HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I am not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but DND is accepting bids on a 10-storey building to go where the fleet club currently is.
Where did you see that Kph06

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Where did you see that Kph06
A former classmate told me about it, sounds like the tender call must be recent, I tried looking on the DND website for details, but finding anything specific there is difficult. If it does turn out to be 10 floors it will be roughly the height of the bridge deck, if not higher as it is on a hill.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
A former classmate told me about it, sounds like the tender call must be recent, I tried looking on the DND website for details, but finding anything specific there is difficult. If it does turn out to be 10 floors it will be roughly the height of the bridge deck, if not higher as it is on a hill.
I found this on Merx. $63.5 mil seems like something to get excited about!

http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER...f5ua1beQ%3d%3d

(Edit)
More info... if you click here, the RFP documents are there..click through the "Folders" for specs, etc. It looks like 12 stories next to the Fleet Club.

https://secure.smartbidnet.com/Exter...x?Id=38116&e=1

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
I found this on Merx. $63.5 mil seems like something to get excited about!

http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER...f5ua1beQ%3d%3d

(Edit)
More info... if you click here, the RFP documents are there..click through the "Folders" for specs, etc. It looks like 12 stories next to the Fleet Club.

https://secure.smartbidnet.com/Exter...x?Id=38116&e=1
That would be it, he said it would be about a 60 million design/build job. He thought it would be a year of design before construction.

Last edited by kph06; Dec 20, 2011 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 10:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I found this rendering of a residential for Harbour Isle. The website states that construction should begin in the spring of 2012. Not sure if that's current or not.

from embrooke.ca

They also have the rendering up for the apartment building planned for Coburg Road. I've posted this before. Quite a nice design:

I'd love if they built that and then somebody demolished the hideous red brick apartments and brown house across the street.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 11:46 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I found this rendering of a residential for Harbour Isle. The website states that construction should begin in the spring of 2012. Not sure if that's current or not.

from embrooke.ca
I think this is current and was approved in May 2011 - http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/...arbourIsle.pdf. Here is the thread for it - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=153449&page=8 .

The rendering looks ok. However, I am not sure why anyone would select a grey shade of precast panels.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 12:22 AM

There's been an excavator on site for a while now... Kinda odd.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 5:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

According to ANS, a 10-storey, $63.5 million dollar mess hall building is going to be built at Stadacona in a couple years. SNC Lavalin was just awarded the design contract.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:04 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
According to ANS, a 10-storey, $63.5 million dollar mess hall building is going to be built at Stadacona in a couple years. SNC Lavalin was just awarded the design contract.
Just to pinpoint the location of this, it will be replacing the fleet club (jr ranks mess) along Barrington st. I'm almost positive the current one is being torn down and this built on the same spot.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:41 PM

I've been hearing thru the grapevine that Dexel Developments is expanding their offices & planning to increase their production. Could see multiple projects going simultaneously from them. I also heard that they are working on the design for the Spring Garden Road/Robie (general area) lots they have. They appear to be trying for ~30 floors.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
They appear to be trying for ~30 floors.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 5:24 PM

Wow, another 30 floor tower?! What an awesome time it is to be on Halifax SSP local!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 7:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting news. They might run into problems because of Carlton Street, but in principle that's a good spot for some new development. As Halifax grows and development pressure increases 30 storey residential buildings might become more routine. I'd like to see something like a 40 storey building around Young Street. Building up in areas like that is a good way to support more density on the Peninsula while leaving heritage buildings and residential areas relatively undisturbed.

I just hope this SGR/Robie building doesn't become another 5-10 year battle.

By the way, there's another small project for that area that may or may not start soon -- an addition to the 1950's/60's era apartment building at Spring Garden and Carlton (north side). The addition would go on the parking lot at the rear of the site next to Camp Hill. It won't be a hugely noticeable addition to the area but will increase density.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 7:42 PM

What's going on at Agricola and West?

The ground floor of the fairly new tilt-up commercial building at Agricola and West looked like there was some renovation activity starting up inside.

When I walked by this morning, there was plastic over the windows and sheets of gypsum board and other construction materials inside. It's been sitting vacant for a while: anyone know what's going on here?

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 7:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Hmm.. which building are you talking about?

This one?

http://consultpinto.com/projects/det...ing-halifax-ns

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:21 PM

I'm starting a rumour, based on nothing but hope. The squalid buildings on the lowest part of Victoria Rd in Dartmouth will be shut down for 3 months after 700 complaints were made. My hope is that the owner will see the benefit in selling off the properties and someone putting something nice there.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I'm starting a rumour, based on nothing but hope. The squalid buildings on the lowest part of Victoria Rd in Dartmouth will be shut down for 3 months after 700 complaints were made. My hope is that the owner will see the benefit in selling off the properties and someone putting something nice there.
My issue is 700 complaints!!!

Why dont we get some teeth in the Tenancy act to allow landlords to evict trouble tenants without a long drawn out process of having to jump through hoops.

Conversely,. why dont we hold landlords responsible and force them to address the issues well before 700 complaints are made.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
My issue is 700 complaints!!!

Why dont we get some teeth in the Tenancy act to allow landlords to evict trouble tenants without a long drawn out process of having to jump through hoops.

Conversely,. why dont we hold landlords responsible and force them to address the issues well before 700 complaints are made.
With this set of properties it's definitely the later. The properties are all in a terrible state of repair. Calling it minimal maintenance would be generous! This corner is notorious and has been like this not just for years, but for decades. A family friend use to own one of the nice old wooden homes across the street 2 decades ago and it was a problem then. Part of the property that fronts on Queen was hit by a molotov cocktail a year or two ago. Quite simply, the owner is a slumlord and there is no way she didn't know what was going on. She gets to collect rent while putting almost nothing into her properties and she doesn't have to live in the mess she allows. I did get a chuckle though when I passed by this evening and saw someone sweeping up out front. If it was the owner carrying out "maintenance" because of the media attention, it's a laughable effort to say the least.

A better rumour for development in Downtown Dartmouth is the corner of Ochterloney and Irishtown Road. The four shabbyish houses on the corner are up for sale. I don't think they're problem properties like Queen and Victoria, they're just old and need some care or redevelopment. They can be yours for $1,195,000.

Last edited by spaustin; Jun 2, 2012 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 3:00 AM

does any body know about a 21 story going up by bedford hwy on manor ln.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
With this set of properties it's definitely the later. The properties are all in a terrible state of repair. Calling it minimal maintenance would be generous! This corner is notorious and has been like this not just for years, but for decades. A family friend use to own one of the nice old wooden homes across the street 2 decades ago and it was a problem then. Part of the property that fronts on Queen was hit by a molotov cocktail a year or two ago. Quite simply, the owner is a slumlord and there is no way she didn't know what was going on. She gets to collect rent while putting almost nothing into her properties and she doesn't have to live in the mess she allows. I did get a chuckle though when I passed by this evening and saw someone sweeping up out front. If it was the owner carrying out "maintenance" because of the media attention, it's a laughable effort to say the least.

A better rumour for development in Downtown Dartmouth is the corner of Ochterloney and Irishtown Road. The four shabbyish houses on the corner are up for sale. I don't think they're problem properties like Queen and Victoria, they're just old and need some care or redevelopment. They can be yours for $1,195,000.
I agree 100% on the slumlord thing. This province is the shits when it comes to that.

As I said, its a 2 way street. There absolutely needs to be some enforcement on building codes and standards towards landlords and properties. An anonymous tip line and annual inspections of both the building and the units would be a start..... but there also needs to be a streamlined method where the good landlords can get bad tenants out, QUICKLY, before they ruin the rest of the building.

Bad tenants know the rules of the game and use it to their advantage. A few bad, hard to evict tenants can change the image of a building from a "good" one to a "bad" one in short order.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth