HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 4:27 PM
She needs her space

Sunday evening (June 1):

Hard to imagine that some of these brick structures might be gone in the end :

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 9:09 PM
Only Mostly Dead

According to this note on BisNow, they will start putting up structural steel in late summer or early fall.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 8:30 AM

Snipit from The Chronicle

Transbay Transit Center will open without signature park

J.K. Dineen

June 25, 2014 | Updated: June 25, 2014 11:08pm
Pedestrians pass the site of the future Transbay Terminal on 415 Mission St. in San Francisco, Calif. on Wednesday, June 25, 2015, 2014. The Transbay Terminal will not be able to open with a public rooftop park without the aide of the private sector.

James Tensuan, The Chronicle

The future Transbay Transit Center, in an area short of green space, was designed with a rooftop park that helped win support for the project. The $1.9 billion development could open without the park unless more funding can be found.
The $1.9 billion Transbay Transit Center will open without its signature rooftop park unless the city of San Francisco can come up with $24 million in private donations and nonprofit grants to pay for the green space.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 3:50 PM
She needs her space

$24MM? We all know that will turn into $150MM, lol. However, that's chump change for this city and I can't imagine out of all the bazillionaires here someone not finding it in them to seek naming rights for a signature park!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 8:12 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
$24MM? We all know that will turn into $150MM, lol. However, that's chump change for this city and I can't imagine out of all the bazillionaires here someone not finding it in them to seek naming rights for a signature park!

SocketSite says $300 million over That is definitely not chump change.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...k-delayed.html

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 11:11 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
SocketSite says $300 million over That is definitely not chump change.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...k-delayed.html
The project is $300 million over. That is why they are delaying the park. They are saying that to build the park they would only need $24 million. I number that seems like chump change for many of these developers. I wouldnt be surprised if some these tower developers with direct park connection make an effort to pool some extra money together.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 3:37 PM
Droppin' Loads

And...it seems the park is somehow back on. I'm not exactly sure how $24 million became $37 million in a few days...

Quote:
Hope for Transbay park after all
By J.K. Dineen, San Francisco Chronicle

(06-30) 19:32 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- The 2017 opening of the $37 million Transbay Transit Center Rooftop Park is back on - but how the city is going to pay for it is, like the green space itself, very much up in the air.

Less than a week after The Chronicle reported that cost overruns would delay the construction of the 5.4-acre elevated park until after the transit center opens, staffers from Mayor Ed Lee's administration say they will make sure the park opens at the same time at the Transit Center. That's scheduled for late 2017.

On Monday Ken Rich, development director from the Mayor's Office of Economic and Workforce Development, said the mayor is "committed to making it happen."

"We would like to find a different source of funding - that is what we are working on," Rich said...
Full article: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ck-5591531.php

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 5:29 PM

Exclamation

Hines was supposed to fund the park initially. They were also supposed to give the city $350 million for the land of the tower and ended up giving them half that. SF is so inept at development and planning for the future. Even LA, known for its car centric lifestyle, is building a new downtown transit hub that will connect many forms of rail and buses. Right now, Transbay is the most expensive transit hub under construction in the world, and is so far only a bus stop for MUNI, AC Transit, and Greyhound. This is becoming more of a burden then a boon for the city, unless real politicians are elected that will solve the problems of getting CalTrain extended and HSR built, providing access to BART and MUNI metro from the terminal, and extending the light rail/ subway down to Fisherman's wharf and down Geary. .
Right now, SF is becoming more car centric than LA!

And not to mention the new Bay Bridge, the most expensive infrastructure project in California history, which is now mostly defective less than a year after opening. It's stuff like this that incites movements like the Tea Party and other anarchist groups.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Hines was supposed to fund the park initially. They were also supposed to give the city $350 million for the land of the tower and ended up giving them half that. SF is so inept at development and planning for the future. Even LA, known for its car centric lifestyle, is building a new downtown transit hub that will connect many forms of rail and buses. Right now, Transbay is the most expensive transit hub under construction in the world, and is so far only a bus stop for MUNI, AC Transit, and Greyhound. This is becoming more of a burden then a boon for the city, unless real politicians are elected that will solve the problems of getting CalTrain extended and HSR built, providing access to BART and MUNI metro from the terminal, and extending the light rail/ subway down to Fisherman's wharf and down Geary. .
Right now, SF is becoming more car centric than LA!

And not to mention the new Bay Bridge, the most expensive infrastructure project in California history, which is now mostly defective less than a year after opening. It's stuff like this that incites movements like the Tea Party and other anarchist groups.
San Francisco: your tax dollars go shorter here!

thankfully, we aren't becoming more car centric, but only because we don't have much of a road/highway infrastructure, there's almost no parking, and housing is so expensive, most people can't afford a car

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:18 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^^I can't argue with the rest of it, but you have to blame CalTrans (or maybe also Oakland officials for insisting on something iconic) for the cost and time on the Bay Bridge. SF had nothing to do with that.

Still not much to see, and I think it will be Fall at best before we see steel rising given what I can tell anyway.

Here, you can see they still have work to do on the walls below street level:

This is really from 181 Fremont, but you can see a bit of the terminal site in the background:

The far west end (with 222 Second St under construction in the background:

Edit: Just read an article that says the steel should arrive in October.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Last edited by peanut gallery; Aug 27, 2014 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 9:10 PM
She needs her space

Apparently steel is on-site and will be assembled by two cranes. Bisnow reports that the pieces for the first crane arrived yesterday and are being assembled. I'm assuming they are referring to tower cranes, but haven't been out to check it out today. Steel assembly to "begin in earnest" in a week or two.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:52 PM
Droppin' Loads

Awesome! Thanks for the info simms. It will be cool to finally see this coming out of the ground.

Now if only they would resolve the mello roos....

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 12:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Let me take a guess. Skanska was involved?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 2:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 8:08 AM
She needs her space

Looks like crawlers will be lifting steel.

San Francisco Early October 2014 014 by simms3sf, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:19 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^I read somewhere that that is indeed the case. Shouldn't be long now until this starts rising out of the huge hole.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 6:12 AM
She needs her space

Steel rising:

Heavier machinery along Howard:

Originally thought this crane might be for 41 Tehama, but on closer inspection it is also for the TBTC.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 11:01 PM
Get me out of here

From the Transbay Transit Center Project on Facebook

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 12:03 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Going vertical at last. I wonder if we'll soon hear something official and more concrete about that mini-Bay Bridge approach from I-80. It's been in tons of renderings but I haven't seen anything that confirms it or really any mention of it verbally or in writing.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Going vertical at last. I wonder if we'll soon hear something official and more concrete about that mini-Bay Bridge approach from I-80. It's been in tons of renderings but I haven't seen anything that confirms it or really any mention of it verbally or in writing.
It's actually under construction now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development