HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 9:12 PM

CTV London News Anchor Dan MacLellan Arrested

Seemed like such a happy, pleasant, nice guy - I know people who have met him and have said he's much like the same person off-the-air as on.

Interesting story.

http://www.am980.ca/channels/news/lo...spx?ID=1631955

Quote:
Police have charged CTV London's main 6 p.m. news anchor with multiple counts of assault in connection with an alleged incident on Christmas Eve.

Dan MacLellan was arrested on December 24th at an address in London by Police investigating a complaint made by an "adult female." MacLellan remained in custody at the Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre, including Christmas Day, until a court appearance on Wednesday afternoon where he was granted bail.
As well...

Quote:
Representatives with CTV London issued the following statement Wednesday afternoon:

“CTV News Senior Anchor, Dan MacLellan, appeared in court this afternoon on charges of assault stemming from an alleged incident on December 24th. As a result and in accordance with company policy, Dan will take leave of absence from his duties at CTV London until further notice.”

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 9:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

career-ending move

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
career-ending move
Perhaps - I guess we'll see what happens if what was reported by the female was true or not. If it's a smear job by her, I really hope he's back - if what we're hearing is 100% true - he won't be back on air, here or anywhere ever again.

His Twitter page is gone now too....

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Perhaps - I guess we'll see what happens if what was reported by the female was true or not. If it's a smear job by her, I really hope he's back - if what we're hearing is 100% true - he won't be back on air, here or anywhere ever again.

His Twitter page is gone now too....
This isn't the first time an evening news anchor has disappeared from CFPL under unusual circumstances. They had an anchor in the 80s who died in a car crash.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:15 AM

What's going on here? 2181 views in this thread, and apparently 650 people viewing the London SSP general discussion forum right now....

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:41 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
What's going on here? 2181 views in this thread, and apparently 650 people viewing the London SSP general discussion forum right now....
Yeah, this is really pumping up the London section! Maybe Mitsumi Takahashi on CTV Montreal could rob a bank, or OD, or something...

Quote:
The only problem I have with this is the fact that Dan MacLellan's name has gotten out before he's had a chance to defend himself pubically
Defend himself pubically, priceless stuff.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
This isn't the first time an evening news anchor has disappeared from CFPL under unusual circumstances. They had an anchor in the 80s who died in a car crash.
I remember that day. Neil Stevens was well liked. I remember his co-anchor Kate Young giving out the story on the six o'clock news. I guess that she thought that she could do it and hold it together on-air. She didn't and broke down live. It was all just really really sad.

It was a simpler time. Local newscasters were well known people who became part of the community identity. In those days most people watched the local 6 o'clock news because (1) it was one of the best Canadian TV news broadcasts and, (2) it was the best source for current events. There was no CNN, no live satellite links to the other side of the world. The local reporting was very good. Bill Brady, Jack Burghardt, Jay Campbell, Hugh Bremner, Tom Byrd (don't forget to feed the birds), Pete James, and many more were local household names.

When one of this group was tragically killed, it was a big deal.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 6:39 PM
Sanity merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
I remember that day. Neil Stevens was well liked. I remember his co-anchor Kate Young giving out the story on the six o'clock news. I guess that she thought that she could do it and hold it together on-air. She didn't and broke down live. It was all just really really sad.
What happened?? She lost her marbles live??

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 9:40 PM

Not often the person reporting the news IS the news.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:45 AM

Exclamation CTV London New Anchor Dan MacLellan Arrested

I don't know what happened in this situation, but... do you know that the police in this city don't have any discretion when a woman alleges a man has assaulted her. Sadly a woman had to die before the police would take this type of situation seriously, but now, of course, we must go to the opposite ridiculous extreme and ruin a mans life whether or not there is evidence to support an allegation. The police are afraid to take a stand, the crowns are afraid to take a stand, they want to leave it up to the judges. I hear from lawyers in this city that we have a number of judges that will hear this type of case and find the man guilty and a couple of judges that will dismiss the case if it is one persons word against another. Sounds like a crap shoot. "So much for justice." I hope Dan MacLellan you have a really good lawyer and the right judge.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askingquestions View Post
I don't know what happened in this situation, but... do you know that the police in this city don't have any discretion when a woman alleges a man has assaulted her. Sadly a woman had to die before the police would take this type of situation seriously, but now, of course, we must go to the opposite ridiculous extreme and ruin a mans life whether or not there is evidence to support an allegation. The police are afraid to take a stand, the crowns are afraid to take a stand, they want to leave it up to the judges. I hear from lawyers in this city that we have a number of judges that will hear this type of case and find the man guilty and a couple of judges that will dismiss the case if it is one persons word against another. Sounds like a crap shoot. "So much for justice." I hope Dan MacLellan you have a really good lawyer and the right judge.
The only problem I have with this is the fact that Dan MacLellan's name has gotten out before he's had a chance to defend himself publically, while whoever the woman involved has had her name kept confidential. In this case, either both names be put out, or both names be kept hidden until a ruling has been completed.

Dan MacLellan has from what I've seen a very positive and likeable personality from the basic Londoner. The total shock and surprise to this is definitely worthy, and if these allegations prove false - Londoners will be quick to forgive and forget and move on. I do hope this is the case, but we will see.

CTV News tonight did make a very brief comment regarding his leave of absense - saying it was company policy. We'll see, but there definitely a chance you'll never see him on a newscast again.

Last edited by go_leafs_go02; Dec 29, 2011 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 1:35 AM

Quote:
The only problem I have with this is the fact that Dan MacLellan's name has gotten out before he's had a chance to defend himself pubically, while whoever the woman involved has had her name kept confidential. In this case, either both names be put out, or both names be kept hidden until a ruling has been completed.

Dan MacLellan has from what I've seen a very positive and likeable personality from the basic Londoner. The total shock and surprise to this is definitely worthy, and if these allegations prove false - Londoners will be quick to forgive and forget and move on. I do hope this is the case, but we will see.

CTV News tonight did make a very brief comment regarding his leave of absense - saying it was company policy. We'll see, but there definitely a chance you'll never see him on a newscast again.
Word got out because AM980 and 98.1 Free FM both reported on the story this afternoon (notice the Free Press has not reported on this at all), before CTV London even was able to prepare a statement. Most likely one of them had a reporter assigned to the courthouse and the familiar name popped up in today's proceedings.

Ideally, it would have been kept quiet and CTV could have stated that Dan was taking some personal leave, but because there was no publication ban on the suspect and the courts are open to the public, it could not have been kept private forever.

The other thing I noticed is that there is a publication ban on the alleged victim's name. I have to wonder if she is a CTV London employee. If so, and he's guilty, he won't be working for CTV anywhere again.

I wonder if he'd ever turn up again at Global Maritimes, where he worked early in his career.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 2:42 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by askingquestions View Post
Sounds like you have no idea how the Criminal Code or the justice system works in this country.

Flickr®

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 2:51 PM

Quote:
go leafs go02/ The only problem I have with this is the fact that Dan MacLellan's name has gotten out before he's had a chance to defend himself pubically.
Be careful what you wish for...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Be careful what you wish for...
I couldn't even have imagined that wonderful freudian slip I did yesterday. Good catch

No more details so far today - He is scheduled to appear in court on January 18th. Doubt we'll see him or hear much until then...we'll see though.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Sounds like you have no idea how the Criminal Code or the justice system works in this country.
So, tell us how the system works. askingquestions has legal contacts so he obviously knows something, these legal contacts are evidence for his argument.

Although I have never dealt with the legal system personally, I know a law student at Western and he has said pretty much the same thing about the system's slant in favour of women in these cases. It seems to be a fairly well-known issue in the legal community, at least in London.

I'd like to see statistics.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Actually I have worked in the justice system and I do have a lot of first hand experience with how the system works, specifically with young offenders and family court. Judges base decisions on personal beliefs, which may or may not be a good thing, lawyers are afraid to rock the boat and there is no such thing as innocent until found guilty, especially if the case gets into the news.
I did like the comment about the name of the accused appearing in the news but not the alleged victim. If he is innocent until found guilty why should he have to suffer public scrutiny but his accuser gets to hide. Put forth her name and let the public decide if she is credible.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 7:48 PM

Wait for his day in court

I find it odd that there is little mention of this story. On the other hand I have seen a number of posts out there from various people that seem to pass a guilty verdict on this man already. Let’s remember that very little is known about the alleged incident right now. To my understanding when it comes to domestic assaults, the London Police simply lay a charge and let the courts decide.
When Mr. MacLellan has his day in court, the facts will be available to us all. If MacLellan unlawfully assaulted a woman or anyone else, then shame on you Dan; you deserve our disapproval and the penalty you have coming to. If you’re innocent, then shame on those who contemned you early.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2008 View Post
I find it odd that there is little mention of this story. On the other hand I have seen a number of posts out there from various people that seem to pass a guilty verdict on this man already. Let’s remember that very little is known about the alleged incident right now. To my understanding when it comes to domestic assaults, the London Police simply lay a charge and let the courts decide.
When Mr. MacLellan has his day in court, the facts will be available to us all. If MacLellan unlawfully assaulted a woman or anyone else, then shame on you Dan; you deserve our disapproval and the penalty you have coming to. If you’re innocent, then shame on those who contemned you early.
Fully agree with you on that. It was Christmas Eve where this happened (Saturday night) - who knows how many parties across London got somewhat out of hand, and had the police need to respond. Like you said, they had to lay a charge and then arrest him because that's their process. We'll know more January 18th - his day in court. It's an interesting story, but there's not that much info available.

I do wish him the best, because I have a hard time seeing his news personality be someone who would have 4 charges of assault placed on him, but if his charges are fully true - then I hope we'll never see him back on local airwaves, even though the majority of all other news reporters would be a crappy replacement.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 1:24 AM

Quote:
I do wish him the best, because I have a hard time seeing his news personality be someone who would have 4 charges of assault placed on him, but if his charges are fully true - then I hope we'll never see him back on local airwaves, even though the majority of all other news reporters would be a crappy replacement.
My hope would be that they recruit someone from another station. I would bet there's good talent at other TV stations that might be interested in the London market. If there's anyone in London that I think would be a good fit it would be Bob Smith, who I feel is wasting his talents at Cable 13. Trouble is, he may not want anything to do with CTV after he was let go after almost 30 years at CFPL.

Might be a good opportunity for a Fanshawe broadcasting grad who's working elsewhere to come back to London. There's no shortage of them across the country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation