HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 4:27 AM

I think the plan is for phase I to rise on the acreage. Once the office tower is up and running, then I think the plan is to clear the site of the old garage and office building and build the hotel/condo portion as phase II.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
I think the plan is for phase I to rise on the acreage. Once the office tower is up and running, then I think the plan is to clear the site of the old garage and office building and build the hotel/condo portion as phase II.
This.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:46 AM

The Vue on MacGregor

2929 Weslayan, by fastesdisatr

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 3:11 AM
Ex Houstonian

Wow that ones rising fast.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:21 AM

The Vue on MacGregor is such a HUGE project for several reasons. First, it's the first privately funded dorm to be built around U of H. This shows how much the school has changed over the last decade. More than 8,000 kids live on campus now and now a private company is showing faith that UofH will become even more of a "residential" college. Secondly, this is the first major project in and around UofH on the South side of Braes Bayou. Thirdly, this will be built right near a rail stop meaning more potential riders. This will essentially become the 4th UH stop if I remember correctly. UofH should work with METRO and give kids on campus transit cards are build them in as a part of their fees. Imagine, if you lived at the Vue, you could wake up, grab a train, and ride to class, a football game, or to downtown to bar hop. NICE.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:10 PM

Is it considered to be a campus residence or will it be offered to non-students?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:30 PM

What will they do with Houston's cistern?

Saw this today on the news and thought it was a cool story to share

Doug Miller / KHOU 11 News
July 15, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
"It was a secret," said Guy Hagstette, a consultant for the Buffalo Bayou Partnership, who tells a fascinating story about the buried treasure that was Houston's first city reservoir.
http://www.khou.com/news/local/What-...ref_map=%5B%5D

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 10:34 PM

The Vue will be a privately owned student- centered project. I'd imagine anyone could live there, but it will be marketed to students and I imagine wouldn't be too attractive for non-students.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 12:07 AM

The NIMBY movement hits other neighborhoods and other high-rises.

Residents fight high-rise developments in affluent neighborhoods

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 12:13 AM
Borneo Expat

Wow, the Vue looks nice. U of H has really changed in the last 30+ years since I went there.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von View Post
Saw this today on the news and thought it was a cool story to share

Doug Miller / KHOU 11 News
July 15, 2013 at 10:40 PM

http://www.khou.com/news/local/What-...ref_map=%5B%5D
I saw that and thought it must be a slow day for news. This is nothing new.

http://www.chron.com/life/gray/artic...et-2736594.php

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkaidAlum
Not sure if you call it a highrise, but Emporis would... the 12 story Hanover Tower in Rice Village is moving forward. The garden store and small apartment building are now vacant and fenced off. Demolition should start very soon.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
The NIMBY movement hits other neighborhoods and other high-rises.

Residents fight high-rise developments in affluent neighborhoods
When will these people understand that we do NOT have zoning and that every zoning, or city plan, has been voted down by the residents of Houston?

I understand not wanting such a scale in their neighborhood but they have nothing legal to stand on.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
When will these people understand that we do NOT have zoning and that every zoning, or city plan, has been voted down by the residents of Houston?
I would imagine a majority of them even voted against zoning a few times.

Having nothing else, I'm sure they must be looking to prior covenants and deed restrictions to aid them in their fight. But Hines is a big developer and probably can't be intimidated so easily.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 1:49 AM

Skyhouse, taken earlier today from ze webcam:

And a little bit more on 1500 Post Oak, the tower that will be built for BHP Billiton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickard Chilton
Complementing and completing the adjacent Four Oaks Place, owned by TIAA-CREF and designed by Cesar Pelli & Associates, 1500 Post Oak Boulevard creates a new focal point for the development and defines a fresh southern edge along the complex's central garden. The office tower also serves as the main entry for the development and welcomes visitors with a spacious, naturally lit lobby. At night, the prismatic crown atop the building reveals the building's presence in the Houston Skyline.

Seven levels of parking serve the building's Class-A office space. The efficient floor plates conserve resources and lend themselves to convenient planning and office space management by tenants. The tower design includes numerous sustainable features, and is expected to achieve LEED-CS Gold certification. For example, a glass curtain wall clads the tower, articulated by a delicate screen of sunshades that reduce heat gain from the Texas sun, while bringing a more intimate scale to the building.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 9:23 PM

Several reliable sources on HAIF say a 102-Story tower may be planned for downtown near Minute Maid Park.

It was first mentioned a few days after the Chevron tower was announced.

Post by jimenez:
Quote:
Don’t worry my friend. I have reliable sources that tell me a 100+ story tower is coming to DTHouston very soon.
Post by Nativehoustonian:
Quote:
It is s only a rendering. Once completed I believe it will appear very sleek. It seems it may be almost 800 feet high. It is also bringing more jobs to Houston. I think Hines is next at 609 Main St. I have heard that a very tall skyscraper will go up by Minute Maid Park because it is out of HOU airport flight pattern. With the tax abatements a lot of buildings have already been announced. I believe a little boom is coming for downtown. I wonder what Trump is up to?
and new info today, by lockmat:

Quote:
Urby, I talked to my elevator man and he said a developer tried to build a 102-story building in Dallas but the airport shot it down an now he is planning it for Houston.
If all of this is indeed true, and goes through as planned, this tower may be well over 1,000ft and the tallest building west of the Mississippi by height and floor count.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jul 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Good news, several reliable sources on HAIF say a 102-Story tower may be planned for downtown near Minute Maid Park.

It was first mentioned a few days after the Chevron tower was announced.
And who would be the developer of this mythical tower? IF (big IF) it was to happen I'm guess it would be a foreign investor, one who likes to build ego towers a la Dubai.

I don't think any of the established developers already in Houston would dare to seriously consider a project like this.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
And who would be the developer of this mythical tower? IF (big IF) it was to happen I'm guess it would be a foreign investor, one who likes to build ego towers a la Dubai.

I don't think any of the established developers already in Houston would dare to seriously consider a project like this.
A 70-story supertall is a real possibility if this current boom in Houston continues, but a 100-story building? Haha, yeah... I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 4:30 PM

100+ stories for Houston, yikes! Then again Houston's had the #1 economy in the nation for like years now.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:40 PM
Resident Moron

So we are supposed to believe someone was going to build the tallest building outside of Chicago and New York in Dallas.. it never made it to the Dallas zoning board but they were somehow told no because of flight paths (what?).

So now they are moving it to Houston as though building a massive speculative office tower is something done on a whim and it doesn't really matter what city you do it in.

I mean, you are likely talking about a building in the 1200-1500 foot range at that point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations