HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 10:52 AM

I could also see the built form being a function of the ownership structure - I'm assuming the land is leased from TFN - so at the end of the ground lease, the facilities would be handed back to TFN.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
This development upsets me... I agree that it's a waste of prime farm land, and as American style, outer-suburban sprawly as possible.
Are you sure that it is "prime" farm land? Many of the gripes against the Southlands development surrounded the loss of farm land that was later found to be of poor quality, by the farmers themselves.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The landlord is Ivanhoe Cambridge - also owner of...

Oakridge Centre
Richmond Centre
Guildford Town Centre

So it knows how to densify...
yea that makes this development even worse, they know better

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Much more recent pic:

Tsawwassen Mills will feature 1.2 million square feet of retail space, including 16 anchor tenants. Photograph By submitted
http://www.delta-optimist.com/news/t...ning-1.1761575
Pic from a "somewhat" similar angle (actually west from the western boundary of the pre-load) from back in the late 1950's when the Tsawwassen Ferry Causeway was still under construction:

[Courtesy: Gary Cullen]

And yep. The shopping centre developers have a 99-year leasehold agreement with the TFN. Tsawwassen is my old stomping ground (even today) and my gut tells me that this venture will not work out too well. Suspect quite a bit of vacancy 5 years after opening.

IMHO, the TFN would have been better off financially with a phased residential development on its entire land-base. And yes, again, all 99-year leaseholds.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 11:34 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukmuk64 View Post
Golf's popularity is in free fall too. Everything about this feels to me like it'll end in disaster.
and the golf course is already built .... has nothing to do with the current TFN Projects .......

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
and the golf course is already built .... has nothing to do with the current TFN Projects .......
Oh yeah I just saw it in the image and did some googling but couldn't really determine if that was part of the TFN development or not, but I made the point anyway because I think the point still stands for Tsawwassen development in general.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 2:34 AM
Vancouver Moderator

That highway really needs to be a freeway too.. If this is a success, those intersections are going to be brutal.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 4:40 AM

This mall will be a success. It's modeled after Vaughan Mills in Markham and Crossiron Mills just outside of Calgary. Both of those malls are incredibly popular.

I agree with many of you in that the whole thing is very disappointing from an urban design and regional planning POV. There is no way this would have ever been built in Vancouver on municipal property (i.e. not on first nation land).

At least they are widening the road to the ferry terminal to 6 lanes. But you're right red-paladin, the couple of intersections butting up against this thing will be brutal. Think Federal Way brutal!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
This mall will be a success. It's modeled after Vaughan Mills in Markham and Crossiron Mills just outside of Calgary. Both of those malls are incredibly popular.
That's largely dependent on the retailers they get.
If they get unique ones, then they'll be drawing cards.

Ivanhoe Cambridge probably has the clout to get top notch retailers.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 9:11 PM

i think if its trying to attract outlet stores many of them are opening at the airport, gap factory and banana republic are usually in mills malls but they are opening at the airport, j crew too and i don't see them opening at both places, but you never know

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 9:17 PM

Could be that the YVR outlets would be a North of Fraser (Vancouver) location,
and Tsawwassen Mills would be a South of Fraser (Surrey/Delta) location.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 9:20 PM

there are a lot of outlet stores at morgan crossing in south surrey, banana republic, gap, lucky brand jeans, roots etc. which isn't that far either.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 5:56 AM

Some new info on the retail development adjacent to Tsawwassen Mills:

Quote:
More tenants at Tsawwassen Commons
Outdoor mall adjacent to Tsawwassen Mills on TFN land features over 100 retail spaces

As construction continues on Tsawwassen Mills at the Tsawwassen First Nation, Property Development Group, the developer behind the adjacent Tsawwassen Commons mall, has a website (tsawwassencommons.ca) that's been quietly up and running with information on the layout, the latest tenants as well as just how many retailers are planned.

Walmart and Rona were confirmed as anchor tenants last year, but the website now shows retailers such as Canadian Tire, Petsmart, Mark's Work Wearhouse and Dollarama have also signed.

As well, there are a number of eating establishments on board, including Menchies, Triple O's, Starbucks, Tim Hortons and Quiznos.

Of the more than 100 retail spaces in Tsawwassen Commons, over 30 others have leases "pending" while the remainder are termed as "available."

While the construction of Tsawwassen Mills, which will comprise over 1.2 million-square feet of retail space, is well underway, construction of Tsawwassen Commons, comprising 550,000 square feet of outdoor space, will start this spring. It will be ready in time for the May 2016 grand opening of both malls, said Property Development Group chair Laurence Rank.

http://www.delta-optimist.com/news/m...mons-1.1776645

I took a look at the leasing plan and counted space for no less than SEVEN drive-thru retailers. I guess they are expecting a lot of traffic - the Tim Horton's drive-thru is so long it wraps around nine other units. Yuck!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 4:57 PM

There's going to be all of that traffic to and from the ferry, so drive-thrus are pretty logical. There would be a lot more drive-thru's in Vancouver were it not for current regulations as such locations make far more money than regular ones.

Last edited by dreambrother808; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 12:07 AM

Map from above article makes me confused. What is that HUGE grey building?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Map from above article makes me confused. What is that HUGE grey building?
That looks to be the actual enclosed mall. The map is showing the power centre layout.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 12:36 AM

This mall will be so American, it will make all of Seattle jealous. Border stations will be crowded with Americans making a pilgrimage to this shopping Mecca armed with their credit cards and more valuable dollar.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 1:04 AM

There's also Queensborough Landing - now SmartCentres New Westminster:

http://www.smartcentres.com/location...westminster-bc

and Grandview Corners in South Surrey / Morgan Crossing:

http://www.smartcentres.com/locations/surrey-s-bc

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:31 AM
Vancouver Moderator

And the horrible new Freemont Village in Poco: http://www.fremontvillage.ca/directory/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:37 AM

Hehe, Scottsdale is also quite similar. I had a huge donut craving yesterday evening and so I drove to Krispy Kreme in Scottsdale (the only in whole B.C.). On my way back I decided to drive along 120th Street to New Westminster (never driven that road before) and it felt like I would have been in States. That whole street is your typical American suburban strip mall...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley