonly in my old age?
It's probably for the distribution of flyers.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 12:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Could be; the Gat-OT pattern might depend on the persons origins. We went to OT often because we were a Franco-Ontarian family living in Québec, so we better identified with the institutions (cinemas, malls, hospitals...) in Ottawa. My French-Quebecer freinds seem to lean towards getting everything done on the Québec side.
I have seen this as well. My family has Franco-Ontarian origins and in the first years there was always a reflex to go over to Ottawa for a lot of stuff. As time wore on we found ourselves going less and less. Although perhaps we still go over more often than Gatineau-born people do.

One thing people don't realize is that a lot of Franco-Ontarians when doing stuff like shopping and such can actually feel a bit out of place in Quebec where everything is in French. Often they are so used to shopping and doing everyday life things in English that they don't know the exact terms in French or understand what people in Quebec are using as names for certain items. Which is why some of them will prefer to do their stuff in Ottawa where everything is in English - oddly enough.

Having everything in French took some getting used to for us when we first moved to Quebec.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy