HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
No one who is not a student wants to live in West Campus. West Campus is for students, which is fine for me. But I have seen people who are not try to live there, and for them, the hassle and chaos (which is part of the charm as a student) is just not worth it when there are so many awesome neighborhoods around Austin.
Actually not even most grad students want to live in West Campus! LOL! It is specifically undergraduate oriented ( with execptions, of course)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 5:23 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
No one who is not a student wants to live in West Campus. West Campus is for students, which is fine for me. But I have seen people who are not try to live there, and for them, the hassle and chaos (which is part of the charm as a student) is just not worth it when there are so many awesome neighborhoods around Austin.
Actually I hear that West Campus while majority is student population is begining to gain a more varied demograpic of people moving in. The location within the city is excellent and provides an urban lifestyle (albiet University oriented) that is a bit cheaper than Downtown itself. Not all the new buildings are dorms, some have quite nice apartments.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:20 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Actually I hear that West Campus while majority is student population is begining to gain a more varied demograpic of people moving in. The location within the city is excellent and provides an urban lifestyle (albiet University oriented) that is a bit cheaper than Downtown itself. Not all the new buildings are dorms, some have quite nice apartments.
Exactly. Although I didn't know that some of the newer builds were non-dorms.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 4:44 AM

Quote:
As a current resident (and one for the last 4 years), I just do not see it. If anything, it seems as if the few families/professionals who were left in the area (mostly in the far western fringes of the neighborhood) are leaving.

I am fine with the area maintaining its undergrad orientation. The University has 36,000 undergrads and around 17,000 live in WC. I would like to see Riverside, where another 10,000 students live, become more oriented to young professionals as WC remains the way it is, though with the higher density that is planned. Plus, all of the loud parties, drunk students, high property crime rates, drug use, etc would turn off even the most nostalgic young professional/hipster. I am already way over it and plan on moving to Dallas now that I have just graduated and have a job.

If anything, the North Campus area should be poised to be the next area to be redeveloped, though with grad students and professors/university employees in mind.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 6:19 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
As a current resident (and one for the last 4 years), I just do not see it. If anything, it seems as if the few families/professionals who were left in the area (mostly in the far western fringes of the neighborhood) are leaving.

I am fine with the area maintaining its undergrad orientation. The University has 36,000 undergrads and around 17,000 live in WC. I would like to see Riverside, where another 10,000 students live, become more oriented to young professionals as WC remains the way it is, though with the higher density that is planned. Plus, all of the loud parties, drunk students, high property crime rates, drug use, etc would turn off even the most nostalgic young professional/hipster. I am already way over it and plan on moving to Dallas now that I have just graduated and have a job.

If anything, the North Campus area should be poised to be the next area to be redeveloped, though with grad students and professors/university employees in mind.
Your leaving our wonderful Austin for Dallas?

I will say crime is an issue but I dont mind the parties at all, thats part of why I like it
I didnt say familes I said a wider demograpic than just students. Generally single but not a UT student.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Your leaving our wonderful Austin for Dallas?

I will say crime is an issue but I dont mind the parties at all, thats part of why I like it
I didnt say familes I said a wider demograpic than just students. Generally single but not a UT student.
I know. I tried really, really hard to find a position in this city as have almost all of my classmates. Unfortunately, I have to search for the most Austinesque area of D-town to call home. Many in my class have more patience than me and are willing to work odd design gigs than have a full time position in another city. Can't say that I would blame them.

It is still possible to live in WC while not an undergrad. I just subleased my space to a 30 year old nurse. Most apartments have 1/1 options, or there are opportunities to buy condos. Still, I believe the culture of the neighborhood is unappealing to anyone over 21.

The urban built form is very, very desirable to someone like you or me. But the level and concentration of immaturity gets to you deeply after a certain point. Of course, not everyone is like me, but I can imagine that sort of lifestyle gets old quickly for anyone.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
I know. I tried really, really hard to find a position in this city as have almost all of my classmates. Unfortunately, I have to search for the most Austinesque area of D-town to call home. Many in my class have more patience than me and are willing to work odd design gigs than have a full time position in another city. Can't say that I would blame them.

It is still possible to live in WC while not an undergrad. I just subleased my space to a 30 year old nurse. Most apartments have 1/1 options, or there are opportunities to buy condos. Still, I believe the culture of the neighborhood is unappealing to anyone over 21.

The urban built form is very, very desirable to someone like you or me. But the level and concentration of immaturity gets to you deeply after a certain point. Of course, not everyone is like me, but I can imagine that sort of lifestyle gets old quickly for anyone.
I used to live on WC too. I know what you mean... but man, I still would prefer living there than anywhere here in SF. Only reason was because it was sooooo cheap living there. And I never needed a car for anything. I could walk around and buy whatever it was I needed. Well, I could do the same here in SF but it's still not as cheap. haha And the girls were just fine and dandy to have as well. I miss Wheatsville, Spiderhouse and my favoirte I Luv Video. I also liked having the Dobie theater when it was around. I still think about Austin a lot... dammit. I'm feeling homesick again.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:05 PM
Meh

Well, this is the email that I got back about the height. Bummer. The site plan height is supposed to be 180 feet. I would have guessed it would be more than 200 feet, though.

This email came from the developer. PageSoutherlandPage is the architect, and I haven't gotten an email back from them either. I'll still try to find a height from other sources connected to the building.

Quote:
Kevin –
You should have gotten a bounce back message that I was on vacation.

But that’s beside the point. We do not respond to these types of questions simply because we get so many regarding our 62 properties from so all these various websites . I am a one person department and we had to draw the line.

Sorry.

We do publish press releases along with “life” of a development that might contain some of the information you are seeking. www.EdRtrust.com.
Here is a page with more info about it.

http://www.edrtrust.com/documents/U%...0%20Nueces.pdf

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:28 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well, this is the email that I got back about the height. Bummer. The site plan height is supposed to be 180 feet. I would have guessed it would be more than 200 feet, though.

This email came from the developer. PageSoutherlandPage is the architect, and I haven't gotten an email back from them either. I'll still try to find a height from other sources connected to the building.

Here is a page with more info about it.

http://www.edrtrust.com/documents/U%...0%20Nueces.pdf
You would think it would be easier for him to type xxx ft instead of the long explanation.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:10 PM
Meh

I'm still working on getting it. I've emailed the contractor (Hensel Phelps) about it, and he said he's forwarding my message to the project manager. They should know it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:01 PM
Meh

Ok, I got an email back from PageSoutherlandPage, the architects. They said the building is 180 feet to the mechanical penthouse and 173 feet 6 inches to the main roof.

I'm surprised this one didn't turn out to be 200 feet tall. It looks massive. By the way, I checked the construction camera, and it's up to the 8th floor now. So it's halfway up.

At 180 feet tall, it is currently the 51st tallest building in Austin right between the Stephen F. Austin Hotel and the Austin City Lofts. This building and Austin City Lofts were both designed by PageSoutherlandPage, and Austin architecture firm.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 1:51 AM
Austinite

Shots from Saturday, 8/4

Looking east on 24th St.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 7:26 AM
~Hook'em~

Awesome, thank you! I update the spoiler in the compilation thread with your photos. I hope you don't mind.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 7:02 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Awesome, thank you! I update the spoiler in the compilation thread with your photos. I hope you don't mind.
Please go right ahead. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 9:52 PM
Meh

A few shots from I-35 from August 22nd and 24th. It's difficult to hold the camera steady, get it to focus and get the intended target.

It's up to the 11th floor in these. So 5 floors to go.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:18 PM
Meh

Video of 2400 Nueces from the parking garage at 24th & San Jacinto. This was for Endeavour flyover this morning.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:52 AM

I wonder how long he kept recording before he realized the 747 was not coming out from the other side of the building under construction...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:09 PM
Meh

9/21

It was up to the 13th floor working on the 14th in these.

The crane to the left is for Callaway House.

Left to right: Callaway House, Hampton Inn University of Texas, 2400 Nueces.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:19 AM

Kevin, thanks for all the pic updates...btw, to you and all the other bicycle riders out there, please be careful. When I heard about the latest fatality on the Congress Bridge, I couldn't help but think of you guys. Its sad that he just started riding his bike to save on gas money and to get exercise and another stupid ass drunk asshole ran him down...RIP. Sorry to use this thread to bust this in, but I'd hate to see a new thread mourning the loss of one of our own. Ride like every car on the road is out to get you.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 3:05 AM
Meh

Yeah, that's pretty scary. I rode on that very same lane less than 24 hours before it happened. I also saw a girl get hit on South Congress on Thursday. She was ok. She was in the bike lane riding north on South Congress just south of Barton Springs. A car pulled in front of her as it was pulling into a driveway. She hit the car. It was the driver's fault since he pulled in front of her. I was less than 10 feet away when it happened. I was actually sitting back a ways in that driveway. If I had been just 2 minutes later it would have been me getting hit. Again, she was ok. The guy got out and apologized and they swapped info.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin