HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:43 PM
Burming Hammer

"replacement" better mean downtown... not on the same site!

hell, send us over the georgia dome lol.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
"replacement" better mean downtown... not on the same site!

hell, send us over the georgia dome lol.
I second that!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
I second that!!!!!!
In an article titled "Birmingham Mayor William Bell 'looks inward' and outward in state of city address" in the Birmingham Business Journal, the article read like the Mayor was talking more about remodeling Legion Field than replacing it somewhere else. He stated that he had been talking to U.A.B., ESPN and some Banks about doing something about Legion Field. Hoping I was seeing that wrong but that is not very encouraging. I guess we will have to wait 3 to 6 months to see what he was talking about.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:28 PM
The Salty Ham

Im good either way. Spend 100 mill and make Legion Field first class or build at least a 75k cap stadium downtown with room to expand.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 3:07 AM
Burming Hammer

i think legion field's current location will continue to be its downfall, regardless of how much money is pumped into it. it's literally in the middle of a neighborhood! completely isolated from much else in the way of entertainment, dining, shopping, etc.

spend the money and put a new facility downtown.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 9:38 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 1:05 AM

Absolutely love this building. I read in the Birmingham News a few years back when this couple first announced this project that this building was design originally to be 10 stories.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 8:37 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Im good either way. Spend 100 mill and make Legion Field first class or build at least a 75k cap stadium downtown with room to expand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i think legion field's current location will continue to be its downfall, regardless of how much money is pumped into it. it's literally in the middle of a neighborhood! completely isolated from much else in the way of entertainment, dining, shopping, etc.

spend the money and put a new facility downtown.
I honestly think that a "Soldier Field-ing" of Legion Field is the best, and most economical, solution to Birmingham's stadium issue. I respect UAB's desire for an on campus stadium but the city needs a single, world-class, facility. Neither the city, nor UAB, can construct a great facility without the help of the other; it's just a question of if the two want to come together to massively overhaul Legion Field or construct a single multi-purpose facility. At this point it's either one or the other, there's no reason to introduce redundancy.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 6:38 PM
The Salty Ham

I agree with that however Im not convinced UAB should even be playing football. They need something akin to a high school football stadium on the southside so the 10k fans they draw dont look swallowed up by a big stadium.

Birmingham has to do things for Birmingham first and that means a big nice domed facility for the bowl game and the classic and conventions and something more extravagent down the line or a big nice outdoor field next to a new BJCC then so be it. UAB should be welcome to play there if they want butnot determine its size or scope. Samford and Birmingham Southern have their own fields and I dont consider them redundant.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 6:44 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
I agree with that however Im not convinced UAB should even be playing football. They need something akin to a high school football stadium on the southside so the 10k fans they draw dont look swallowed up by a big stadium.

Birmingham has to do things for Birmingham first and that means a big nice domed facility for the bowl game and the classic and conventions and something more extravagent down the line or a big nice outdoor field next to a new BJCC then so be it. UAB should be welcome to play there if they want butnot determine its size or scope. Samford and Birmingham Southern have their own fields and I dont consider them redundant.
Are football facilities still used for concerts? I think that would be the most immediate pay off as Birmingham does attract many artists already (with fans who don't want to trek out to Atlanta). Having a large venue that they can earn a profit at would attract many more performances to the city.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 8:14 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:

Those facilities aren't considered redundant because they're much smaller than the stadium UAB hopes to eventually build. To me, it just seems ridiculous to potentially have 2 30,000+ facilities within 2 miles of each other unless they both have a consistent tenant and at this point only the on-campus facility would have such a tenant.

There's also the issue that both of the facilities would likely be built in Downtown/Southside. With two 30,000+ facilities, you're looking at a loss of about 8 total blocks. That's 8 fewer blocks that could be redeveloped and contribute tax dollars to the city, county, and state. If you have a single facility, only about 4 blocks would be lost.

I agree with you in that UAB should be allowed to determine the size and scope. My thinking is that if UAB could somehow contribute to the development of this project in some way (and therefore benefit in some way from their participation) the facility could be even better than if the city went in by itself.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 8:56 PM
The Salty Ham

No im saying uAB should NOT have a say in the size and scope. I did not think they would be building a 30k seat facility. But even so I think Birmingham needs at least 75k and that it has to be within walking distance of Uptown. Unless you are saying they do a football only venue in midtown/parkside and then do a convention center at BJCC.

I think they'll only do one multi purpose facility and that it will be uptown. Like a dome that seats 60k plus.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 9:36 PM
Future God

Wow, that Florentine Building is a stunner!!!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 11:13 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
No im saying uAB should NOT have a say in the size and scope. I did not think they would be building a 30k seat facility. But even so I think Birmingham needs at least 75k and that it has to be within walking distance of Uptown. Unless you are saying they do a football only venue in midtown/parkside and then do a convention center at BJCC.

I think they'll only do one multi purpose facility and that it will be uptown. Like a dome that seats 60k plus.
To clarify, what I mean to say is that there should either be an overhaul of Legion Field, or a single facility (multipurpose, 60K+) built. The location of that single facility is a discussion to have later, and I do agree it will probably wind up where the BJCC had always intended to build one. If UAB wants to have some semblance of a quality home field, then they should work with the city. Like I said, I don't think it makes sense to have two reasonably sized venues in such close proximity to each other, especially if they'll have sizable footprints in downtown.

In the end, in my mind, the only two options that make any sense or (as I said) overhaul Legion Field, or build the multiuse facility at Uptown (as you have mentioned).

BTW, never meant to sound combative. Sometimes when I try and clarify previous comments I wind up being confusing.... weee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Wow, that Florentine Building is a stunner!!!
The plans do look pretty nice for it! Just drive by it, it looks depressing at the moment, haha.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 5:27 PM
The Salty Ham

No I dont think you were being combative at all. Sorry if I came off that way. But I guess my perception of UAB football is off. Do you think they are planning or need a stadium that large? As in 30k people? I was thinking that if they are complaining that travelling to LF that even going across town to uptown would not give them that at home feeling a stadium on campus and in southside would. However a nice new facility in uptown might make them get over that.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
No I dont think you were being combative at all. Sorry if I came off that way. But I guess my perception of UAB football is off. Do you think they are planning or need a stadium that large? As in 30k people? I was thinking that if they are complaining that travelling to LF that even going across town to uptown would not give them that at home feeling a stadium on campus and in southside would. However a nice new facility in uptown might make them get over that.
I believe it is a NCAA rule for being a FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision, former Division 1-A) level school that the minimum size of the stadium is 20K or 30K. U.A.B. wants all of the revenue generated by that stadium as opposed to sharing it with the City of Birmingham.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 9:44 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I think if the stadium were adjacent to campus or on campus, it wouldn't be all that difficult to fill most of a 30K seat stadium. I think the main reason UAB doesn't have bigger crowds at Legion Field is because 1) the perception of its surrounding neighborhood, 2) its distance from campus, and 3) the quality of the facility.

IMO, a stadium in uptown would be close enough and nice enough to attract larger crowds. As for if it would give them a genuine home-field feel, I doubt the facility would achieve that unless maybe there could be a seating configuration that made the stadium feel less cavernous and brought seating down to around 40K.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 12:50 AM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I think if the stadium were adjacent to campus or on campus, it wouldn't be all that difficult to fill most of a 30K seat stadium. I think the main reason UAB doesn't have bigger crowds at Legion Field is because 1) the perception of its surrounding neighborhood, 2) its distance from campus, and 3) the quality of the facility.

IMO, a stadium in uptown would be close enough and nice enough to attract larger crowds. As for if it would give them a genuine home-field feel, I doubt the facility would achieve that unless maybe there could be a seating configuration that made the stadium feel less cavernous and brought seating down to around 40K.
I hope 1 and 3 aren't major reasons keeping them from being able to draw but ~10k fans most games or else they just need to suck it up. LF isnt that bad. The Compass Bowl and the Classic draw way more people despite its shortcomings.

With that said. I do think a better stadium on campus would boost attendance but not drastically. A better product is what they really need.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 1:46 AM

Quote:
I hope 1 and 3 aren't major reasons keeping them from being able to draw but ~10k fans most games or else they just need to suck it up. LF isnt that bad. The Compass Bowl and the Classic draw way more people despite its shortcomings.

With that said. I do think a better stadium on campus would boost attendance but not drastically. A better product is what they really need.
I agree totally with your last sentence!!!!! Bottom line: YOU MUST WIN GAMES, no matter what shape or location the stadium is in.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 2:22 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
I agree totally with your last sentence!!!!! Bottom line: YOU MUST WIN GAMES, no matter what shape or location the stadium is in.
Well, sadly, the same thing keeping them from being successful on the field is keeping them from building the on campus stadium. The Board of Trustees refuses to allow them to spend the money necessary to be successful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations