80 South Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 1:25 PM
don't *meddle*...

Updated design:

https://www.facebook.com/MoraliArchitects

Looks like 2WTC is getting a little brother (slanted roof!)...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:14 PM

I think I am in the minority if i also liked the old one but this looks fantastic

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:16 PM

I like

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:20 PM

I still don't think this tower is actually real. Architecture firms generally never release drawings through the conceptual process. But who knows, I could be wrong.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 6:17 PM

Almost reminds me of Dubai's Pentonium tower.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:25 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Up to 838' now, if I'm reading the diagram correctly. looks like a cross between the old Calatrava proposal, the Hudson Yards towers, and One Madison Park.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Tall and thin is in.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 11:06 PM

after looking at the renderings on the FB page, I'm all the more intrigued at how there seem to be so many subtle geometric complexities that could only be detected with a second look...@least IMO.

I'm not sure what the green areas are supposed to entail...maybe greenage. The best thing about it is the kinked pyramidal top. Nice touch, indeed.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 10:28 PM

The update on Morali Architects Facebook page says it was approved by DOB and is 998'. https://www.facebook.com/MoraliArchitects

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 10:40 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
The update on Morali Architects Facebook page says it was approved by DOB and is 998'. https://www.facebook.com/MoraliArchitects
I'm not at all happy--at least from the looks of the 2 most recent renders--that we seem to be getting *another* damned flat roof...and not even a token attempt at a spire element. I hope to God I'm proven wrong (EDIT: I seem to have been, despite hopes to the contrary ).

I'm somewhat dubious about the height figure, too...no offense intended to DesignerVoodoo, the bearer of these tidings. Wasn't the original for 80S just as tall, yet IIRC was disapproved for the same reason? Or was that just an economic casualty?

EDIT: They say on the FB page that 3D renders are forthcoming. I reserve further comment till then. Otherwise my optimism remains *extremely* guarded. They'd better knock it out of the park with this.

Last edited by JayPro; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 10:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post

Interesting...this makes it another supertall for lower Manhattan.

https://www.facebook.com/MoraliArchi...type=1&theater

Quote:
This is our updated front elevation for 80 South Street. The tower comes in at 998' high, and features enlarged integrated green spaces. The bottom three sections are designated as boutique hotel space, with the top sections being residential units. From the very upper floors, residents will get a view of the green wall, essentially their own private sky garden, juxtaposed with the views of Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Quote:
A view of the 80 South Street tower, facing North. With this design, our goal was to blend elements of organic architecture and futurism, while producing a form that was not overly elaborate. The integrated green spaces in the building make it stand apart from other towers in Manhattan, but at the same time connect it to the current transformation of New York's waterfront into an expansive green space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 11:09 PM

i cant wait for some renders

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 11:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
i cant wait for some renders
Looks like it's still in development, and 3D renderings are coming soon...

from today:

Quote:
...Our newest images of 80 South Street! Plans have been approved by the city's DOB, and we've sent plans over to Gilbane Inc. for construction estimates!

...3D renderings coming soon!

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 11:21 PM
Khurram Parvaz

It's a shame something like the previous design got scrapped, but feasibly it was impossible. A few cubes belonging to a few people, would not have made any financial sense. BUT in terms of breakthrough designs like Beekman this is not that, but something is better than nothing. It's similar to 1 Madison Park and that building is not that bad.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 12:06 AM

The suggested facade treatment is nice, which will definitely be brought out more with the greenage placement.
The green and silver blocks on top just seem to be thrown on, which IMHO creates a minor visual dissonance with the rest of the structure (EDIT: Unless I am mistaken in my understanding that the green block will in fact have a skin of foliage, a neat touch if true...and maybe the silver piece will cover the watering source).

Also, as I said before and will say here for the last time so as not to beat the literal dead horse, a rooftop element would've been nice. But who's to keep the spectre of value engineering to rear its ugly head...if indeed that's why the top got changed from the last version?

Last edited by JayPro; Feb 8, 2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: proofreading

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 12:07 AM
Khurram Parvaz

I say just put a spire (thin one) but visible one, and be done.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 12:48 AM

I still think this project is bogus. I looked up on the DOB website and there have been no recent filings.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 1:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I still think this project is bogus. I looked up on the DOB website and there have been no recent filings.
There are no filings, I don't even think they are that far along in the process, they don't even have construction estimates.

http://moraliarchitecture.com/about.htm

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
The developer and architect are both well known and have development track records in NYC, so I don't know why anyone would automatically have more (or less, for that matter) skepticism than for any other development project.

And the Facebook postings don't say they officially filed with DOB; it says they met with DOB and DOB approved of their plans. I don't know anything about this project, but it isn't unusual to meet with DOB and get your bearings before officially filing.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 1:54 AM

Thank you Crawford for addressing the substance of the post I would've written about had you not responded as I was writing it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals