HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 9:43 PM

Vancouver named top sports city in North America (Seriously)

By: The Canadian Press

Date: Thursday May. 6, 2010 6:30 PM PT

Vancouver welcomed the world for the Olympics, and that's earned it the title of top sports city in North America.

The West Coast metropolis placed sixth when ranked globally in the annual listing by SportBusiness Group, behind Melbourne, Singapore, London, Berlin and Sydney.

Twenty-five cities made the initial cut based on their history of hosting sports events, and then were interviewed and ranked.

Criteria included the number of annual sports events held, major events held or won between 2006 and 2014, number of federations hosted, sports venues, transportation, legacy and public sports interest.

VANOC head John Furlong says the whole country can take pride in the award, because during the 2010 winter Games "every Canadian was a Vancouver native in their hearts" and every Vancouverite was "a proud Canadian."

Vancouver and neighbouring cities have also recently hosted the World Police and Fire Games, the Triathlon ITU World Championships and the FIS Snowboard World Cup, along with several major runs and the Stanley Park Open tennis tournament.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...ritishColumbia

It seems like these lists are questionable at best but now that we are offically number one , where can we go from here? What venues, sports teams or events could/should be added to the Vancouver to make it an even more sports friendly?

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 10:05 PM

loll....i laughed a little when i read this though I suppose it does make sense with the Olympics we just had and its incredibly full stadiums and all the fans that were in the streets.

Well, we have the MLS coming...hopefully a Waterfront stadium can still be built in the near future. And BC Place is getting a big rehaul of course.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 10:12 PM

Well, I suppose for 2010 that would be fair Any other year...

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 10:29 PM
Cheers!

For "public sports interest", if that includes participation in sports, then it really makes sense.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 10:58 PM

Yeah, not "professional sports" city...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation