HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 3:37 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Brooklyn Paper

Ridge Republican vows to kill parking permits for Barclays neighbors

Quote:
A controversial plan to sell street parking permits to residents near the Barclays Center arena has already broke down in the pothole of the Republican-controlled state Senate days after the City Council approved the proposal.

“This law is dead on arrival in Albany,” said an Albany source with firsthand knowledge of the GOP leadership’s discussion of the so-called “residential parking permit” proposal, which passed the City Council on Nov. 3.

The main roadblock is state Sen. Marty Golden (R–Bay Ridge), who believes that charging for street parking is wrong.........
I don't really care about the subject of parking of all subjects, and nor do I live NEXT, next to the Barclays Center, but why are people arguing about free parking when their property value is going to skyrocket because of this arena. Businesses are going to be booming after some 20,000 people finish attending a concert or show or just in general. This arena is going to change Brooklyn in a big way. All major venues or arenas, stadiums etc. DON'T have free parking at the door step, so why should it be any different here.

Last edited by THE BIG APPLE; Nov 12, 2011 at 3:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 1:01 AM

Quote:
The idea that someone would have to pay to park in front of their own home is ludicrous
WTF, it costs $3.50/hour to park in front of my own building. I have to pay it when I drop off groceries to my own doorstep. Get used to it, it's not that big of a deal.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
...their property value is going to skyrocket because of this arena. Businesses are going to be booming after some 20,000 people finish attending a concert or show or just in general. This arena is going to change Brooklyn in a big way.
I totally disagree. New sports bars on Flatbush will do an okay business, but that's about it. What is the area around MSG like? A craphole.

And as far as residential property rising because of the arena, I have two things to say about that:

1. residential properties in the immediate vicinity of the arena are LOSING value because no one wants to live across the street from an arena (truck traffic, trash, noise, periodic drunken fans rampaging through the streets, etc).

2. The main economic impact for the area will be from the new residents of the apartment buildings to be built someday on the site. New residents will indeed bring new customers to already vibrant shopping streets, such as Vanderbilt and Fifth Avenue, and that's definitely a good thing. Unfortunately, because the land was turned over to a single developer (who has no incentive to build quickly and glut the market), that development is likely to take a long time, putting any economic impact many years into the future. Look at the development of Riverside South which started construction in the late nineties and still isn't fully built out, despite the real estate boom.

All in all, this isn't a terrible location for an arena, and personally, I'm excited about the architecture of the building, but to say that "this is going to change Brooklyn in a big way" is just drinking the marketing koolaid. This is going to make a lot of money for Ratner and Prokhorov, possibly make a small net increase in sales taxes for the city and make a better venue for the rest of us to see a concert, but that's about it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNBKLYN View Post
I totally disagree. New sports bars on Flatbush will do an okay business, but that's about it. What is the area around MSG like? A craphole.

And as far as residential property rising because of the arena, I have two things to say about that:

1. residential properties in the immediate vicinity of the arena are LOSING value because no one wants to live across the street from an arena (truck traffic, trash, noise, periodic drunken fans rampaging through the streets, etc).

2. The main economic impact for the area will be from the new residents of the apartment buildings to be built someday on the site. New residents will indeed bring new customers to already vibrant shopping streets, such as Vanderbilt and Fifth Avenue, and that's definitely a good thing. Unfortunately, because the land was turned over to a single developer (who has no incentive to build quickly and glut the market), that development is likely to take a long time, putting any economic impact many years into the future. Look at the development of Riverside South which started construction in the late nineties and still isn't fully built out, despite the real estate boom.

All in all, this isn't a terrible location for an arena, and personally, I'm excited about the architecture of the building, but to say that "this is going to change Brooklyn in a big way" is just drinking the marketing koolaid. This is going to make a lot of money for Ratner and Prokhorov, possibly make a small net increase in sales taxes for the city and make a better venue for the rest of us to see a concert, but that's about it.
You can keep the drunk fans out of the residential neighborhoods with permit parking. Nobody will have any reason to go down the residential streets and will stick to bars, restaurants, and retail avenues in the area. This is how it works with stadiums in residential areas.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNBKLYN View Post
I totally disagree. What is the area around MSG like? A craphole.
The area around MSG has some of the highest property values on the planet. It also has, by far, the highest pedestrian counts in the U.S.

If that section of Midtown is "a craphole" in terms of economic value, I'd hate to think what you think about other urban neighborhoods.

Now, granted, MSG has almost nothing to do with the neighborhood's value. But the statement, on it's face, makes no sense.

Your other comments are almost as ridiculous.

Why would properties lose value due to construction of Barclays Center? The arena is replacing a giant vacant lot. How could a huge mixed-use development of highrises and density hurt property values relative to a giant dead zone of rail yards and empty buildings?

And why would the designation of a single developer hurt the development pace at Atlantic Yards? How would dividing up the site with a milllion property owners make development easier and faster? That's completely nonsensical.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
You can keep the drunk fans out of the residential neighborhoods with permit parking. Nobody will have any reason to go down the residential streets and will stick to bars, restaurants, and retail avenues in the area. This is how it works with stadiums in residential areas.
The permit parking would be a good idea, IMO, but it probably won't influence driving patterns for Atlantic Yards.

Almost no one traveling to Atlantic Yards is going to use on-street parking. There's very litle on-street parking in that area, and it's almost always a parking nightmare. There just isn't that much legal street parking around there anyways, and, because it isn't metered on the residential sidestreets, there's little turnover.

Those who do choose to drive to the arena will likely use neighborhood garages. Given the location, however, I don't think the proportion of visitors arriving by car will be very high. It will probably be lower than any other U.S. arena, possibly excepting MSG.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:10 PM
New Yorker for life

This arena will be right on par with Madison Square Garden (which sits over Penn Station) when it comes to public transit options. That alone says a lot.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:38 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ticle-1.976788

NBA lockout aside, Nets working hard to sell New York on next season's team, Barclays Center & Brooklyn
Ready to roll out massive new mobile sales machine; luxury suites are already half-gone

BY Larry Mcshane
November 12 2011

Quote:
For fans seeking season tickets to next year’s debut in the Barclays Center, the Brooklyn-bound club started dishing out seats five months ago.

The results have been better than the ill-fated marriage of forward Kris Humphries and Kim Kardashian: About 50% of their 100 suites — average price $250,000 — are already sold, the team said.

And season ticket sales for the 4,400 best seats in the new Brooklyn arena are about 15% ahead of expectations — with per-game costs ranging from $99 to $1,500. "The community is reaching out for the best seats,” said Fred Mangione, the team’s chief marketing officer. “We’re pretty happy.”

On Tuesday, the Nets roll out their latest fan-friendly attraction: “The Experience,” a state-of-the-art, interactive, souped-up and hooped-up mobile marketing tool.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The area around MSG has some of the highest property values on the planet. It also has, by far, the highest pedestrian counts in the U.S.
The pedestrians are for Penn Station and the retail corridor anchored by Macy's and have nothing to do with MSG. Anywhere in New York City can be counted as having the highest property values on the planet, but this particular slice of New York performs much worse in all respects than comparable areas such as the rest of Midtown. Office rents are lower than further north and retail immediately surrounding MSG is a joke (TGI Friday's?). Everyone gets in and gets out of MSG as fast as possible.

Quote:
Why would properties lose value due to construction of Barclays Center? The arena is replacing a giant vacant lot. How could a huge mixed-use development of highrises and density hurt property values relative to a giant dead zone of rail yards and empty buildings?
Half of the land the arena now sits on was full of buildings, many of them being renovated and creating their own economic benefits for the city, but without subsidies. The "development" of Atlantic Yards has so far resulted in a net loss of tax paying residents and businesses as the blocks between Pacific and Dean have been razed. And with the exception of the arena itself, those blocks are likely to stay vacant for a long time - hurting the surrounding neighborhood.

Quote:
And why would the designation of a single developer hurt the development pace at Atlantic Yards? How would dividing up the site with a milllion property owners make development easier and faster? That's completely nonsensical.
As I said before, single developers are in no hurry to build so that they don't glut their own market and drive prices down. Many individual developers might want to collude to also maintain prices, but it's close to impossible to keep everyone in agreement to not build. Smaller developers also tend to have less capital that would allow them to hold properties for long periods of time without developing them.

And as I said before, overall this arena development isn't the worst thing that could have been put here, but to claim that it will shower the neighborhood with riches is to not look at how other arenas, even MSG, affect their surroundings.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 5:26 AM
New Yorker for life

This arena is going to be one of the best things to happen to Brooklyn in decades. As for the residential development, it can't be any worse to look at than an open railyard in the middle of the city.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 10:47 PM
Khurram Parvaz

The Hudson Yards which in my opinion is a bigger development than the new WTC is being built on top of train tracks. This is being built on top of train tracks. The similarity IS both are doing big business and revitilizing the neighboring neighborhood. So how is this possibly going to DECREASE the property value of any home, when prior to this there were noisy train tracks. This has one upside that Hudson Yards doesn't have or need, and it's what we're all talking about right now a sports arena, which could accomidate 18,000-20,000 people for various events. Now tell me how any property will NOT benefit from this. I personally am happy that I could finally attend wrestling events in Brooklyn, and not Manhattan and I don't even live that close to the arena. This will change Brooklyn, and do big business for Brooklyn, PERIOD!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 3:08 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

This arena will be great for Brooklyn, and alot of people seem to forget Brooklyn is considered NEW YORK CITY....
NY YANKEES BRONX
NY METS QUEENS
THEY could have been called the NY NETS but Brooklyn will be a great name and they will be always from NYC

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 10:55 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY Post

Ratner unveils rendering of Atlantic Yards residential towers
By AMEBR SUTHERLAND, RICH CALDER and CATHY BURKE
Last Updated: 2:53 PM, November 17, 2011

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...1lHgY5hw6kDsOM

Quote:
It’s fab ... pre-fab that is.

A rendering of the first of three Atlantic Yards residential towers was unveiled this morning -- a honeycomb-looking behemoth that would be the world’s largest pre-fabricated “modular “ building .

Developer Bruce Ratner showed off the quirky overview of the project that he wants to build next to his Barclays Center arena at the corner of Dean Street and Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn.

Ratner said if financing is secured -- it has not been so far -- groundbreaking for the first tower could start next spring, and be comprised of 350 units.

The building — at 32-stories high, the largest in the project -- is intended to go up like a huge Lego project , floor-by-floor, with each floor comprised of “pods” that will be built off site and then lifted in place and bolted together.

The first building is planned to be 130 studios, 180 one-bedrooms and 40 two-bedroom units. It’ll feature a 24-hour doorman, fitness center, bicycle storage, resident lounge and roof terrace, and washer and drier in every unit.
If the entire project of 16 towers is completed it will offer 6,430 units of housing.

The residences are envisioned to be a Lego’s-throw away from Barclays Center, the new arena of the Nets basketball team scheduled to open next September.

Copyright 2011 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 11:28 PM
BROOKLYN

If the season doesn't happen then I guess this will have plenty of time to finish.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 12:30 AM
BANNED

Hopefully those towers will have an exciting retail/restaurant/bar/entertainment podium at their base. Something like Toronto's Maple Leaf Square with it's 50,000 square foot sports bar, large sporting apparel stores, and 48,000 square foot supermarket. There have been cries for a large, full-service supermarket in downtown Brooklyn for years. Why not put it in there?

If it doesn't offer such things of interest to visitors/arena patrons, it really would be a massive waste of potential.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
There have been cries for a large, full-service supermarket in downtown Brooklyn for years. Why not put it in there?
There's a giant Pathmark supermarket right next to Atlantic Yards. It's been there for a good 15 years (part of the Atlantic Terminal development). I wouldn't be surprised if it were the biggest supermarket in all of Brooklyn.

Maybe you're referring to Myrtle Avenue (about a mile north) where a developer closed the only local supermarket to build an apartment building? That made headlines a few years ago, but the developer eventually relocated the supermarket to the basement of the new building.

I agree there should be as much retail as possible at Atlantic Yards, but I don't think there's a supermarket shortage around these blocks. In addition to the Pathmark, you have Trader Joe's, Red Apple Supermarket, and a Whole Foods a few blocks south (still under construction). There's also lots of gourmet smaller places like Amish Market, Sahadi's, Brooklyn Fare, etc.

But I totally agree that retail and vibrant street level is key. I don't want towers in the park.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:50 PM
BANNED

I think that I was thinking about the articles about Toren. I guess that's quite a bit northwest of there. They should have something similar to Real Sports Bar and Grill though. But I don't know if that would be possible with "modular" buildings. It requires vast open spaces and very high ceilings. Maybe in the next phase of developments across the street?

photos courtesy torontocitygossip.com. This is within the podium of Maple Leaf Square, immediately adjacent to the Air Canada Centre's west side, literally a 10-15 second walk from the entrance to the ACC:

There probably wouldn't be a better place in Brooklyn for something like that.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 2:11 AM

Frankly, as a Park Slope resident, I don't think there is a down side to this development when it comes to the leafy side streets of brownstones. Fifth Avenue and Seventh Avenue are already packed to the gills with late night restaurants and bars, weekends rollick all the way down to the Prospect Expwy so there should be little change in those directions. If anything, some of the recently shuttered businesses (a few old school jewelry and appliance stores) will probably reopen in the same upscale vein as has occurred over the past decade, gastro pub style.

Fourth Avenue will probably be changed the most down towards Union, a divided four lane "boulevard" with plenty of parking and the potential to transform gas stations and vacant lots into housing with retail bases, exactly what it needs and was re-zoned for. Only a few of these bases are needed to create a sports bar/ post game club row to handle those wanting to revel in the wins and defeats. Plus that divided part of the avenue hosts a subway, win, win.

Flatbush NW from the arena has plenty of room, too, for bars and clubs bleeding into Fulton Mall and of course, Juniors. Juniors is already a late-night after club bastion so they must be thinking about expansion.

So I really don't think the Park Slope of quiet, brownstone literary couples has anything to fear. Sports fans will go where the nightlife is, most of them will be using the subway and nobody is proposing (nor would it be legal) opening bars and clubs in the basements of brownstones. The worst that might happen is a few weeks around the Nets making the playoffs and playing in the championship (lol). By the time that happens I'll bet most Slopers will be proud fans of the home team! Park Slope is becoming more diverse every day.

I know a slew of these Park Slope "literary" couples who are already anxious to get their hands on tiny "Brooklyn Nets" jerseys for their toddlers. Little, mixed race, first gen American fans of the Nets- who would have thunk?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 3:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymike View Post
Frankly, as a Park Slope resident, I don't think there is a down side to this development when it comes to the leafy side streets of brownstones. Fifth Avenue and Seventh Avenue are already packed to the gills with late night restaurants and bars, weekends rollick all the way down to the Prospect Expwy so there should be little change in those directions. If anything, some of the recently shuttered businesses (a few old school jewelry and appliance stores) will probably reopen in the same upscale vein as has occurred over the past decade, gastro pub style.

Fourth Avenue will probably be changed the most down towards Union, a divided four lane "boulevard" with plenty of parking and the potential to transform gas stations and vacant lots into housing with retail bases, exactly what it needs and was re-zoned for. Only a few of these bases are needed to create a sports bar/ post game club row to handle those wanting to revel in the wins and defeats. Plus that divided part of the avenue hosts a subway, win, win.

Flatbush NW from the arena has plenty of room, too, for bars and clubs bleeding into Fulton Mall and of course, Juniors. Juniors is already a late-night after club bastion so they must be thinking about expansion.

So I really don't think the Park Slope of quiet, brownstone literary couples has anything to fear. Sports fans will go where the nightlife is, most of them will be using the subway and nobody is proposing (nor would it be legal) opening bars and clubs in the basements of brownstones. The worst that might happen is a few weeks around the Nets making the playoffs and playing in the championship (lol). By the time that happens I'll bet most Slopers will be proud fans of the home team! Park Slope is becoming more diverse every day.

I know a slew of these Park Slope "literary" couples who are already anxious to get their hands on tiny "Brooklyn Nets" jerseys for their toddlers. Little, mixed race, first gen American fans of the Nets- who would have thunk?
Flatbush Avenue itself from about Livingston to 5th Avenue could use a lot of improvement, especially on the other side of the street from the arena.

PS, if you want to see someone getting arrested on Streetview, look on Flatbush Avenue between Livingston and Nevins just outside the subway exit.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 5:07 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...g29kOYytG4GcrM

Brooklyn ‘lands one’

Boxing champ Wladimir Klitschko (above) may fight at the future Barclays Center, where classical singer Andrea Bocelli will perform next year.

By RICH CALDER
December 2, 2011

Quote:
The World’s Most Famous Arena is getting a run for its money.

Renowned Italian classical vocalist Andrea Bocelli will shun Madison Square Garden next holiday season to perform instead at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn, The Post has learned.

“It’s always a pleasure for me to play in New York, but I’m particularly excited to perform in Brooklyn for what will be my only 2012 performance in the city that has given me such affection,” Bocelli, known as “The Fourth Tenor,” said yesterday in a statement.

Bocelli had played nine straight holiday shows at the Garden, but has booked Dec. 5, 2012, at the Barclays Center — becoming the biggest name yet to be lured away from MSG to the future home of the NBA’s Nets.

The Brooklyn arena will be christened in September with a series of concerts by team co-owner and rap icon Jay-Z, who is also expected to use his clout to draw big-name music artists to Brooklyn.

Experts expect the city’s two biggest venues to regularly battle over major acts.

Bocelli, the biggest-selling solo artist in classical-music history, will discuss details of his 2012 tour tonight in a television special on PBS.

Borough President Marty Markowitz crowed, “It’s only natural” that Bocelli would take his show to “the big stage in Brooklyn.” “Look out Manhattan!” he shouted. “Not only will the Brooklyn Nets wipe the floor with your Knicks, but the Barclays Center is going to give MSG, or as we call it in Brooklyn, ‘Manhattan Square Garden,’ a real run for its money.”

And Barclays Center brass now have their eyes on landing another huge prize: heavyweight-boxing champion Wladimir Klitschko. The Barclays Center has already locked up 174 events for its inaugural year and officials anticipate the total growing to 220. This includes the popular Coaches Vs. Cancer college hoops tournament, which is moving from MSG to Barclays Center next year, as well boxing, circus, equestrian and other shows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction