HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
^This looks nothing like the rendering...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^Talk about massive VE savings!
I've been hearing that they're short of cash.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 12:13 AM

Zoning application in for a few buildings at 16th Street and Desplaines. Athens Construction wants to convert the existing 3 story building to residential and then basically replace the 1 story building next to it with a new 7 story building from what I gather. The existing 3 story building would be converted into 10 total units while the new 7 story building would be 34 units - 44 units total. 45 total parking space. Doesn't look to be a retail/commercial component. That's too bad...

Athens Construction purchased the industrial building right next door and renovated it into what it is today (condos) with some addition. Totally different than what it used to be. I kind of like the interiors.. (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...als-goes-condo). Here is a look at the project including interiors:
http://www.athensconstruction.com/pr...Project-2.html

Currently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/61...65!4d-87.64219

Really wish they would put some business type of space in the ground floor on these

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 1:29 AM
atomic

Why would there be a commercial component? I can't think of a single retail business fronting 16th Street anywhere in Pilsen, except where it crosses Halsted. This is a TOD site technically, since it sits close to the Halsted St Metra station, but there's only a handful of trains that stop there, it sees very low usage. (<100 people per day).

This is in Thompson's ward, not Solis, so it won't face the usual Pilsen buzzsaw.

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 15, 2017 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 1:45 AM

^ What is the reason for not putting it in? It's not like that area has no retail/commercial component but it would be nice to have some areas of development that actually have this stuff.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 1:54 AM

Illume Condos

Nov 14

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 2:25 AM

Nobu Hotel - 854 W Randolph

Taking a break while finances get straightened out.....

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:07 AM
atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ What is the reason for not putting it in? It's not like that area has no retail/commercial component but it would be nice to have some areas of development that actually have this stuff.
16th is a residential street with some light industry. It's not a place people go to shop, or to dine. There are plenty of available spaces on Halsted and 18th that can't find tenants (although things are picking up), why would a developer build a retail space on a quiet side street that's gonna be even less appealing to a retail tenant?

The simpler answer is, the building is most likely going to be condos, so the developer wanted to provide parking for each unit. The cheapest place to put the parking was on the ground floor (and the lower level).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 1:28 PM

900 W Washington

Number 25 on the Curbed guide to the West Loop

Nov 14

Some views preserved

(the blocking isn't as bad as it looks since the neighbors are set back by an alley and a pool deck).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:47 PM

McDonalds HQ - 1058 W Washington

Nov 14

Nov 6

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
cost with ride share depends how far you have to go... yet with CTA it's a flat rate if you stay on a single mode/line.

Ride share uses personal automobiles where passenger space is limited so marginal cost, based on distance traveled, is significant and can be allocated easily per passenger.

In contrast, trains and buses are traveling along fixed routes with a generally known level of users so the marginal cost based on distance traveled is irrelevant...the bus or train would be heading in that direction anyway and there are additional passengers waiting for pickup (providing regular revenue inputs). Further, due to their size and capacity allocating that additional cost based on distance would be rather difficult.

Quote:
my wife takes uberpool to work everyday instead of a bus - for her it can be cheaper that $2.25 on most days without bad weather (which bumbs up demand).

for me going downtown from bucktown even with an uberpool it can be $10-15 on most days, while the CTA is a flat $2.

My wife got hooked on cheap rideshare for a while too. Fact is, it is purely an issue of convenience and isn't cost effective at all for a regular commute. You can't use tax-free money from a transportation account to pay for rideshare. With about 20 workdays per month and 2 rides each day UberPool would have to cost less than $1.70 ($100 monthly pass with pre-tax savings costing roughly $67 divided by 40 rides per month) on average in order to be cost effective. That assumes you don't use the CTA on weekends (which would essentially be free trips). Each additional trip beyond the 40 taken for work would lower the average cost per trip that month.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:26 PM

A bit off topic, but two things I noticed on recent overseas trips I would love Chicago to implement.

From Paris, transparency on infrastructure investments instead of just a "Building a New Chicago" sign.

From London, historical markers on buildings to identify famous residents.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:44 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
In contrast, trains and buses are traveling along fixed routes with a generally known level of users so the marginal cost based on distance traveled is irrelevant...the bus or train would be heading in that direction anyway and there are additional passengers waiting for pickup (providing regular revenue inputs). Further, due to their size and capacity allocating that additional cost based on distance would be rather difficult.
There are cities that have fare zones for buses, enabling differing pricing (I know that Portland, Oregon either does that or at least did that when I lived there 30 years ago). It's more or less honor system with occasional enforcement checks. How it might be done with Ventra payment systems, I don't know - it seems like for buses that would be tricky. Doing it with trains would require equipment being reconfigured to swipe on exit and locating at least one pay kiosk inside every paid area, too.

Personally, I think that for trains it should be distance-based. Doing so helps focus the agency, enabling it to recoup more revenue for far-out areas or to see that those far-out areas don't place value on long-distance trips if ridership falls. Plenty of places have distance-based fares, from Paris to Washington to the Bay Area and I'm sure others. If Chicago did that, it would see higher ridership closer in if prices were slightly lower, helping to justify new service in the central area where it is most appropriate. The CTA could either do zones or base the far on how many stations you travel. Travel within one zone could be $2, between adjacent zones, $3, and across more than two, $4. Or it could be a base far of $1.75 plus $0.10 per station travelled (with the entire Loop counting as one stop for calculations), so $1.85 to go one stop, but $3.65 to get to the Loop from Rogers Park or $4.65 to go from Howard to 95th Street on the Red Line, or $3.25 to go from Rosemont to the Loop on the Blue Line. That wouldn't result in hugely disproportionate fares, but would reflect the higher costs of running long distances.

Monthly passes could be priced according to maximum "free" distance, with trips exceeding that being charged. A sensible plan would be 40x the price of the desired maximum trip - so someone who rides five stops for their commute could buy a monthly pass based on that for $90 ((1.75 + (5*0.1))*40), but someone coming from Howard every day would need to spend $146 for a monthly pass that covered their commute to the Loop.

It could also be based purely on distance between starting and ending stations. That way a trip from North/Clyborn on the Red to the Damen station on the Blue Line would be charged for a trip of 1.5 miles (the "as the crow flies" distance between stations) instead of making people pay extra for an inconvenient trip. Doing it that way would encourage the CTA to add lines focused on making trips more efficient since they would have no perverse incentive like they would if charging by stations traveled past.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:01 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
From London, historical markers on buildings to identify famous residents.
The London (and similar Paris) blue plaque program was the inspiration for these markers I designed nearly 20 years ago:

Alas, the Chicago Tribute program no longer has any sort of patron; DCASE washed its hands of them about five years ago. Over the summer I revisited all 80 of them, and found about 20 percent severely damaged or missing.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Nov 14

I can stare at the McDonalds HQ for hours

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:56 PM

^agreed, it’s pretty good so far. Looking back on renderings, the entire top floor was going to be glass. Was there a design change for the top, or is that white wall still going to be glass?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:02 PM

210 N carpenter

Nov 14

From the Morgan stations

Nov 13

from a speeding El

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:15 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Nov 14

Such a great little detail; presumably to remain exposed...?
I would love that

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:25 PM
The City

^ Yup. The NIMBYs were way off with this one. It is obviously an appropriately scaled building. Plus you need something substantial facing a park

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:27 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^Agreed, I love this project

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 8:00 PM

210 N Green

Nov 14

Zipping past on the Green Line

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development