HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Hang in there Hunter, I don't know the exact time frame but I believe your vision (the same as shared by many others) will happen. I think I am like you when I look at a building which is truly incredible lie mortally wounded by time and neglect, I can't help but think about its past, and how the people of that time interacted with the structure as it was an integral part of the city. You mention recently the RKO Hillstreet theatre, well I have books which show the theatre just before demolition and fronted with a sign which proclaims a new 40 story building to take its place (which of course never happened). I think of that theater, the Atlantic Richfield tower, the Victorian Windsor Hotel (all demolished in the early to late sixties) and of course many others, and think what in the Hell where they thinking? Oh and by the way, as far as the 'cool, hip, grunge' look taken on by Ace Hotel (and hopefully not others), it should more accurately be called the "cheap-out" look.

In regards to the grunge look I've heard a rumor that Cliftons is leaving their facade as it is NOW. In complete disrepair. That really pisses me off, Huizar should be on top of this type of non-restoration (as well as stopping the 7-stories and the flat-roofs, but he's dropped the ball on it all).

Don't forget the old Paramount (the largest movie theatre in Downtown at 3,600 seats)- which was torn down for a skyscraper that never happened.

https://sites.google.com/site/downto...s/metropolitan

OR The Philharmonic - one of Downtowns biggest losses at 5,000 seats.

https://sites.google.com/site/downto...res/auditorium

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:01 AM

The parking lot below will be the site of Palmers 6 story apartment complex. The Triangular building (the old LA Railway building) is vacant. Behind it is the old Case Hotel which is starting its boutique hotel conversion in August.
11th & Broadway by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Without the facade lighting the new Marriott at Francisco & Olympic would be quite ugly. It has made quite a visual impact.
Olympic from Broadway by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

View towards Bunker Hill from Historic Core. You can see how large an impact the 9th & Olive Onni tower has made. If you look directly behind the cab of the crane you'll see the blank strip of sky where Wilshire Grand will rise.
Downtown Skyline 7/14 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:11 AM

And the 24-hour CVS is moving along, due to open in just a couple weeks. I probably won't post about it again until its done.

CVS at 7th & Spring July 17th, 2014 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:42 AM

Wow! CVS is really picking up the pace! I wish they could've scrubbed the facade on the ground floor.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
I can't believe how beautiful the Merrit Building used to be. I hope some day we will see the lower floors brought back to what they used to be. Can you imagine it looking like that again with decent ground floor retail? Hopefully the May Co renovation will inspire others to get their act together.
The dilapidated condition of the once truly impressive Merrit bldg is one reason why I've long been so angry at all the ppl....including slumlords, swapmeet tenants & their customers....all the ppl who've been a part of a vicious cycle...one enabling the other.....thru the decades. Their departure....their disappearance....won't happen a second too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
In regards to the grunge look I've heard a rumor that Cliftons is leaving their facade as it is NOW. In complete disrepair. That really pisses me off, Huizar should be on top of this type of non-restoration (as well as stopping the 7-stories and the flat-roofs, but he's dropped the ball on it all).
I was worried about that. I don't know what's worse: owner Andrew Meieran thinking the grunge look is hip & cool....if he believes clifton's will feel more authentic with a somewhat shabby facade....or if it's actually cuz his back is up against the wall in meeting expenses.

I guess the latter is worse...or what I thought was the likely reason the new owner of the UA bldg didn't do a complete job on its facade before the ace hotel opened.

Then again, that may be as incorrect as assuming the colors of the new apt bldg in Little tokyo designed by TCA are horrible due to a tight budget.

your great rooftop shots of dt are another reminder why it's important that palmer start work on his new apt bldg asap, since the lower half of broadway still has some major gaps in it. but the pic of the hood looking westward & that shows the new construction in that direction is a reminder too that the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place. Slowly but surely.

btw, I love the way that old bldgs look...like the one where the new cvs store will be located....& how they sort of sparkle after they've been steam cleaned following yrs & yrs of neglect.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Wow! CVS is really picking up the pace! I wish they could've scrubbed the facade on the ground floor.
Maybe they'll still clean it. Most the buildings in Historic Core are literally shit & pissed on every single night. If I were CVS I would wait until JUST before opening to clean up the ground floor. Hopefully they will.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
The dilapidated condition of the once truly impressive Merrit bldg is one reason why I've long been so angry at all the ppl....including slumlords, swapmeet tenants & their customers....all the ppl who've been a part of a vicious cycle...one enabling the other.....thru the decades. Their departure....their disappearance....won't happen a second too soon.

btw, I love the way that old bldgs look...like the one where the new cvs store will be located....& how they sort of sparkle after they've been steam cleaned following yrs & yrs of neglect.
Citywatch,
when I hear your words I sense a strong emotion that oftentimes I too feel when it comes to various issues downtown. Take the Merrit bldg for example. I see not just an old rundown building, I see a symbol of a different era. It was the product of a pioneering entrepreneur who endeavored to build something of good design, solid construction with taste and dignity. I'm sure in its day it served its purpose well. When I see the disgusting neglect issued forth on this structure (as well as many other buildings downtown) a hundred years later it appalls me. When I see this I get such a sense of disrespect for a thing of the past, something which represents history and dignity. Hopefully, this building, as well as many others downtown (e.g. the current Commercial Exchange building), will be strong enough to wait for that special owner who will recognize them for their beauty and potential to be reborn. Its happening now and I think that the pace will quicken in the near future. As far as the Ace hotel and Clifton's are concerned I think that their initial budgets were not capitalized enough to complete the full restoration. Hopefully, when their balance sheets improve there will be further improvements toward completion. If I wrong and this was an intentional "grundge look" then perhaps other investors efforts will show them up, and set a better precedent

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe they'll still clean it. Most the buildings in Historic Core are literally shit & pissed on every single night. If I were CVS I would wait until JUST before opening to clean up the ground floor. Hopefully they will.
I hated walking by the CVS building…it always was disgustingly filthy. The building itself is beautiful and I am very happy to see the street level retail activated. BTW, the developer of the Walgreens building on 5th did a great job.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 9:36 PM

Quote:
I hated walking by the CVS building…it always was disgustingly filthy. The building itself is beautiful and I am very happy to see the street level retail activated. BTW, the developer of the Walgreens building on 5th did a great job.
I agree.

The building at 7th & Spring where CVS is going is the Van Nuys building, which is an old folks home (like so many prime buildings in DTLA). It really is a disgusting intersection, like many in the area. Hopefully the 24 hour CVS will help that (though it could backfire if the hobos decide to use it as their beer stop) with their security guard that will be stationed outside the store.

The Walgreens building at 5th & Broadway is the Chester Williams, which was a great conversion to market rate apartments.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 1:47 AM

Wink My LA additions

These are nice photos Go LA.

Last edited by reggie28; Jul 25, 2014 at 5:41 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:04 PM

Just curious, how bad is the homeless/hobo/crackhead situation in DTLA compared to San Francisco? I live in the mid-Market area and it's truly awful at times. People taking a dump or smoking crack right out in the open, all the time, 24/7. I know y'all have skid row, but how far removed is it from these newer, cupcake-shop gentrifying areas?

I understand it's a complex social issue and that it's sad, but let's be real, when it comes to living somewhere I'm sure most of us prefer cleanliness and being around put-together folk.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Just curious, how bad is the homeless/hobo/crackhead situation in DTLA compared to San Francisco? I live in the mid-Market area and it's truly awful at times. People taking a dump or smoking crack right out in the open, all the time, 24/7. I know y'all have skid row, but how far removed is it from these newer, cupcake-shop gentrifying areas?

I understand it's a complex social issue and that it's sad, but let's be real, when it comes to living somewhere I'm sure most of us prefer cleanliness and being around put-together folk.
Its about just as bad.

Its truly horrible in Historic Core, and its only gotten worse over the last couple years.

The western side of Downtown (Financial, Bunker Hill, South Park) is all very nice, and you'll rarely witness a hobo shitting on your building.

I'm trying my hardest to move OUT of Historic Core at the moment because of this very issue. Many long-time Downtown residents are fleeing to other areas and neighborhoods to escape the homeless as well. The city will do nothing about it, and the upcoming Broadway Streetscape (patio furniture all down a Historic Core street) is going to make things exponentially worse.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 2:47 PM

Thanks always for the photos. With all the encouraging new this past week Commercial Exchange, Metropolis site, review of apts. along Olympic and Fig Central the decades long problem of the homeless continues to cast a shadow on all this activity. Sorry to hear you and other are on the move from the historic core, the area most of us were looking to be reborn. Workers in has-mat suits spraying down sidewalks seems to say it all. We cannot do much for any economic downturn, or act of God but there has to be a solution for this decades long problem. now would be the time it would seem. I'm on the east coast and not comfortable commenting on this issue, but I would like to see the resurgence of downtown continue. I can only hope the many new residents will demand changes after all it is their home.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 5:12 PM

dtladenizen, I know you've never hesitated to mention things you don't like about dtla, including the quality of the design of new devlpt or urban problems involving homelessness & dirty streets. I often wonder at what point ppl who live in dt, as you do, reach a breaking point & finally give up on the hood or city entirely.

I'm worried that mainly for legal or political reasons, the issue of rampant homelessness in dtla &, worse of all, dangerous panhandlers not only will never be solved but will grow worse.

I was reading about a nasty encounter that ssp's brigham yen, when visiting a new store at broadway & 5th street, had with a violent homeless guy. It was not a pretty tale at all. If that can happen to someone like him....who I don't believe even lives in the hood & so doesn't experience it 24/7....it can happen to anyone.

Brigham is a big fan of dtla, but I know if I had the type of encounter he had, it would put a huge, huge damper on my regard for that part of LA. As it is, I sometimes come away from dt with a cloud over my head when I still see so many areas that need to be filled in or cleaned up, or sidewalks, plazas, stores or restaurants that are far too quiet.

at the same time, I also have to remember that it's easy to have the feeling that the grass is greener on the other side of the hill. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

with that in mind, I hope it's ok if I post this in your thread....

Quote:
Metro area ranked by happiness, adjusted for income, demography 

Lafayette, LA MSA 0.145806
Shreveport-Bossier City, LA MSA 0.125351
Baton Rouge, LA MSA 0.101774
Nashville, TN MSA 0.084484
Charlottesville, VA MSA 0.080417
Honolulu, HI MSA 0.07914
Flagstaff, AZ-UT MSA 0.070642
Savannah, GA MSA 0.070222
Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, VA-NC MSA 0.068861
Charleston-North Charleston, SC MSA 0.068104
Galveston-Texas City, TX PMSA 0.06705
Columbus, GA-AL MSA 0.062651
Richmond-Petersburg, VA MSA 0.062068
Anchorage, AK MSA 0.058353
Jacksonville, FL MSA 0.054236
Tallahassee, FL MSA 0.052183
Colorado Springs, CO MSA 0.048718
Washington, DC-MD-VA-WV PMSA 0.044313
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC MSA 0.03971
Atlantic-Cape May, NJ PMSA 0.036343
Knoxville, TN MSA 0.034315
West Palm Beach-Boca Raton, FL MSA 0.033968
Yuma, AZ MSA 0.033816
New Orleans, LA MSA 0.033545
Orlando, FL MSA 0.032438
Santa Fe, NM MSA 0.031697
Boulder-Longmont, CO PMSA 0.030526
Bloomington-Normal, IL MSA 0.030261
Little Rock-North Little Rock, AR MSA 0.030006
Birmingham, AL MSA 0.029501
Memphis, TN-AR-MS MSA 0.028779
Wilmington-Newark, DE-MD PMSA 0.02671
Phoenix-Mesa, AZ MSA 0.024941
Atlanta, GA MSA 0.023622
Dubuque, IA MSA 0.022891
Des Moines, IA MSA 0.022856
Houston, TX PMSA 0.022819
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI MSA 0.022434
Mobile, AL MSA 0.022092
Iowa City, IA MSA 0.022021
Tucson, AZ MSA 0.021515
Denver, CO PMSA 0.0163
Baltimore, MD PMSA 0.016041
Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC MSA 0.015942
Athens, GA MSA 0.015788
Fort Lauderdale, FL PMSA 0.014861
San Antonio, TX MSA 0.014644
Trenton, NJ PMSA 0.014119
Reno, NV MSA 0.013513
Chattanooga, TN-GA MSA 0.013388
Portland, ME NECMA 0.011766
Dallas, TX PMSA 0.011729

La Crosse, WI-MN MSA 0.011436
El Paso, TX MSA 0.011295
Peoria-Pekin, IL MSA 0.01126
Albuquerque, NM MSA 0.008242
San Diego, CA MSA 0.006552
New London-Norwich, CT NECMA 0.006393
Columbia, MO MSA 0.004241
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA 0.003805
Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-Lompoc, CA MSA 0.003162
Salt Lake City-Ogden, UT MSA 0.00227
Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon, NJ PMSA 0.002014
Miami, FL PMSA 0.001039

Austin-San Marcos, TX MSA 2.25E-05
Rapid City, SD MSA -0.0006
Boise City, ID MSA -0.00061
Kansas City, MO-KS MSA -0.00394
Orange County, CA PMSA -0.00418
Bellingham, WA MSA -0.00422
Ventura, CA PMSA -0.00515
Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland, MI MSA -0.00548
Lynchburg, VA MSA -0.00627
Springfield, IL MSA -0.0064
Asheville, NC MSA -0.00703
Greensboro--Winston-Salem--High Point, NC MSA -0.00717
Green Bay, WI MSA -0.00795
Omaha, NE-IA MSA -0.0084
Tacoma, WA PMSA -0.01009
Newark, NJ PMSA -0.01109
Bangor, ME NECMA -0.01259
Spokane, WA MSA -0.01273
Ann Arbor, MI PMSA -0.01377
Sacramento, CA PMSA -0.01409
Lexington, KY MSA -0.01672
Stockton-Lodi, CA MSA -0.01908
Grand Forks, ND-MN MSA -0.01927
Daytona Beach, FL MSA -0.01936
Santa Rosa, CA PMSA -0.01953
Sioux Falls, SD MSA -0.01957
Hartford, CT NECMA -0.02008
Portland-Vancouver, OR-WA PMSA -0.02028
Columbus, OH MSA -0.02091
Syracuse, NY MSA -0.02103
Fresno, CA MSA -0.02142
Sioux City, IA-NE MSA -0.02564
Olympia, WA PMSA -0.02649
Chicago, IL PMSA -0.02772
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA PMSA -0.0304
Springfield, MO MSA -0.03072
Oklahoma City, OK MSA -0.03113
Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA PMSA -0.03186
Boston-Worcester-Lawrence-Lowell-Brockton, MA-NH NECMA -0.03206
Decatur, IL MSA -0.03216
Charleston, WV MSA -0.03234
Riverside-San Bernardino, CA PMSA -0.0327
Tulsa, OK MSA -0.03291
Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY MSA -0.03324
Rochester, NY MSA -0.03402
Wichita, KS MSA -0.03404
Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA PMSA -0.03496
Topeka, KS MSA -0.03499
Cedar Rapids, IA MSA -0.03548
St. Louis, MO-IL MSA -0.03601
Las Vegas, NV-AZ MSA -0.03675
San Francisco, CA PMSA -0.03747
Joplin, MO MSA -0.03772
Philadelphia, PA-NJ PMSA -0.0391
Muncie, IN MSA -0.04276
San Jose, CA PMSA -0.04512
Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN PMSA -0.04627
Bakersfield, CA MSA -0.04713
New Haven-Bridgeport-Stamford-Waterbury-Danbury, CT NECMA -0.04894
Vallejo-Fairfield-Napa, CA PMSA -0.05027
Akron, OH PMSA -0.05158
Indianapolis, IN MSA -0.05185
Bergen-Passaic, NJ PMSA -0.05196
Providence-Warwick-Pawtucket, RI NECMA -0.05295
Oakland, CA PMSA -0.05338
Louisville, KY-IN MSA -0.05436
Terre Haute, IN MSA -0.05596
Lansing-East Lansing, MI MSA -0.05896
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA MSA -0.06253
Flint, MI PMSA -0.06299
Milwaukee-Waukesha, WI PMSA -0.0643
Abilene, TX MSA -0.06473
Bloomington, IN MSA -0.06654
Nassau-Suffolk, NY PMSA -0.06744
Pittsburgh, PA MSA -0.07069
Dayton-Springfield, OH MSA -0.07091
Fort Wayne, IN MSA -0.07096
Springfield, MA NECMA -0.07546
Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA MSA -0.08595
Gary, IN PMSA -0.08744
Jersey City, NJ PMSA -0.08774
Detroit, MI PMSA -0.08775
Toledo, OH MSA -0.09056
Evansville-Henderson, IN-KY MSA -0.09715
Erie, PA MSA -0.10314
South Bend, IN MSA -0.10437
New York, NY PMSA -0.11981

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Its about just as bad.

Its truly horrible in Historic Core, and its only gotten worse over the last couple years.

The western side of Downtown (Financial, Bunker Hill, South Park) is all very nice, and you'll rarely witness a hobo shitting on your building.

I'm trying my hardest to move OUT of Historic Core at the moment because of this very issue. Many long-time Downtown residents are fleeing to other areas and neighborhoods to escape the homeless as well. The city will do nothing about it, and the upcoming Broadway Streetscape (patio furniture all down a Historic Core street) is going to make things exponentially worse.
While I don't disagree with your sentiments, I do have to say that the homeless problem around 9th and Broadway used to be horrendous. What changed? The Orpheum, the Eastern Columbia, the Ace Hotel etc. The redevelopment of these historic buildings has moved the homeless out of the immediate area because property owners will not not tolerate the filth around their buildings. The game changer for the future is stated in this article in the third paragraph….it gives me hope we an reverse this trend in the historic core. Now, will the Councilman finally let us know if the 1250 units are built? I believe in the historic core and its future abandonment is not an option even though you personally will move out of the area (and that is your prerogative).

http://m.ladowntownnews.com/news/cit....html?mode=jqm

The article above is from 2007.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldor120la View Post
Thanks always for the photos. With all the encouraging new this past week Commercial Exchange, Metropolis site, review of apts. along Olympic and Fig Central the decades long problem of the homeless continues to cast a shadow on all this activity. Sorry to hear you and other are on the move from the historic core, the area most of us were looking to be reborn. Workers in has-mat suits spraying down sidewalks seems to say it all. We cannot do much for any economic downturn, or act of God but there has to be a solution for this decades long problem. now would be the time it would seem. I'm on the east coast and not comfortable commenting on this issue, but I would like to see the resurgence of downtown continue. I can only hope the many new residents will demand changes after all it is their home.
The resurgence will continue regardless of the homeless issue (look at SF, they're actually booming). The more high-end residential & hotels we get the better things will be. Residents with decent income generally will not tolerate homeless at their buildings.

Quote:
While I don't disagree with your sentiments, I do have to say that the homeless problem around 9th and Broadway used to be horrendous. What changed? The Orpheum, the Eastern Columbia, the Ace Hotel etc. The redevelopment of these historic buildings has moved the homeless out of the immediate area because property owners will not not tolerate the filth around their buildings. The game changer for the future is stated in this article in the third paragraph….it gives me hope we an reverse this trend in the historic core. Now, will the Councilman finally let us know if the 1250 units are built? I believe in the historic core and its future abandonment is not an option even though you personally will move out of the area (and that is your prerogative).

http://m.ladowntownnews.com/news/cit....html?mode=jqm

The article above is from 2007.
The "10 feet of a building entrance, business or driveway" isn't enforced at all. I highly doubt they'll tell us once those 1250 units are finished being built (EDIT: just asked a friend in the city who says they're well over 1250 units, but won't do anything because they're afraid of lawsuits) Even if they do, what then? The city is too far-left leaning, too timid, too politically correct, to push these people away for the benefit of safety and businesses in the core.

In my opinion LA City won't do anything about it, the only thing we can hope for is more is more normal people on the streets to bring the ratio to a livable number.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 2:37 AM

Quote:
The resurgence will continue regardless of the homeless issue (look at SF, they're actually booming). The more high-end residential & hotels we get the better things will be. Residents with decent income generally will not tolerate homeless at their buildings.

The "10 feet of a building entrance, business or driveway" isn't enforced at all. I highly doubt they'll tell us once those 1250 units are finished being built (EDIT: just asked a friend in the city who says they're well over 1250 units, but won't do anything because they're afraid of lawsuits) Even if they do, what then? The city is too far-left leaning, too timid, too politically correct, to push these people away for the benefit of safety and businesses in the core.

[B]In my opinion LA City won't do anything about it, the only thing we can hope for is more is more normal people on the streets to bring the ratio to a livable number.
I highly doubt they'll tell us once those 1250 units are finished being built (EDIT: just asked a friend in the city who says they're well over 1250 units, but won't do anything because they're afraid of lawsuits) Even if they do, what then? The city is too far-left leaning, too timid, too politically correct, to push these people away for the benefit of safety and businesses in the core.

Hunter, its interesting that you say this. Look at the most recent supportive housing (now that's an interesting euphemism) built on Main street where the city has socially engineered housing right next to renovated market rate (e.g. gentrified) housing. I'm sorry to have to say this but with this misguided concept you have an environment where people live because they worked hard to save and buy and yet you have people who are allowed to live in this same environment because they are drunks, druggies and/or mentally ill. I know this sounds harsh, but I work in the alcohol and drug counseling field. The misguided leaders of this city think that by integrating this population into the mainstream they will somehow magically change their behavior. What their doing is patronizing a population, treating them like children and giving them special rights and privileges which they have not earned. Essentially what the city (with the help of the equally misguided ACLU) is doing has been tried over and over again and it doesn't work.

Last edited by Wilcal; Jul 22, 2014 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post

Hunter, its interesting that you say this. Look at the most recent supportive housing (now that's an interesting euphemism) built on Main street where the city has socially engineered housing right next to renovated market rate (e.g. gentrified) housing. I'm sorry to have to say this but with this misguided concept you have an environment where people live because they worked hard to save and buy and yet you have people who are allowed to live in this same environment because they are drunks, druggies and/or mentally ill. I know this sounds harsh, but I work in the alcohol and drug counseling field. The misguided leaders of this city think that by integrating this population into the mainstream they will somehow magically change their behavior. What their doing is patronizing a population, treating them like children and giving them special rights and privileges which they have not earned. Essentially what the city (with the help of the equally misguided ACLU) is doing has been tried over and over again and it doesn't work.
I agree with you completely. I think about it all the time... Lofts at Rowan go for the mid $400,000s, while right up against the back of it we're giving the homeless apartments for free? Classic LA city planning right there.

I'm going to try and get some new photos tomorrow or Wednesday - not much excitement going on in DTLA in regards to construction at the moment.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:30 AM

Quote:
I agree with you completely. I think about it all the time... Lofts at Rowan go for the mid $400,000s, while right up against the back of it we're giving the homeless apartments for free? Classic LA city planning right there.

I'm going to try and get some new photos tomorrow or Wednesday - not much excitement going on in DTLA in regards to construction at the moment.
Your angst is misguided as the people you don't want on the street are not the ones living in the "Free" apts. Regardless of whether you want supportive housing near where you live, the people who live in those supporting housing project must adhere to certain guidelines (i.e sober living, mental health checks) that I would think would be supported by most people living in the area. If you were really concerned about the state of Homelessness in DTLA you would petition your State & Federal legislature on proving more of these types of services around the Los Angeles area. Especially Veterans homelessness which is the most "fixable" solution to your growing ire of living in a place that has had a homeless problem for at least 50 years. Also, I find it Ironic that you would move to a place that was formally skid row and expect it to be completely changed in less than 10 years.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemycity21 View Post
Your angst is misguided as the people you don't want on the street are not the ones living in the "Free" apts. Regardless of whether you want supportive housing near where you live, the people who live in those supporting housing project must adhere to certain guidelines (i.e sober living, mental health checks) that I would think would be supported by most people living in the area. If you were really concerned about the state of Homelessness in DTLA you would petition your State & Federal legislature on proving more of these types of services around the Los Angeles area. Especially Veterans homelessness which is the most "fixable" solution to your growing ire of living in a place that has had a homeless problem for at least 50 years. Also, I find it Ironic that you would move to a place that was formally skid row and expect it to be completely changed in less than 10 years.
I wrote up a huge response to this - but then decided I won't feed the trolls & ignorants as I often did in the City Compilations thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos