HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
How likely is Foster's 2WTC to come back? That was such an incredible building.

I hate how the designs of all the WTC towers ended up looking nothing like proposed, a real shame.
I'd say it's less than a 50/50 chance at this point in time. It's more likely Silverstein would go with BIG's or start over again using what is already built. Foster's design is a generation old. I believe next year will mark 14 years, which would have been before most millenials entered the workforce. BIG's design is a millenial design, much more inhabitant-friendly.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:37 AM
Paramoderator

The big one for Los Angeles is obviously Park Fifth. The replacement tower for this is just now finishing up, but at only twenty stories, pales in comparison.

Then there are the various mass transit projects that never were.

There is the original plan for the Grand Avenue Project, which is just now beginning construction in a much watered down form.

And various mid century proposals that never entered the construction phase.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:55 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Detroit

Fisher Building: Only the east tower (right) was built and with a modified design.

Woodward Avenue & Downtown Loop subway (1915)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 1:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I agree with you on the 1913 subway plan and Mandeville Place for Philadelphia. I'd also have to include Bridgeman's View - what was it, 900+ feet? And I can't forget that beautiful 900 foot office building proposed for 17th and Vine.

But my top pick would HAVE to be the twin towers planned for 8th and Market for CoreStates. It my fantasy world, the bank would not have sold itself to an outside entity, Philly would have retained their corporate presence and all those jobs, East Market would be a viable business district, and we wouldn't have to a giant, ugly surface lot at this intersection for the last few decades. Any architectural/skyline improvements are second to all of this (I'm not even a fan of twin towers).

Honorable mention goes to the generically named Center City Tower, proposed by Kling. It was supposed to be 75 stories and over 1,000 feet and was to house Comcast where the Residences at the Ritz Carlton stands alongside the still under construction W/Element Hotel. I'd rather have two buildings than one, but damn, I always loved that design (and yes, I like it even better than Comcast's new buildings).
All good suggestions for Philly, but I'm going to add one more: the World Trade Center tower that was proposed just after 1LP was completed in the late 1980s. It was going to be located just north of the Ben Franklin Bridge, 65 stories and over 1000 feet. I can't find an image of it anywhere, but there was going to be a giant communications globe at the top. It was going to be part of a complex of 3 or 4 buildings that included resi and hotels also. Would really have revitalized the waterfront.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:03 PM

Ok, in that prior StL post, wtf is that old man river thing?

I agree with Steely's list for Chicago.. I regularly play the mental nerd game of if I could pick up 7 S. Dearborn today and put it down anywhere I want in the skyline, where does it go..

Current pick is somewhere NW, which I know I know, does not make economic sense in terms of an office tower that large being that far from suburban commuter trains blah blah blah

BUT IT'S MY GAME

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 8:32 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

1. Queen Street Subway: It was first proposed in 1911, and we've been talking about it ever since. The closest it's come to fruition was as part of original Toronto's 1940s subway plan (which saw the construction of the Yonge Line). This one would have been an underground streetcar line, emerging to the street further out (which, while not ideal is sure better than our current nothing).

3. Eaton's College Park Tower: What would have been an imposing, 200m+ skyscraper above an enormous department store was also killed by the Depression. Only one quarter of the proposed podium was ultimately built, and that alone is quite grand: https://www.blogto.com/upload/2013/0...ollegePark.jpg

3. Vimy Circle: Cancelled due to the Depression.

4. Harbour City: a futuristic "floating" city of the 1960s, that would have housed 60,000 people on the Islands. It had the backing of planners and urbanists like Jane Jacobs, but was killed by the newly elected provincial government.

5. GO-ALRT: A 1980s proposal for high-speed automated commuter trains to replace the diesel trains of the Lakeshore line that stretches from Hamilton to Oshawa, plus another branch to connect the airport and suburban city centres. It was cancelled due to government budget cuts - and now 40 years later we're only just now getting back to upgrading to higher-frequency, electrified regional commuter rail service.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 8:56 PM

I would ditch all development plans that do not involve subway or light rail construction.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 3:56 AM

1. 7 South Dearborn
https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...h-dearborn/139

2. Waldorf Astoria
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=528568

3. Zaha Hadid 400 LSD Towers
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/477100154267499814/

4. Chicago Spire (We'll find somewhere else for it)

5. Jahn's Thompson Center Supertall
https://skyrisecities.com/news/2018/...hompson-center

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 10:47 AM

In Portland I can think of only one. From 1978, the C.A. Bright Tower which I believe was to be on the bus mall on 5th Ave. Supposedly the money man behind it died shortly before construction was to commence. It would had been a great set for a Jetson’s movie.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 5:39 PM
Never Dell

So every level gets a separate elevator, if I get the image right? What an incredibly wasteful concept. More money, less rentable space....and worse elevator service...if someone just left your floor, you have to wait for that one to come back vs. having a couple others that could get to you sooner.

Looking at this site, it's a wonder anyone considered it. Maybe just a pet project? It looks incredibly expensive, vs. a fairly minimal floor area vs. its massing. http://www.oshatz.com/text/brighttower.htm

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 6:59 PM

As far as missed skyscrapers for Toronto, I am partial to this Eaton Centre complex proposed in 1967, though part of Old City Hall would have been demolished, which was a non-starter:

In 1971, the Maryon Tower, which would have been the world's tallest building for decades, was proposed. Its roof height would have been 1,600', but with the spire it was 2,200'. I don't know if I would have saved it, but it would have been spectacular.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 6:43 AM

Atlanta.

4. (Calatrava designed symphony hall)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
Atlanta.

4. (Calatrava designed symphony hall)
Calatrava must be a one trick pony. This looks almost exactly like Oculus at the WTC.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 7:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I'm sure a lot of cancelled projects wind up recycled in different cities as new projects. Helmut Jahn took Houston's proposed Bank of the Southwest Tower to Philly

Then there's Gehry who builds the exact same thing for each project.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Calatrava must be a one trick pony. This looks almost exactly like Oculus at the WTC.
Yeah, the aquarium he designed in Valencia also looks nearly identical.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Reused the design after it was canceled in Atlanta. This was supposed to be built around 15 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 11:55 PM

Phoenix

1. For shits and giggles, the infamous Georges Schriqui tower that would have been the tallest in the world at the time--1700 feet, 114 stories, and () 20,000 parking spaces. Never really a serious proposal I don't think, but would have been something to see it sticking up above Phoenix.

2. As with others, Phoenix's lost transit proposal. ValTrans would have built 100+ miles of elevated rail, with the main line basically exactly where the current light rail line is. Sadly voted down by voters.

https://northphoenixblog.blogspot.co...-its-time.html

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:22 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Yeah, the aquarium he designed in Valencia also looks nearly identical.
Also his Gare de Lyon Saint-Exupéry train station in France. Starchitecture is terrible.

via mhbs on flickr

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:35 AM

Quote:
He is, him and Gehry always shit out the same garbage.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 6:41 AM
Never Dell

Placemaking is important, but part of me says that's the very opposite of sustainable (absurd amounts of material use for starters) and probably several times the necessary cost for that central area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions