HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Chicago View Post
I never liked the original Waterview design, so this is a bit of a relief for me. But I know that many of you are disappointed not to get a supertall here... so in consolation let me point out one little-realized but very big disadvantage of a very tall building on this site:

111 West Wacker happens to be directly in line between the Sears Tower and the John Hancock Center. If it were over 1000 feet, it would largely obscure the view of each from the other, from the observation decks. Granted this only considers 2 viewpoints, but these are two of the most popular places to view the city. When I first went up the JHC it took my breath away to see the Sears Tower looking across downtown like that. Don't know if anybody else cares, but at least now we won't lose these sightlines.
Wow, never realized that, I can't imagine seeing the Incredible Sears Tower being obscured like that. There is nothing like seeing the shiny black facade and its bright shining spires at night.

just look at this pic, and you can see how much it would have obscured the view of the Sears

[MODERATOR EDIT = IMAGE REMOVED]

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jun 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM. Reason: No image credit

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive