HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
Then ask me this question how do they maintain the CN Tower's random? they can easy do the same enough of the excuses.
The original WTC, Sears Tower, CN tower.... all were designed as smooth metal, ridged enclosures. You can scale them. A human can come into contact with them. Workers can connect safety straps to them. The surfaces are strong and constructed of steel "barrels" stacked on top of each other.

The radome of 1WTC was a collection of 2.5" thick multi-angled decorative fiberglass-covered foam panels, affixed to the steel mast underneath. They are simply a decorative covering. You can't attach anything to them. You can't scale them. etc.

The mast structure itself was already finalized when the decision was made to ditch the radome. Yes, they COULD have made it a smooth mast like those other buildings but that would have required a complete redesign of the entire structure.

Look at these workers building the original WTC antenna:

Last edited by jmatero; Mar 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:07 PM

The communication platform ring is going up !!!!!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:14 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:16 PM

'Google Now' has one World Trade Center on there homepage (Far left):

Google now: http://www.google.com/landing/now/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:21 PM

^ I'm pretty sure thats The Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ca_full_CA.jpg

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
'Google Now' has one World Trade Center on there homepage (Far left):
Lulwut. I'm not being funny, they don't look the same at all. That was instantly recognisable as San Francisco even if you're not an american. Golden gate bridge?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
I'd imagine the radome pieces are small enough to transport inside the elevators.
When I sent an email to the Durst Organization when they decided to remove the radome, I was told that the pieces would have to be hoisted from the plaza below as they were to big to fit in the elevators.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:59 PM

Updated Base Progress:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 9:35 PM

1 WTC by drken10003, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:10 PM
Bostonian

Is that a portion of the communications ring on the right side of the tower in that last photo?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:53 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
The original WTC, Sears Tower, CN tower.... all were designed as smooth metal, ridged enclosures. You can scale them. A human can come into contact with them. Workers can connect safety straps to them. The surfaces are strong and constructed of steel "barrels" stacked on top of each other.

The radome of 1WTC was a collection of 2.5" thick multi-angled decorative fiberglass-covered foam panels, affixed to the steel mast underneath. They are simply a decorative covering. You can't attach anything to them. You can't scale them. etc.

The mast structure itself was already finalized when the decision was made to ditch the radome. Yes, they COULD have made it a smooth mast like those other buildings but that would have required a complete redesign of the entire structure.

Look at these workers building the original WTC antenna:

Even if 'cleaning' were the issue with the radome and not 'aesthetics' as they're now claiming it's not as if this is the 20th century. Getting a squeegee to clean things out of reach isn't an issue anymore. We do have materials NOW that clean themselves. They could have just made the radome out of those materials if cleaning were an issue. Article about self cleaning patio furniture:

http://news.discovery.com/tech/lawn-...elf-120703.htm

I like the mast as it is now though. I actually got all my wishes for the new building to come true: a radomeless mast, and a squared off base. Both came true!

PS: love that pic of the original's antenna construction.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 11:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post

I like the mast as it is now though. I actually got all my wishes for the new building to come true: a radomeless mast, and a squared off base. Both came true!

*sigh* i just cannot tell if people are joking or serious about this anymore. *throws hands up*.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 11:22 PM
Editor

An older pic, but a nice angle.

P1000245 by taigatrommelchen, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 11:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
The design of the spire structure itself hasn't changed as you can clearly see in the left image in this picture from years ago:

The only thing that has changed is that the fiberglass covering was ditched.
I don't know what you're talking about. We've already said that the design of the antenna has been the same. Unless you can't see clearly, there is no way you can say that the design of the spire is the same without the radome. The radome itself was the design. The radome is what replaced the open lattice spire, and you can clearly see the design of the radome in the renderings, and again in the drawing below. The antenna beneath was never intended to be seen.

http://archrecord.construction.com/p...ade-center.asp

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 11:52 PM

They could have kept the randome enclosure, and use material that would allow maintenance workers to work from within the enclosure. A construction elevator / stairs (similar to the Stature of Liberty) would have been an interesting way to incorporate into this spire. I think with the enclosure, the new spire would be thicker in diameter compared to the spire of the former North Tower.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 11:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Earlier today...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
Updated Base Progress:

Hey this is a great graphic, thanks for sharing, and please keep updating periodically. It's useful to see all sides at once.

...as for that other thing above, maybe it's because I'm from the Bay Area, but I really don't know how you mix up One World Trade and the Transamerica Pyramid. But, and it definitely is because I'm from the Bay Area, I am going to hang onto that illustration.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 1:28 AM

Communications ring

The curve of the ring is now visible just above the roofline according to earth cam.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Hey this is a great graphic, thanks for sharing, and please keep updating periodically. It's useful to see all sides at once.

...as for that other thing above, maybe it's because I'm from the Bay Area, but I really don't know how you mix up One World Trade and the Transamerica Pyramid. But, and it definitely is because I'm from the Bay Area, I am going to hang onto that illustration.
Thanks! It will be a bit more difficult to update with KPITV now shut down, but I will still try it!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 4:05 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I thought they used a helicopter for the top parts of CN Tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive