HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 12:05 AM

lol Houston's got plenty of highways and wide roads, also a light rail system.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 12:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
lol Houston's got plenty of highways and wide roads, also a light rail system.
Their light rail system is a joke. And you can't park you car on the highway. Where are the 12,000 cars going to go downtown?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 12:37 AM

Underground parking.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 12:48 AM
Never Dell

Downtown Houston can fit multiples of the Exxon HQ with ease. Yes they'd build some multiple of the parking that an urban city would, but it's clearly possible.

Wikipedia says it's 3,000,000 sf. That could be two towers in addition to parking for 10,000 workers (or room for 12,000-15,000). 10,000 parking spaces could be about 6.5 acres at 10 stories. The whole complex could easily fit in 10 acres.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 12:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Underground parking.
Underground parking has got to cost like 20x as much as a surface lot..

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:05 AM
BANNED

Downtowns in most cities are becoming niche luxury high rise residential districts with government, banks and courts and hub and spoke transit systems that serve very few people in the metro area. Most cities aren't developing massive amounts of high rise office space. Much of that remains in low slung, suburban office parks, near a freeway or airport.

Why would Exxon locate downtown? Why would they want their employees ride on a slow, inconvenient light rail system?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post

Do people want suburbs? Sure, a lot do. But surveys and actions tend to look very different in cities with successful cores. People pay big premiums to live in those, on even on the edges of cities that have those. Often they live as close-in as they can. And when visitors come they don't go to the mall, but to the center.
The top 50 cities in America, represent just 15% of the overall population and of that 15%, very few people live in or near the core.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Why would Exxon locate downtown? Why would they want their employees ride on a slow, inconvenient light rail system?
Why would Exxon locate inconveniently in the middle of nowhere? Why wouldn't they want their employees to have the option to live closer to work and use public transit?

The market for suburban office space in most metros not in the sunbelt is pretty stagnant right now with little new construction, the majority of proposed new office space I see in most northern cities is usually in the downtown core.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Why would Exxon locate inconveniently in the middle of nowhere? Why wouldn't they want their employees to have the option to live closer to work and use public transit?
I don't know, but they did. It probably had to do with it being a better decision for the long term vitality of the business [something government institutions never have to consider].

Very few people live and work in a downtown. Most downtowns are far from being the largest employment district, especially after you subtract local, county, state, federal government jobs.

Quote:
The market for suburban office space in most metros not in the sunbelt is pretty stagnant right now with little new construction, the majority of proposed new office space I see in most northern cities is usually in the downtown core.
Downtown Detroit represents a fraction of the total share of jobs and residents of Greater Detroit. I'm not picking on Detroit, this is the reality of most cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Downtown Detroit hosts over 92,000 workers which make up about one-fifth of the city's total employment base; in addition, it is home to about 5,300 residents.
4/5 Detroiters don't work in downtown Detroit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:41 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Underground parking has got to cost like 20x as much as a surface lot..
Until you consider land costs.

As for where people work, most downtowns are the single largest few square miles of offices for their regions by a large margin. In many cities (mine included) they're the dominant office district even if the suburban areas get to count tens of square miles. Like the urban core will be 40% of the region's total, and suburban subarea will be 20% for example.

In some regions, mine included, greater Downtown is also where most of the office construction is located in this decade.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's not really, "the middle of nowhere". It's at the intersection of two massive highways.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Downtown Detroit represents a fraction of the total share of jobs and residents of Greater Detroit. I'm not picking on Detroit, this is the reality of most cities.
4/5 Detroiters don't work in downtown Detroit.
You picked a really bad example to try to reinforce your point since all new major office space in metro Detroit is proposed downtown, vacancy rates for office space are also very low. Space in Detroit's suburban office centers are stagnant and the overwhelming trend is for companies to move away from exurbia like Novi and instead into the central city.

Also, Ford mostly scrapped their suburban mega-campus plans in favor of investing nearly a billion dollars in Corktown and the train station precisely because they knew it would help them attract more talent. So at least one of the world's largest companies recognized the value of urban space... and apparently so do many others.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You picked a really bad example to try to reinforce your point since all new major office space in metro Detroit is proposed downtown, vacancy rates for office space are also very low. Space in Detroit's suburban office centers are stagnant and the overwhelming trend is for companies to move away from exurbia like Novi and instead into the central city.

Also, Ford mostly scrapped their suburban mega-campus plans in favor investing nearly a billion dollars in Corktown and the train station precisely because they knew it would help them attract more talent. So at least one of the world's largest companies recognized the value of urban space... and apparently so do many others.
That's great for Detroit and I don't doubt that.

The reality remains though. Downtowns represent a fraction of the jobs in a city and even more so in the metropolitan region.

What works for some, doesn't work for all. I can understand this, while some on SSP cannot.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:22 AM

Quote:
That's great for Detroit and I don't doubt that.

The reality remains though. Downtowns represent a fraction of the jobs in a city and even more so in the metropolitan region.

What works for some, doesn't work for all. I can understand this, while some on SSP cannot.
This point is irrelevant... everyone knows suburbs soaked up massive chunks of jobs and companies to sprawl out. What's happening now is that suburban office centers are no longer seen as hot commodities and they're no longer attractive, so any company who's still spending billions on dated suburban office palaces are behind the times and still practicing irresponsible urban planning. A huge company like Exxon locating in exurbia has a huge impact on amplifying sprawl, just look at all the new awful development being built around it. There is no good reason why Exxon couldn't have built a tower in downtown Houston.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:31 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Ok, but why should we artificially try and keep the city center as the focus when there seems to be a clear preference for the suburbs? Let the cities grow organically, don't try and put a square peg in a round hole just because of some outdated notion of a single city center.
In this era of needed emphasis on efficiency, rebuilding infrastructure somewhere else, particularly infrastructure that has required , and continues to require, the most inefficient form of transportation on a population level is absurdly foolish. Cities have infrastructure that taxpayers spent billions building. It would be really myopic to abandon that. So it's not really putting a square peg anywhere a square peg doesn't already belong.

Besides "organically," doesn't really exist. Cities are either planned or they are chaos. Since planning is a requirement, planners may as well provide something that is efficient for energy, efficient for travel flexibility, efficient for space, and built to last. Many late 20th century suburbs meet none of those ideals.

Now, in new cities, they should still keep an eye on efficiency, but should also look at what people *actually* want. Most people don't want to live downtown, but I suspect a great many people would enjoy living in any of Chicago's moderately-dense North Side neighborhoods that have a nice mix of transit, walkability, and drivability. Recreating that in a new city might be difficult, but if starting truly new it should be easier than retrofiting a cul-de-sac neighborhood to that spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
people also seem to generally prefer to be in the suburbs of something, they desire that context. i've had this conversation a million times. in fact it seems even most people who have historical ties to an urban core would in fact prefer a situation more urban than they are in, wherever that may fall on the continuum. theres a great nostalgia for the city as a kind of geographical soul, at least in the midwest.
Exactly. If people actually prefer a suburb, there needs to be an "urb" or they simply end up being in a sub. Nobody wants to actually live in a sub, isolated from the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
What? There are offices in the suburbs? No way. That's crazy. I had no idea.
I know you're being snarky, but I honestly don't understand people who prefer suburban office parks if given an honest choice. Sure, I get wanting a short commute if you happen to live by one, or if the best-paid jobs are all in them. But if given a direct, all things equal choice, I don't get preferring an office park. Even if you take a lunch 80% of the time, most office parks I've worked in have had very limited lunch options for that other 20%. And unless you happen to live very close, you can only realistically drive - I know most parks do have some commuter transit, but I know of very few that don't suck in that regard - and for good reason, you can't realistically provide excellent transit to a broad, low-density area. Centralization and/or density enable all sorts of conveniences.

Quote:
Poor Chicago and Toronto, the worst offenders.
The South Lakefront, south of Roosevelt Road until around 51st is quite bad because South Lake Shore Drive is even more expressway-like than the North Side, and the Field Museum, Soldier Field, and McCormick Place all either block lakefront access completely or obstruct it. And then there are the Metra Electric tracks in addition. Once past the Drive and the ME Tracks, the actual park on the lakefront is quite nice, though. And there is the unbroken jogging/biking path between Hollywood on the North Side (about 5800 North) and 71st Street (7100 South) on the South Side. Parts of it are jogger/biker separated, too, and the entire length is well-utilized and popular. And you can continue north and south from the main part via bike lanes on surface streets. You can ride a bike from Chicago's northern neighbor, Evanston, all the way to Chicago's southeast neighbor, Hammond, Indiana. I've ridden the entire length multiple times. The entire ride is 26 miles. The part on dedicated lakefront path is 18 miles. That's not bad by any measure.

And the rest of Chicago's Lakefront is actually quite nice. South of 51st there's good access most of the way except for the old US Steel area. North of Roosevelt varies from wonderful to acceptable, but much of it is easy to get to and nice to use. There is access averaging less than 1/2 mile apart, frequently with transit access, sometime buffered with parkland. There are a few dedicated pedestrian tunnels, and the rest are multi-use underpasses. All are well-used and much less intimidating that Toronto's setup.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 4:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
In this era of needed emphasis on efficiency, rebuilding infrastructure somewhere else, particularly infrastructure that has required , and continues to require, the most inefficient form of transportation on a population level is absurdly foolish. Cities have infrastructure that taxpayers spent billions building. It would be really myopic to abandon that. So it's not really putting a square peg anywhere a square peg doesn't already belong.
Not sure if you've checked it out, but the city that this article is talking about (Oberhausen) doesn't exactly look like it's got Billions of dollars of urban infrastructure invested in it.

As for efficiency; that's a totally lost cause at this point. The average US home is twice as big as it was back in the 1950s and getting bigger. Clearly there is little desire for an efficient lifestyle.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 12:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This point is irrelevant... everyone knows suburbs soaked up massive chunks of jobs and companies to sprawl out. What's happening now is that suburban office centers are no longer seen as hot commodities and they're no longer attractive, so any company who's still spending billions on dated suburban office palaces are behind the times and still practicing irresponsible urban planning.
Do you have a source? Or is this your opinion?
Here's a list of Fortune 500 companies and their locations:
https://www.geolounge.com/fortune-50...tate-for-2015/

Walmart, Exxon, Chevron, BerkshireHathaway, Apple, Phillips66, General Electric, McKesson [sold it's SF headquarters directly because of insane rents], Valero, United Health Group, AmeriSourceBergen, CostCo, HP, IBM, Marathon, Cardinal Health, Microsoft, HomeDepot, Archer Daniels Midland, Walgreens, Johnson & Johnson, Google, State Farm, FreddieMac, PepsiCo, United Technologies, UPS, Dow Chemical, Aetna, Lowes and so on...are all in suburban locations, and some fancy downtown tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One
A huge company like Exxon locating in exurbia has a huge impact on amplifying sprawl, just look at all the new awful development being built around it. There is no good reason why Exxon couldn't have built a tower in downtown Houston.

Sprawl is here to stay. Suburban growth is here to stay. We have 330 million people today and will have over 400 million in a couple decades. 70 million people are going to have to find a place to live and it probably won't be in a downtown. -- In total, the top 50 cities in America have a combined population of 50 million and that includes suburban/urban boomburgs like Mesa, Arlington, Long Beach. 70 million more people and we will likely see continued suburban residential, commercial, industrial growth.

Exxon could have built in downtown Houston, but they chose not to for their best interests, just like many other companies have chosen not to build some fancy new tower in some downtown.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:12 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Yup, if you don't know it's there you'd never even realize it.

Note that before there were NO pedestrian crossings of the road, and the traffic was extremely heavy, whereas now there are pedestrian crossings at pretty much every cross street and the road is much narrower, with much less traffic (basically local only, all the through traffic is underground).
in retrospect, it felt like a nice piece of urban planning, and it was very pleasant to sit on top of a hotel and have drinks, observing the setting. i can see where all of those extra lanes would have really put a damper on that.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Walmart, Exxon, Chevron, BerkshireHathaway, Apple, Phillips66, General Electric, McKesson [sold it's SF headquarters directly because of insane rents], Valero, United Health Group, AmeriSourceBergen, CostCo, HP, IBM, Marathon, Cardinal Health, Microsoft, HomeDepot, Archer Daniels Midland, Walgreens, Johnson & Johnson, Google, State Farm, FreddieMac, PepsiCo, United Technologies, UPS, Dow Chemical, Aetna, Lowes and so on...are all in suburban locations, and some fancy downtown tower.
There are a ton of suburban HQ in the U.S., but many of these shouldn't be included. GE is HQ in downtown Boston, J&J is in downtown New Brunswick (which is a "suburb" of NYC like Newark is a suburb), Aetna's executive HQ is in Manhattan and their official HQ is in downtown Hartford. Berkshire Hathaway is HQ in downtown Omaha.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:26 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

executive suites seem to be gravitating towards urban locations, like the rumored move of a-b north america to manhattan, while the rest of the office stays in st. louis (although the a-b offices in st. louis are "urban" and people can walk to lots of restaurants at lunch its a suburban style campus inside the brewery grounds). this has already happened with marketing.

boeing did the same thing when picking the chicago loop, the executive suite didn't want to be in an office park by the airport in st. louis like mcdonnell-douglas was, and they had their own internal reasons for not picking seattle. lower level mgmt remains in the suburban campuses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions