HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 2:05 AM
Everywhere all at once

Nice! It looks pretty clean and finished, but it's still giant ad-friendly.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 7:52 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

By: rudynorff - Skyscrapercity

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 1:48 AM
Ω

wtf were they thinking with that blank side? Totally ruins what could have been a very nice building.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 2:04 AM

What were they thinking? Well, they were thinking about structural integrity, that's what.

It's good to have buildings that will stand up when there's a slight breeze.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 6:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

Again with this silly worry about a blank wall. FACT: The developer anticipates a development on the Brazil Grill site which will more than likely cover much of the north face of 785.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 6:50 PM

1/30/2009

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 1:16 AM
New Yorker for life

One of the nicer slender towers...

Quote:
___

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 10:34 PM
Everywhere all at once

Yea I happen to think that the design on the blank face makes it look like it has a normal windowed facade anyway. I like it!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 11:15 PM

I like it. The windowless side doesn't bother me. Blank walls on highrises are unfashionable at the moment, but that doesn't mean they're forever bad. There's something about the asymmetry and the oblique denial of one's expectations I find appealing.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 3:55 AM

I like it, especially how the balcony slides from one side of the building to the other - I didn't see that detail in the render.

Judging from its location, I don't find it unlikely that another tall structure will rise on its side to cover the concrete wall.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 6:50 AM

very nice! i didnt remember at the first, but now i remember wich tower was it... long time without seen updates for me on this one... very nice final result, love it...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 7:06 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 2:20 AM
New Yorker for life

A peek at the sliver from above...

SGEHagelstein

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 11:48 AM
New Yorker for life

This building had green lighting a few weeks back, so I'm assuming they've finished, but haven't paid much attention to it. Here's more news from curbed.com
http://curbed.com/archives/2009/04/0...r_61m.php#more

Eighth Avenue's New Sliver Building: 45 Apartments for $61M

Monday, April 6, 2009, by Joey

One of the strangest buildings to rise during the boom, 785 Eighth Avenue has stood for months in a nearly completed state without giving off so much as a whisper as to when the building will go on sale. But architect Ismael Leyva's 43-story sliver building, which combines a whole lot of glass with what we like to call the Great Wall of Hell's Kitchen—though some prefer Hell's Needle—is finally creeping out into the open. Sorta. Actually, make that Sorrento. A Curbed tipster fills us in on this curious tale:

785 8th ave has always been somewhat of a mystery. I heard it quickly sold out to international investors...but I just noticed it popped up on StreetEasy as 306 West 48th being marketed as Sorrento. Their website is sort of unclear what exactly is going on. They have a partnership with a corporate housing company, so perhaps all of the units are for investment only? There is a Brown Harris Stevens listing for 45 unit package at 61 million, which gives the price range for the units.

Yep, this is a weird one. Based on the website and the listing, the building—sometimes referred to as S48—is a project of Sorrento Asset Management, a Dublin-based investment firm that bought corporate housing company BridgeStreet Worldwide, which has a 15-year lease on the units (all 122?!). However, the 45-unit portfolio listed by Brown Harris Stevens—eight studios, 33 1BRs, four 2BRs—says the lease agreement is optional. Will any of the building's units actually make it to the open market? The mystery continues!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 11:00 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Ha! Despite all of the unabashed geekery, those rooftop shots are amazing.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 11:32 PM
Urban Advocate

Beautiful. Although not pumped about the giant blank canvas, the rest of the building is amazing.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Ha! Despite all of the unabashed geekery, those rooftop shots are amazing.
LOL, skyscrapers can have that effect on some people...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hopeful Graduate

Simply amazing, and the blank wall does not look that nad to me since it has been painted.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 4:34 PM

On the plus side, that blank wall means that nobody will ever complain when the site or sites north of the building get developed in the future; i.e., 21st Century NIMBYs.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 7:08 AM
Salut tout le monde!

04/24/09

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive