HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:00 PM

the evil hoodoo appears again ...

Given the approaching TOTAL saturation point of the First and Second Narrows crossings, is a third crossing (done right with enough lane space, plus transit) a possibility ... at all... ever?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:27 PM
matt in the city

Put a toll on both bridges and watch traffic drop right away.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:42 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Given the approaching TOTAL saturation point of the First and Second Narrows crossings, is a third crossing (done right with enough lane space, plus transit) a possibility ... at all... ever?
We'll never see it happen. Never. The roads on both ends cannot sustain an increase in traffic. At this point, the only thing that can be done is to:

a) implement tolling on both crossings and
b) charging a significant amount of money to park @ popular tourists spots (Deep Cove). Permit Parking only spots within a few km radius of these spots.

The migration of folks you see moving out of the North Shore are downsizing and opting to move into the Valley but are still commuting to North Van. This accounts for the significant amount of traffic pouring into Highway 1 near the Cape Horn every morning enroute to the Ironworkers.

The other aspect is the instagram crowd that's traveling to North Shore to get their hiking fix. You have tourists and some individuals going up there every day. Want to know how bad it is now? Deep Cove reached capacity at 8:30am last Thursday! These are all individuals going to the popular Quary Rock hike. Off-topic but Highway #1 was stop-and-go before Hope on June 29th (the Thursday before Canada day) highlighting how bad congestion is getting in BC. It's too cheap to travel, camp and hike...This is the time for districts and the province to cash in on the craze and force users to pay within parks.

You can talk about a third or forth crossing but all this would do is lead to another choke-point. I'd estimate that the Lower Mainland and BC require $20+ Billion on road improvements to relieve all the congestion we see today.

Ideally you would like to see another crossing near Main St leading into North Vancouver (carrying the EXPO line extension with it) and one leading through Belcarra connecting Coquitlam and beyond to North Van. Only in dreamland....

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:44 PM
See ya down under, mates

^Agreed, there's no doubt it's people coming to and from the north shore from elsewhere. North shore residents barely make a dent.

But I disagree that, say, a six lane Lions Gate connecting to the six lane Georgia st wouldn't make a huge difference. They often have one lane - ONE LANE - and even when it goes to two lanes (usually an hour too late) it clears up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
All three north shore mayors are inexplicably for transit crossings only, no cars. That certainly doesn't match with the opinion of north shore residents.

And of course Gregor/Van parks board would kill any attempt to add lanes towards the CoV.

It's getting extra bad with the increased tourism. I'm just glad I'm going against the flow most of the time, but I shudder to think about what I'd do if I had afternoon shifts.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
This, oh Lord, this. It has to be one of the most idiosyncratic things about Vancouver that drives me insane any time I have to drive around the City.
Yes. And put in no left turn signs at all the minor streets. If you want to to turn left either use one of the left turn lane streets or turn right before and circle around. It's ridiculous. It's also stupid that the city has removed the no left turn signs in various intersections. Why?! Just to screw traffic up?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Yes. And put in no left turn signs at all the minor streets. If you want to to turn left either use one of the left turn lane streets or turn right before and circle around. It's ridiculous. It's also stupid that the city has removed the no left turn signs in various intersections. Why?! Just to screw traffic up?
Short answer? Yes.

This is also why construction and lane closures in the CoV are both timed for weekdays during the day. It's done on purpose, to frustrate drivers to the point that they choose alternative modes of transportation.

The problem with that line of thinking is that public transit, cycling or walking isn't always the best option for everyone to get where they need to go.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
Short answer? Yes.

This is also why construction and lane closures in the CoV are both timed for weekdays during the day. It's done on purpose, to frustrate drivers to the point that they choose alternative modes of transportation.

The problem with that line of thinking is that public transit, cycling or walking isn't always the best option for everyone to get where they need to go.
Yes... it's all a big conspiracy!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 4:57 AM
Dahvie Fan

Oak street bridge update. Instead of patching holes one by one every time they occur, a long fresh strip of asphalt has been laid in the right lane going north bound. So happy to see this.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
^Agreed, there's no doubt it's people coming to and from the north shore from elsewhere. North shore residents barely make a dent.

But I disagree that, say, a six lane Lions Gate connecting to the six lane Georgia st wouldn't make a huge difference. They often have one lane - ONE LANE - and even when it goes to two lanes (usually an hour too late) it clears up.

All three north shore mayors are inexplicably for transit crossings only, no cars. That certainly doesn't match with the opinion of north shore residents.

And of course Gregor/Van parks board would kill any attempt to add lanes towards the CoV.

It's getting extra bad with the increased tourism. I'm just glad I'm going against the flow most of the time, but I shudder to think about what I'd do if I had afternoon shifts.
This is why after the Gateway Highway 1 project the next project should've been re-doing all of the Upper Levels. Just adding an HOV lane from Grandview to Taylor way would make a big difference. And just extending the ridiculously short or non-existent merge lanes and re-doing the Capilano Bridge with that ridiculous curve would be awesome. The Second Narrows and the Upper Levels are the new Port Mann and Highway 1 congestion and outdated road design wise.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 6:19 AM

^^ They should kill off the Nanaimo-Horseshoe Bay ferry route for a start.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Oak street bridge update. Instead of patching holes one by one every time they occur, a long fresh strip of asphalt has been laid in the right lane going north bound. So happy to see this.
I noticed this! The entire bridge needs to be resurfaced after last winter's pothole mess. Another thing I noticed is that they took out a bunch of the Jersey barriers just before the bridge on the south end and replaced them with cones. Anyone know why?

On the "conspiracy" to get more people onto transit: it would be believable if the buses were actually a viable alternative for most people. But to get anywhere you need to transfer twice and the transfers rarely line up, and if you actually get onto the bus you want, it'll probably get stuck in Kerrisdale for 20 minutes just like everyone else.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
Short answer? Yes.

With Gregor & Co it wouldn't surprise me. is there any rational reason the Burrard Street Bridge and sewer work has dragged on for such ridiculous amount of time?

We've also seen Vision screwing with the Green Wave for lights on streets like Howe and Nelson out of Vancouver for no good reason.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 10:58 PM

moonbeam and his cronies only care about bike lanes. By intentionally causing more congestion, more greenhouse gases will be released because vehicles are spending more time idling getting stuck at gridlock. So much for being green LOL.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p78hub View Post
I noticed this! The entire bridge needs to be resurfaced after last winter's pothole mess. Another thing I noticed is that they took out a bunch of the Jersey barriers just before the bridge on the south end and replaced them with cones. Anyone know why?

On the "conspiracy" to get more people onto transit: it would be believable if the buses were actually a viable alternative for most people. But to get anywhere you need to transfer twice and the transfers rarely line up, and if you actually get onto the bus you want, it'll probably get stuck in Kerrisdale for 20 minutes just like everyone else.
Jersey Barriers out so they can single lane both directions on only 1 side of the bridge.

They only managed to pave the Right lane of the NB lanes last weekend, less than they planned I imagine since they only booked 2 weekends to complete the whole project.

With rain overnight into Saturday, I suspect work will be delayed and they may need a few more weekend evening lane closures to complete.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 10:36 PM

Highway 91 traffic on a Saturday afternoon. 3+3 lanes will be needed also here in 10 years time.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:22 AM

If you people hope to see continued investments and improvements in our highway system I suggest you send the new minister an e-mail:

Claire Trevena's website and wiki page

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 6:13 AM

Is the E-W connector mainly commuter traffic? It's also one of those highways that seems to have one of those never ending rush-hours.

The biggest bottleneck for that entire highway is probably one of the bridges, once again.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
Is the E-W connector mainly commuter traffic? It's also one of those highways that seems to have one of those never ending rush-hours.

The biggest bottleneck for that entire highway is probably one of the bridges, once again.
At least 91 west during the afternoon west moves relatively nicely across
The Alex Fraser. Wait till they construct that extra counter flow lane on the bridge deck. The lane widths will be reduced. The speed limit, which as we know
Is as usual ridiculously low, will be lowered to 70. So it'll essentially be 4 lanes east and 2 lanes west during the afternoon rush. Guarantee west will be a slog like 99 north is today during the afternoon rush.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
At least 91 west during the afternoon west moves relatively nicely across
The Alex Fraser. Wait till they construct that extra counter flow lane on the bridge deck. The lane widths will be reduced. The speed limit, which as we know
Is as usual ridiculously low, will be lowered to 70. So it'll essentially be 4 lanes east and 2 lanes west during the afternoon rush. Guarantee west will be a slog like 99 north is today during the afternoon rush.
No it will be 4 lanes one direction and 3 lanes the other. 7 lanes total

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:42 PM

I drive the 91 everyday. The stretch between Knight St and Nelson Rd is a terrible bottleneck with all the merging onto the highway not getting up to speed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure