HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 6:34 PM

Does anyone on here know what is going in over at Fashion Place Mall? They have the Taco Bell, and the parking lot next to it where they tore the old Applebees down all fenced off, and have a construction trailer over there. I tried Google to see if I could find a permit of some kind and tried googling construction projects over there but couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm typing the wrong keywords in or something? Thanks in advance if anyone knows or can tell me how to look it up better.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerop View Post
Does anyone on here know what is going in over at Fashion Place Mall? They have the Taco Bell, and the parking lot next to it where they tore the old Applebees down all fenced off, and have a construction trailer over there. I tried Google to see if I could find a permit of some kind and tried googling construction projects over there but couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm typing the wrong keywords in or something? Thanks in advance if anyone knows or can tell me how to look it up better.
Took me a while but I found it- A Shake Shack is going there

https://www.murrayjournal.com/2019/0...s-or-a-theater
Quote:
Assisted living and rehabilitation centers are not exempt from Murray’s property taxes, which fund Murray’s schools, public safety department and infrastructure, among other things. However, retail contributes both property and sales tax to Murray’s coffers. Auto sales contribute significantly to Murray’s tax base, and some are expanding. The former Towers Plumbing property on State Street has been purchased by Larry H. Miller for car sales expansion. An America First Credit Union will also open on that site. A Shake Shack was announced to go into the former Applebees by Fashion Place Mall, while the Planning Commission voted to endorse changing the zoning of the 900 East former Kmart site from commercial to mixed us (commercial and residential).

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:09 PM

Hey thank you billbillbillbill, good find. That will be a good addition to the area over by the mall, my wife will be happy it's not another chain that we already have a dime a dozen here. That was also an interesting article in the Murray Journal talking about what they are hoping to do with the surrounding area over there in Murray. Hopefully they can get some businesses to come in like they are hoping in some of that vacant building space over there, there's tons of potential for that whole area.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanFlaneur View Post
Hi All. I've been checking on development in the Salt Lake area via this forum for a LONG time now and thought it was finally time for a first post.

I may have missed a previous post on the development below, but I think it may have flown under the radar, so I'll post a link below(or rather text to copy and paste -- the 'insert link' button on here does some strange things):

https://sslc.com/uploads/PC_Staff_Re...ision_Fina.pdf

This is located at the SW corner of Utopia Ave. and Main Street and includes a ten story mixed-use residential building and a six story mixed use office building with plans for another. The developer is Dakota Pacific and I think it can add some considerable momentum to the development game in the downtown SSL area.

I hope this post works - thanks for reading!
I've been looking at this development. I think it's great mixed-use density for the area, but I'm REALLY concerned about the plan to put a freeway exit on Main Street and I-80. There are already interchanges on 2100 South and State Street, and putting one on Main Street not only seems unnecessary, but feels antithetical to South Salt Lake's attempt to create a walkable downtown. Unfortunately this is Utah, and between our car-oriented mindset and UDOT's car first, second, and third mentality, I don't see a lot of opposition to this brewing. But I wish there would be and I want to be able to do something about it.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 5:26 AM
The Drifter

New temple announced for Taylorsville, Utah. Let the speculation commence on where it will be built. When it comes to open land within Taylorsville City limits there isn’t much available for something the size of a temple. 6200 south and 3200 west and the land behind the cemetery off 2200 West and 6500 south are my two best guesses. Others have stated the old stake center off 47th and I-215 could be used as it’s the largest plot of land owned by the LDS church with a chapel on it. Though, the church doesn’t make a habit of building temples in Utah right up against a freeway and in retail/commercial areas.

P.S. lets keep this civil with no bigotry. Let’s all respect each other’s beliefs and lifestyle choices.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
New temple announced for Taylorsville, Utah. Let the speculation commence on where it will be built. When it comes to open land within Taylorsville City limits there isn’t much available for something the size of a temple. 6200 south and 3200 west and the land behind the cemetery off 2200 West and 6500 south are my two best guesses. Others have stated the old stake center off 47th and I-215 could be used as it’s the largest plot of land owned by the LDS church with a chapel on it. Though, the church doesn’t make a habit of building temples in Utah right up against a freeway and in retail/commercial areas.

P.S. lets keep this civil with no bigotry. Let’s all respect each other’s beliefs and lifestyle choices.
A good location of size is to the West of Bangerter at 5400 South, where the K-Mart and Albertsons used to be. They can reroute a through road in the area. There is already a natural hill so that it could be seen from a larger distance.

Taylorsville has had problems getting any type of development to work in that area due to the weird access.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:35 AM
Exit 298

I too, considered the land behind the cemetery as my top pick.

I was also looking at the UDOT surplus property along the eastern edge of Bangerter Highway between 54th and 62nd. The LDS church likes to develop land next to their temples, so perhaps they bought the entire parcel and want to build the temple tucked into the neighborhood surrounded by high-end housing around it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:35 PM

That huge plot of UDOT land on 6200 south between 3200 west and Bangerter is now turning into a massive retirement community called Summit Vista with plans for like 13 senior apartment buildings. It would be the ultimate amenity to those retirees to have the temple there. That is my prediction.

I'd love to see the Kmart site updated but not sure the city would want to lose that much potential commercial space with it's potential sales/property tax?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
That huge plot of UDOT land on 6200 south between 3200 west and Bangerter is now turning into a massive retirement community called Summit Vista with plans for like 13 senior apartment buildings. It would be the ultimate amenity to those retirees to have the temple there. That is my prediction.

I'd love to see the Kmart site updated but not sure the city would want to lose that much potential commercial space with it's potential sales/property tax?
The West Point Shopping Center (Kmart site) has sat mostly vacant for years. It has plenty of room for a temple. It's an elevated site. I'm also guessing the owners are tired of paying taxes on a property that has bad business access. On the downside, it would be right next to a busy expressway and the third busiest intersection in the state and next to the state liquor store.

The I-215/4700 South site is already owned by the church but a temple would be a tight squeeze right next to the freeway, unless they demolish the chapel and rebuild. If they kept the existing chapel, it would have to share parking with the temple.

The cemetery owns all the available land by the 6500 South / 2200 West site. Not sure if they will sell. Also, I'm not sure whether or not the church leaders want a temple to have a cemetery fronting it on Redwood Road.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 5:50 AM

The UDOT property north of 6200 South was my first guess but I have ruled it out due to the fact that it is lower in elevation than the surrounding land and the church tends to build temples on a high point. I had not considered the old Kmart property on 5400 south. That seems like a good guess except for the liquor store being there. However, if they were able to move that than I could see them trying to create a type of city center there with the temple as the focal point.

A year or two ago I heard a rumor that there were big redevelopment plans for the area where Rancho Market use to be. I don't know if there was ever anything to that or if it feel through.

Another location I have considered is the vacant land behind American Express, there is allot of space there but it would also be next to a freeway.

My guess is that this will be a very small temple. I'm thinking something like the planned San Juan, PR temple. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by RC14; Oct 8, 2019 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 10:05 PM

This makes four Temples we have seen announced for the Wasatch Front, five if you count the greater Metro and Tooele. I don't imagine any of them will be as small as the San Juan, Puerto Rico Temple. LDS Temples along the Wasatch tend to plan for population growth, and the Westside is still growing rapidly. If any of these Temples are smaller perhaps more along the line of Daybreak or Cedar City. On second thought though, Taylorsville will also be serving West Valley City. I can't imagine them not planning for a larger structure.

I'm curious about the designs. There has been a definite move toward a more historic pattern recently with many of the Temples. It will be interesting to see if they follow something historically similar to Cedar City or more along the line of Bountiful or Payson.

I guess we have a partial answer on designs and perhaps size. They just released the renderings of Layton two hours ago, which will be a definite historic 19th Century vibe. Both Layton and Saratoga Springs will be approx. 87 thousand sq. ft.

https://www.deseret.com/2019/10/8/20...mple-rendering

Looks like Saratoga Springs will give a definite nod to Art Deco. I like them both. I could see Taylorsville being similar to either one.

https://kjzz.com/news/local/exterior...-by-lds-church

Last edited by delts145; Oct 13, 2019 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I've been looking at this development. I think it's great mixed-use density for the area, but I'm REALLY concerned about the plan to put a freeway exit on Main Street and I-80. There are already interchanges on 2100 South and State Street, and putting one on Main Street not only seems unnecessary, but feels antithetical to South Salt Lake's attempt to create a walkable downtown. Unfortunately this is Utah, and between our car-oriented mindset and UDOT's car first, second, and third mentality, I don't see a lot of opposition to this brewing. But I wish there would be and I want to be able to do something about it.
I believe the plan is to move the I-80 WB on-ramp from State Street to Main Street and to leave the rest of the interchange basically the way it is currently. I could be wrong on the details, but that's what I've heard. That being said, I totally agree with you on the potential negative impacts of this change. SLC is creating a bicycle corridor along Main Street and South Salt Lake had plans in place to continue that through the city by shrinking Main Street to one lane in each direction with parking and bike lanes. Now Main Street will have to remain a five lane road with a much heavier traffic load with bicycle infrastructure moving to West Temple. To your point, this is definitely not a helpful change for the walkable downtown SSL hopes to create.

It seems that relatively few people know about this change, it will be interesting to see what kind of push back UDOT receives as the project gets closer; I'm sure by then they'll claim it's too late to change course.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanFlaneur View Post
I believe the plan is to move the I-80 WB on-ramp from State Street to Main Street and to leave the rest of the interchange basically the way it is currently. I could be wrong on the details, but that's what I've heard. That being said, I totally agree with you on the potential negative impacts of this change. SLC is creating a bicycle corridor along Main Street and South Salt Lake had plans in place to continue that through the city by shrinking Main Street to one lane in each direction with parking and bike lanes. Now Main Street will have to remain a five lane road with a much heavier traffic load with bicycle infrastructure moving to West Temple. To your point, this is definitely not a helpful change for the walkable downtown SSL hopes to create.

It seems that relatively few people know about this change, it will be interesting to see what kind of push back UDOT receives as the project gets closer; I'm sure by then they'll claim it's too late to change course.
I agree this sounds like a bad solution. Main Street is not the place for a freeway interchange. I also agree that the State Street interchange needs some improvements, but moving two of the ramps is not the best way to do it. Perhaps a SPUI on State Street?

Do you know where I could find out more about this?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
I agree this sounds like a bad solution. Main Street is not the place for a freeway interchange. I also agree that the State Street interchange needs some improvements, but moving two of the ramps is not the best way to do it. Perhaps a SPUI on State Street?

Do you know where I could find out more about this?
You can view a .pdf of the environmental study here:
https://www.udot.utah.gov/projectpages/f?p=250:2010:::NO:2010_EPM_PROJ_XREF_NO,P2010_PROJECT_TYPE_IND_FLAG:5544,A

It shows all of the options that were considered, I believe that option 3N is what was selected:

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the link! That was an interesting read.
Honestly I don't think this 'solution' is going to fix anything. It doesn't really address any of the main issues with that intersection. It is interesting that the SPUI scored better in every category in 1 (including affected parcels) but they still chose to do their own thing.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 2:05 PM

Seattle developers completing 19-acre townhome development in South Salt Lake, about to go big in the Granary District.

Luke Garrott Reports. Complete Article and Additional Photos @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/sea...ig-in-granary/

Salt Lake City is becoming a destination for out-of-town developers who pride themselves on quality design and the re-purposing of historic buildings.

Lake Union Partners, a 10-year old, mid-size development firm from Seattle, is not alone in seeing potential in the Salt Lake area – and is constructing both residential and commercial product in notable ways.

INDUSTRY SLC, from Denver, also is investing in the Granary District in an unprecedented scale with adaptive reuse of some of the area’s stock of warehouses and manufacturing sites.

At 2852 S. West Temple, Lake Union’s Hawthorne townhome project is helping transform South Salt Lake from an industrial appendage of Salt Lake City into a housing destination.

Lake Union Partners will also start rehabilitation and reuse on five existing buildings in the Granary District, starting in January 2020.

Hawthorne's entrance at 2852 S. West Temple, South Salt Lake. Photo by Luke Garrott.

Hawthorne is a gated community. Designed with an internal north-south, east-west grid, it has three access points to the public right-of-way, all on West Temple. Its design concept for
buildings might best be described as Scandinavian Modern. Clean lines, touches of wood, pitched roofs, large windows, and ample shared space distinguish the project.Photo By Luke Garrott

The Clubhouse at Hawthorne. Photo by Luke Garrott.

Granary District blowing up

Lake Union is hesitant to reveal at this point its specific interests in the Granary District. Yet it tells Building Salt Lake that five buildings will be developed,
some in partnership with the EVO ski and snowboard company out of Seattle, as an outdoor recreation campus.

Building Salt Lake will continue its updates of Granary District developments as facts become available.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 6, 2021 at 1:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 11:26 AM

Gateway To Holladay: New Zone To Create A Sense Of ‘Arrival’

Zac Sonntag - The Holladay Journal -
https://www.holladayjournal.com/2019...se-of-arrival-

Holladay City held an open house in November to solicit public feedback on the newly created Holladay Crossroads zone (HCR), one of the city’s most economically vital locations on its southern boundary.

The zone is oriented around the junction where Van Winkle Expressway, Highland Drive and Vine Street intersect, and is considered a “primary gateway and critical transportation node” for Holladay, according to a land use and transportation study completed by city consultants.

Cars wait for traffic light at the center of the new Holladay Crossroads zone. (Zak Sonntag/City Journals)

The specially designed HCR zone comes on the heels of the city’s Holladay Crossroads Small Area Master Plan (SAMP), written to enhance and “contribute to the ‘gateway’ functions of the area,” and “provide an opportunity for increased human interaction and protect and increase the economic vitality of the city.”

The new zoning standards do not impose restrictions on existing businesses and property owners, but will require new developments to abide by certain design and utility standards that promote “aesthetically attractive” and “easily accessible” mixed-use structures, which may produce outcomes “similar to the Holladay Village Zone but unique to the Holladay Crossroads area.”

“The city wants the area to have a feeling of ‘arrival.’ We’d like it to be similar to the Holladay Village with smart design and accessible areas that create a sense of ambiance, because that adds a lot of value to communities,” said Paul Allred, community development director.

No projects have been slated as of now, but early considerations include a triple turning lane from Highland Drive on the Van Winkle Expressway, walking paths and bike lanes, and a potential roundabout, which could help mitigate congestion at a heavily trafficked throughway.

Significant priority has been placed on the zone’s architectural aesthetics and function. No massive monolithic facades. No bright neon-painted exteriors. And all mechanical equipment, like elevators, must be screened to dampen the sound so it does not create a “nuisance for the occupants of any abutting residence,” according to the plan.

Instead, the plan envisions stonework plazas, water fountains, arcades and trellises. Any interested re-developers must incorporate at least three preapproved design styles, which may include door treatments and window embellishments, decorative paving, unique grillwork and enhanced landscaping.

The plan hopes these standards will “complement the pedestrian activities” “and promote walkability.”

While residents applauded the zone’s focus on walkability and aesthetics, some expressed concern that denser development might impact their quality of life.

“There’s already so much traffic on 6200 South that it’s hard to turn out of my subdivision,” said Katie Godfrey, who lives in the Quail Hollow subdivision along the new zone. Godfrey also bemoaned the idea that new apartments may only be required to provide 1.5 parking spaces for each two-bedroom unit. “That’s ridiculous — if you have two bedrooms and two people then you need two spaces. What are they going do then? They’ll park on the street in the neighborhoods and people that want to visit will have to walk forever to get there,” Godfrey said.

Allred was quick to rebut Godfrey, saying, “The types of apartments [allowed in the HCR zone] will have a lot of single people, and trends show that many people are living without cars. They use public transportation and they walk and bike.” Allred also pointed out that parking lots pose certain quality-of-life problems of their own. “Additional parking spots add a lot of extra expense for both businesses and residents. And they add a lot of heat — the more parking spaces you have the more you have to run the air conditioning.”

Some residents questioned the burden new residential units might place on schools. “What will they do with all the new kids coming into the schools? They’re going to fill the classrooms and overwhelm teachers,” said Bonnie Felts, who lives just outside the new district.

Again, Allred had an answer, citing studies that indicate the majority of apartment dwellers do not have school-age children, bringing their household size significantly below the current 2.72 Holladay household average. “The studies show that by the time they have school-age children, they’re moving out of apartments. So the impact on schools in the area will be negligible.”

Tom Lloyd, a developer who lives in Holladay, questioned the need altogether. “I don’t see what the hurry is. You’ve already got retail, grocery, a gym. It’s not like it’s wide open space. Unless you were going to do something with significant density increases it wouldn’t be worth it.”

For Angela Brandon, whose property abuts the zone, the biggest concern was privacy. “If they put up one of these complexes, the only thing that separates them from me will be a chain-link fence.”

The maximum height allowed in the zone is 65 feet. However, buildings within 200 feet of abutting residential boundaries are restricted to 32 feet. Still, Brandon worries. “Form a higher vantage I’m nervous whoever’s there will be able to look right into my yard and see me. I don’t want to have to worry about people watching me.”

The city is encouraging residents to submit their comments on the area.

“We want to hear those concerns. Please, submit your opinions in writing so we can have them be part of our records and use them to help create better options that people are comfortable with. We want to hear from everyone,” Allred said.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 11:33 PM

Holladay, NIMBY central.

Seriously though, who actually thinks that new apartments are going to bring in huge families that will "flood" local schools? Talk about being out of touch with any sort of reality.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Holladay, NIMBY central.

Seriously though, who actually thinks that new apartments are going to bring in huge families that will "flood" local schools? Talk about being out of touch with any sort of reality.
As a teacher and former quasi-administrator in Granite District (which is where this development is), the local schools could really use some flooding. If enrollment doesn't tick up, some of those schools are going to be closing in the next five years. Which those same NIMBYites will lose their shit over.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:22 PM

Looks like one of the properties mentioned above was the right one for the new Taylorsville Temple. I imagine it will be tight fitting this on 7.5 acres so I am guessing there will be some sort of underground parking?

Quote:
The Taylorsville Utah Temple will be constructed on a 7.5-acre site at 2603 West 4700 South. Plans call for a three-story temple of approximately 70,000 square feet, with a center spire. An existing meetinghouse on that site will be removed and will not be replaced.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...sY58v-Vxzj-blY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West