HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 3:45 AM

Chicago-Rogers Park, Loyola University and Beaches Northside

Rogers Park and Loyola University plus beaches in Rogers Park (two weeks below we moved):

When the sun isn’t shining directly into the building the blinds go away and you can see through the building to Lake Michigan!

My Old Apartment Building on Farwell!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 3:54 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

This really is a neat part of the city, on August 16th I did a long walk from the Evanston border all the way to Hollywood Beach. Rogers Park/Edgewater in the summer is like a multicultural beach resort. I love all the pocket beaches in Rogers Park that are just at the edge of a street and often between apartment buildings. In some cases all you would literally see from those apartments is water or sand, awesome in summer but perhaps depressing in winter. I was also in that area last labor day but this labor day it looks like the weather is going to kind of suck, this thread makes me think about going there tomorrow which might be the last decent beach day of the official swim season anyways.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 1:35 AM

Beautiful thread. I love the church. And the beach scenes.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 4:02 AM

nice thread. we don't really get too much of the far north side on the forum.

Loyola's campus is incredibly tranquil and inviting in a way you wouldn't think sticking on the busy periphery both south and west on Sheridan Road.

I like the Rogers Park beaches because they are so different from the rest of the North Side lakefront: no Lincoln Park, so they abut directly with the city and far fewer highrises that dominate the entire north side lakefront up through Edgewater.

I like the shots looking north along the lakefront with the buildings of downtown Evanston standing out in the distance.

Question: what is the construction site west of Sheridan and the Loyola Ave el station???????????????

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 5:18 AM
International

i love how chicago's far north side is so incredibly urban and dense, even in light of the distance and long transit times separating between it and the loop. but what is it with chicago and one-story buildings next to el stops?!?!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 4:10 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
but what is it with chicago and one-story buildings next to el stops?!?!
The City's Department of Housing and Economic Development (DHED) has long been aware of this and has started to work on a zoning strategy to change this. The problem is, its a long process that includes educating the public and changing the mind set of of communities (especially NIMBY's and residents who fear density) and some community leaders. Also, in a sluggish real estate markets property owners believe you are causing them economic harm by placing limits on their property. Although this attitude is not widespread, sometimes it can be a problem.

This new zoning strategy was initiated by a study that identified too much commercially zoned land through out the City which, is believed to have an adverse effect on commercial vibrancy in many communities.

Last edited by urbanpln; Sep 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 1:46 PM

I just spent the past weekend at a friend's apartment up in this area of Chicago. Nice to see these photos of a pleasant area of the city!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
i love how chicago's far north side is so incredibly urban and dense, even in light of the distance and long transit times separating between it and the loop. but what is it with chicago and one-story buildings next to el stops?!?!
King, I'd say it's a lakefront sort of thing. Yes, our downtown core is what people think of when they think of Chicago density. But the lakefront north and, to a degree, south of the downtown area are heavy high rise zones.

Going north, there really is no break in the wall of high rises clear up to Devon Avenue, where Rogers Park starts. Thus, areas like Edgewater (directly south of Rogers Park) are lined with lakefront high rises with the high rise extending somewhat inland as well.
If you go inland from far north side lakefront neighborhoods like Edgewater and Hyde Park into places like West Rogers Park, Peterson Park, Hollywood Park, etc., you won't find such density....more a mix of 2 and 3 story apartment buildings and homes.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 3:00 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great shots!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 4:21 PM

Quote:
32 minutes from Loyola Red Line to 1 N State is a long commute?
Note the large condo/mixed use building behind the red line. That is what will be happening to the north side (picture taken from size) once Loyola gets full control of the lots north of the "L".

Photos from 3600 N Sheridan looking North:

5700 N Sheridan looking North:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 7:47 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Wonderful shots!

Thank you very much, Chicago3rd!

We miss Chicago. Just one year ago we stayed 6 nights there, and we got in loved with Chicago.

Your pictures are really nice. We´ve liked to watch so many flowers, grass, trees, that beautiful church, the beach...

Fantastic pictures!

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 7:22 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Great photos of such a grand urban city and those really nice beaches.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 6:03 AM

This side of the building has solar panels.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 6:28 PM
not cleavefied

no complaints here! thanks for sharing an area of the city I usually never come near to.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 7:37 PM

Good stuff! And why would anyone in Chicago of all places be a NIMBY about buildings over a story tall? Hello, you live in Chicago, remember?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 2:42 AM

Great thread

And good riddance to Damen Hall at Loyola!

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos