HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how's cumbersome trash collection in other provinces and cities?
I know that in many cities, you call them (the city) and they come once a month when it's needed. at least 4 days prior to the pickup.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 7:25 PM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 8:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ours is still quite primitive. Collection is once weekly - in my neighbourhood, it's Wednesday.

You can put out no more than 10 full-sized garbage bags (yes, really lol) and they must be covered with a net or a blanket to prevent sea gulls from making a mess of everything.

http://www.thetelegram.com/news/loca...ection-129679/

We're moving to automated collection with proper bins but it'll probably never be implemented downtown because the bins can't fit through people's doors and there's very little room (Canada Post couldn't get rid of door-to-door delivery here either for that reason, there's no convenient place to put enough boxes).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 8:05 PM

In NDG (Montréal) you can dump an old sofa or fridge on the sidewalk and it will be gone in a few days. Looking at their web page (french), it looks like they pick up twice a week.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 8:33 PM

Garbage and recycling gets collected here once a week. I believe both are unlimited but you have to buy tags for garbage (recycle is free). We are behind on compost but a program is starting this year. Not sure how it is going to work yet.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
In NDG (Montréal) you can dump an old sofa or fridge on the sidewalk and it will be gone in a few days. Looking at their web page (french), it looks like they pick up twice a week.
In Sherbrooke a fridge will be gone in a few days (scrapmetal value), but the old sofa I dumped in front of one of my buildings on the morning of July 3rd, 2017 is still there as I'm writing this. But it will finally get picked up pretty soon, after nearly 10 months next to the sidewalk, because the next Cumbersome Items Pickup is approaching at last.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 1:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

trash pick is once a week here. theres no pick up but dont mean u cant borrow a truck to haul big items to the dump as its not far from town.

i have a pile of wood from taring up the raised floor in my basement thats 50yrs old so i got some friends together and had a fire out back last night some beers and snacks listening to music

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:23 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
^That looks like a great use of space! Love the few walkups that Toronto has.

Yeah, I'm a little curious as to the history of the building. I live around College & Dovercourt, which has several such walkup buildings like mine in the vicinity, mostly built in the same few decades. Which of course, is kind of unusual for a neighbourhood within our city limits in that era.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:45 PM
Nashwaaksissy

In Fredericton garbage is once a week, recycling is sorted into 2 categories that are picked up on alternating weeks. No compost collection.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
And here's a floorplan I measured out and drew up to arrange my furniture:

That's awesome. I think i'm just going to draw up a floorplan or 3d model of my unit too actually, to help with furniture planning. My place is like all glass, so any interior photo will give away my location lol.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:18 AM

Some preliminary furniture concepts of my condo. This is a conversion of a 1000sf 2br+"media" into a generous 1br+den This plan includes replacing the wall between the 2nd bedroom and kitchen area with a series of barn doors and demolishing a wall to create a 2nd door to the master bedroom, to open up the expanse of windows as much as possible. Also plan to demolish the tiny master bedroom closet in favor of integrated millwork/bed. Plus a huge kitchen island in lieu of a separate dining area, which would've eaten into the living room area. Thankfully most of the kitchen apart from the island already exists, and I'm not changing the window coverings. Tell me if my budgeting is off:

Island - 15k
Wall demo/sliding doors - 6k
TV wall + fireplace - 3k
Green wall - 2k
Custom sofa - 6k
Master bed + closet combo - 10k
Other funiture + planters - 7k
Total ~ 50k

Last edited by dleung; Apr 25, 2018 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:14 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

That's a great plan dleung, what does the existing look layout look like for comparison?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:24 AM

In Coquitlam they do once a week general trash and recycling. Once a year they allow you to throw anything out so you will see piles of furniture, fridges, stoves etc. There are a lot of people who drive around and pick up things when that time of year happens.

Other times of the year you can drive it yourself to the garbage centre and you have to pay to drop anything off.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:54 AM

@dleung

What software/ website did you use to make those drawings?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 12:59 PM

If that were my condo, I'd probably put a wall in to divide the main bathroom and study (the unit as a whole has very little wall space for art, which I could not live without). With the creation of an opening between the living room and the bedroom, I might also look at closing off the doorway into the ensuite/bedroom area to see if I couldn't use some of that hallway space for an additional closet/storage area.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 2:01 AM

Well here's what I had to work with:

I agree it's a very wasteful hallway inside the master bedroom, and i'm not a fan of the zig-zag hallway leading to the front door. Problem is, if I'm getting ready for work in the morning, I don't want to walk 70 feet from the ensuite to the front door, though i can see how it can be confusing for guests which washroom to use.

I'm also going to come up with a better design for the TV wall, so that it can have more storage.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 5:01 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Definitely a big improvement over the existing. One thing I'd do if it were up to me though, would be to get rid of the awkward front hall closet and replace it with a bank of millwork closets along the entire "east" wall of the entrance.

Also, how are you going to get plumbing to the new sink in the island?

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Definitely a big improvement over the existing. One thing I'd do if it were up to me though, would be to get rid of the awkward front hall closet and replace it with a bank of millwork closets along the entire "east" wall of the entrance.

Also, how are you going to get plumbing to the new sink in the island?
Actually there's a smaller existing island with sink that I failed to show in the stripped down plan. It was a dark granite that didn't match the new kitchen wall but looked expensive enough for the previous owner to just leave it there. But it meant a separate dining table, which is not my style. Good idea about the millwork wall, though I might not have the budget for it - not even sure if I'll go all the way w the master bedroom millwork.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 10:35 PM
Midtowner since 2K

For the time being, I'm living in the basement of a Missingsausage home. Going to move out soon....getting myself a place in Toronto later this year. This subdivision I'm in is from '84, bunch of Post-modern housing that's as cheap as you'd expect it to be. Not showing any interior shots because it's a real mess, the basement is very plain and I figured I shouldn't buy anything expensive or worthwhile if I'll be here for a few years.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.56985...=en&authuser=0

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Ours is still quite primitive. Collection is once weekly - in my neighbourhood, it's Wednesday.

You can put out no more than 10 full-sized garbage bags (yes, really lol) and they must be covered with a net or a blanket to prevent sea gulls from making a mess of everything.

http://www.thetelegram.com/news/loca...ection-129679/

We're moving to automated collection with proper bins but it'll probably never be implemented downtown because the bins can't fit through people's doors and there's very little room (Canada Post couldn't get rid of door-to-door delivery here either for that reason, there's no convenient place to put enough boxes).
Being a Vancouverite, I thought those were homeless people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada