HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 11:51 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Is there a snail emoticon? Maybe a Turtle?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Is there a snail emoticon? Maybe a Turtle?
maybe molasses... running uphill... in January?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 11:44 PM

Photos by me:

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:47 AM

It looks spectacular with the reflection of the cruise ship!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 3:09 AM

This should be done eventually ... I think ... (photos by me);

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 11:08 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Not much to this one. Just an angle I shot of the building when I took the kids down to see the Jack-O-Lanterns at the Farmers Market.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 2:09 AM

South end lookin good :

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:18 AM
we built this city

Well, at least the powerplant is no more. I hope this view improves over the next few years.

Credit: Sharon B12 on Flickr

Especially this part, WTF!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 8:35 AM
Honored Member

I like that first picture - nice find (and thanks to Sharon B12, wherever she is). Regarding the second picture, I think that exterior bare concrete area will be fixed up somewhat when the Discovery Centre begins to be incorporated into the design - it will be a great new space for the Discovery Centre.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I am hoping the Discovery Centre will have a bit of money to do something creative inside and outside of their new space. The entrance would look great if they overhauled it and installed some outdoor science exhibit/art pieces. Barrington's also going to get a new highrise building after the move so it seems like a good deal all around.

Over a longer-term period I hope something good is done with all the empty space on the Vic block. The Vic itself is just a start -- there's tons of development potential nearby.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:15 PM
You talkin' to me?

I love the build-up effect in that first picture where Bishops landing sort of leads up into the higher density CBD. It's an effect I've generally only seen of larger cities.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 10:10 PM

This is now Open, it was on a CTV news story and seems to have turned out quite nicely .

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 2:48 PM

There still appears to be a wall on the new Discovery Centre section that hasn't been clad. Any word as to why this one piece is taking so long?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 7:54 PM

Hi Everyone,

We'd like to thank you all for the lively discussion about our new building at 1223 Lower Water St, known as 1H after the active substation outside. While employees are now working out of the building, there are finishing touches to be completed, such as some landscaping and construction of On the Pier, a new cafe on the boardwalk side that will be open to the public.

A few facts on the building
Regarding the name of the building - 1H has been the first two digits of the name of the Lower Water Street substation since it was built in the early 1900s. All of the substations in Nova Scotia start with a number and a letter – in this case “1” refers to it being the start of the Halifax system, and “H” stands for Halifax.

1H is a fitting name for a few reasons. It captures the fact that our office building started as something else – a power plant. It’s also a recognition that every aspect of our business is interconnected and that we rely on all our employees in every part of the company to succeed. You can trace a kilowatt of electricity from 1H to any substation, transmission or distribution line, large or residential customer anywhere in Nova Scotia.

Regarding the exterior wall on the Discovery Centre section - this area of the building, the former Electropolis space, was not included in the redevelopment plan approved by the Utility and Review Board. Discovery Centre will develop and clad this section of the building before joining us in 2013.

We’re providing the space to Discovery Centre for 25 years for one dollar, plus we will donate $1 million over five years to help them create and maintain displays. The $1 million contribution comes from a fund that Emera shareholders provide to the company to support worthy community initiatives. We want our new space to be an active, inviting part of the community, and Discovery Centre is a perfect fit.

An offer
We'd like to assess if any members of the forum who have been active in this thread would be interested in taking a tour of the building. We could provide a walk-through/overview of the project and answer any questions you may have. If you've been active in this thread and may be interested, feel free to let us know. We'll get a sense of the interest and see if timing could work for a tour.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:42 PM

Would love to attend, but I'd have to fly back from Calgary in order to do so...so I wouldn't be able to do that until July.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 9:06 PM

I'd love to have a look inside. The outside looks nice, even with the unclad section. It gives a sense of what the building looked like before the reno.

(FYI, I use a wheelchair. I'm sure that won't be a problem, though. )

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 10:38 PM
Honored Member

I would think that several people would be interested. I am in the Toronto-area so I won't be able to go on the tour - I wish I could since I have been following the progress and the interior renderings look great; very unique for the Halifax-area.

I hope some people on this forum will go and take some pictures so they can post interior pictures. Hopefully, Jonovision will read this since he is involved with Fusion and seems to be active in making such arrangements.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 10:38 PM

I'd love to take a tour!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 10:49 PM

I'd be interested for sure!

I'm on vacation from this weekend to the end of the month but with some heads up I can attend any other time!

PS I do own a camera so no worries for our long-distance forumers who cannot attend.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 11:54 PM

I would go for sure! I live a couple blocks away on Barrington, so I should be flexible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth