HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Is that a self storage facility off to the right?
YUP..... SURE IS

Unfortunately the BeltLine overlay zoning is JUST short of this property.....

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:28 PM

That design is horrific. Fuqua is the absolute worst developer ever to exist. These types of developments are going to have to become a political issue. People are going to have to demand governmental action to curtail poorly designed, auto-centric development.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:39 PM

In other news....take a look at Grant Park/Zoo Atlanta's parking deck

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaden View Post
That design is horrific. Fuqua is the absolute worst developer ever to exist. These types of developments are going to have to become a political issue. People are going to have to demand governmental action to curtail poorly designed, auto-centric development.
It's amazing that we have homeowners associations like Home Park that literally stops all mixed used walkable developments on 14th street, yet we have no DRCs or HOAs that completely stops Fuqua's developments? I don't get it. He is from here so he knows all the ins and outs and loopholes to build his developments and legally there isn't much we can do about it. I will vote for the first mayor that proposes a zoning overhaul of the entire inner 30 square miles of the city.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Bravo to Smith Dalia and Grant Park.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:09 PM

Regarding the Fuqua development, I hate the design, but nothing abutting the property resembles anything remotely urban. Northside drive is not a walkable road, and besides the potential parkland at the water works, I don't see any immediate development occurring around here (within 1000 ft). I do like that it appears from the design he will preserve the 5 large oak trees facing Northside drive. His previous designs removed the trees, and fronted the roads with his 1 story strip mall design. I think in 30 years when the urban footprint spreads this way, it will be a prime lot for redevelopment into something more dense.

I think we should concentrate our energies on building dense developments in more walkable areas for now. I would certainly be more excited about the fate of Atlantic Station lots and properties like the Whole Foods shopping center across from PCM and the GA Power lots near the east side trail, or some of the lots off howell mill road, which have much better potential. I'm certainly not walking to this property at the edge of nowhere.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Regarding the Fuqua development, I hate the design, but nothing abutting the property resembles anything remotely urban. Northside drive is not a walkable road, and besides the potential parkland at the water works, I don't see any immediate development occurring around here (within 1000 ft). I do like that it appears from the design he will preserve the 5 large oak trees facing Northside drive. His previous designs removed the trees, and fronted the roads with his 1 story strip mall design. I think in 30 years when the urban footprint spreads this way, it will be a prime lot for redevelopment into something more dense.

I think we should concentrate our energies on building dense developments in more walkable areas for now. I would certainly be more excited about the fate of Atlantic Station lots and properties like the Whole Foods shopping center across from PCM and the GA Power lots near the east side trail, or some of the lots off howell mill road, which have much better potential. I'm certainly not walking to this property at the edge of nowhere.
This is the same attitude I was just criticizing last week. "The property is already unwalkable anyway so it doesn't really matter if we build crap here or not". I mean, this lot is literally next to Atlantic Station...people from Atlantic Station can walk here...this is not even a mile from Midtown Atlanta...why are we just being so nonchalant about developments like this? I just don't get this attitude from Atlanta residents. Medicore attitudes of residents create mediocre cities.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:

The development that has been springing up on Bishop is urban enough. The apartments abut the sidewalk and the parking deck is hidden behind. And even the gun range is not too bad either. They extended Bishop through the development but made no attempt to make it more urban like they at least did with the Edgewood Retail District. It is his worst effort in recent memory.

examples: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7923...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7926...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7931...7i13312!8i6656

edit:

Render of what the under construction apartments will look like.

And the building front door for Heights at West Midtown

Last edited by GeorgiaPeanuts; Apr 25, 2017 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This is the same attitude I was just criticizing last week. "The property is already unwalkable anyway so it doesn't really matter if we build crap here or not". I mean, this lot is literally next to Atlantic Station...people from Atlantic Station can walk here...this is not even a mile from Midtown Atlanta...why are we just being so nonchalant about developments like this? I just don't get this attitude from Atlanta residents. Medicore attitudes of residents create mediocre cities.
It is walkable from the Atlantic Station housing and there are people that walk that area.

Sure, Northside isn't as much, but if these types of developments continue there is no progress to a more walkable area outside of those small pockets that already exist.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
The development that has been springing up on Bishop is urban enough. The apartments abut the sidewalk and the parking deck is hidden behind. And even the gun range is not too bad either. They extended Bishop through the development but made no attempt to make it more urban like they at least did with the Edgewood Retail District. It is his worst effort in recent memory.

examples: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7923...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7931...7i13312!8i6656
We need more loud voices....a lot (most) residents don't have a clue what "urban form" means or how to achieve it. I challenge someone on this forum to plot out the Fuqua plan and bring it to the Midtown Alliance forum with Tim Keane. I would but am already committed. Also - bring to a Mayoral candidate forum and ask each candidate what they think of the design. Bet all but maybe two would think its a good design.

http://www.midtownatl.com/do/lets-ta...ur-future-city

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:35 PM

Quote:

That's simply not true. Atlantic Station and 17th Street are lined with high-density residential and high rise towers. Not to mention the higher-density rising on Bishop Street. This spot is easily walkable from the developments around The Commons area and Bishop Street. I didn't say there could be NO parking. I just said that Atlanta needs to curtail the vast surface lots by utilizing multi-story or underground parking. And there could have easily been some street-fronting development here. This could'v easily been another piece in the puzzle.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:36 PM
Kev K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
I challenge someone on this forum to plot out the Fuqua plan and bring it to the Midtown Alliance forum with Tim Keane

http://www.midtownatl.com/do/lets-ta...ur-future-city
I already had bought my tickets for the event and have access to a plotter. Ill show up with this "plan" but don't expect an opportunity to speak out at an event like this.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:51 PM

The Loring Heights Neighborhood Master Plan warned of this, when it was adopted by the City of Atlanta a few years ago, as follows:

Page 20 states:
Along the 17th Street/Bishop Street corridor, the
future land use designation is industrial, reflecting the
long-standing industrial use of the area. However,
as previously noted, the long-term viability of this
area as an industrial district remains questionable.
As with the low-density commercial and mixed-use
classifications, industrial designation also supports
the development of large retail shopping centers,
which are allowed by right in Atlanta’s industrial
zoning districts, but it does not permit rezoning to
true mixed-use districts.

Page 88 then offers recommendations that state:
While most elements of the Framework Plan can
be achieved with existing City of Atlanta zoning
While most elements of the Framework Plan can
be achieved with existing City of Atlanta zoning
districts, there is no district suitable for the Bishop
Street corridor, which is envisioned as a mixeduse
light industrial districts. To this end, the City
should explore creating a new district, which could
include the following:
-Restrictions on big-box retail uses,
-Prohibition of billboards and adult businesses,
-Allowance of most industrial uses found in I-1,
-Streetscape and urban design standards similar to those in Quality of Life Zoning Districts,
-Minimum requirements for job-creating land uses within new projects,
-Prohibition of exclusively-housing developments, and
- Restrictions on residential uses, such that they are allowed only when they are compatible with adjacent industrial uses.

The latter item is of extreme importance, as most
new residential uses in industrial areas have been
detrimental to surrounding industries.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:34 PM
Star Blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
The Loring Heights Neighborhood Master Plan warned of this, when it was adopted by the City of Atlanta a few years ago, as follows:

Page 20 states:
Along the 17th Street/Bishop Street corridor, the
future land use designation is industrial, reflecting the
long-standing industrial use of the area. ...
Is this available online? I'd love to read the rest of this!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:15 PM
Star Blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clexmond View Post
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Have to throw my vote for "hands down the best looking (proposed) mixed-use development in Atlanta" to the Turner Field redevelopment:

Now THAT'S a beautiful city!

If you look closely near the bottom of Hank Aaron Drive, you can see the Atlanta Streetcar too, and other one a few blocks north!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:44 PM

Another Southside Trail update with more detailed designs for some of the intersections:

https://beltlineorg-wpengine.netdna-...on-4.24.17.pdf

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Now THAT'S a beautiful city!

If you look closely near the bottom of Hank Aaron Drive, you can see the Atlanta Streetcar too, and other one a few blocks north!
They even rebuilt the old Archives building!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 9:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:

M-Dawg,

I agree. I find it hypocritical folks on here bash this for lack of density and surface parking:

But praise this for it's urban design. Frankly, I find this to be a complete lost opportunity to add density into area where a street car is planned and it is within a street grid:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
M-Dawg,

I agree. I find it hypocritical folks on here bash this for lack of density and surface parking:

But praise this for it's urban design. Frankly, I find this to be a complete lost opportunity to add density into area where a street car is planned and it is within a street grid:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 10:12 PM

Atlanta3000,

I'm sorry, but that's a horrible comparison. The Georgia Avenue area has numerous existing buildings already and is split into many parcels due to its historic use. This is restoring that historic use and has precedent in many of Atlanta's most beloved neighborhoods: VaHi, Edgewood Avenue, etc.

I actually don't disagree that they should be pushing for higher residential density around the edge of the existing Georgia Ave buildings, but this isn't even a construction proposal and those areas will ultimately get built with the density the market dictates. And the way to make the market demand density there is by having a nice, walkable neighborhood along Georgia Ave.

The Fuqua dumpster fire is by contrast on the outskirts of a prime, massive urban redevelopment project. It's a single parcel of land, and in an area where it has been proven again and again that medium and high density multifamilty and commercial development is viable. It's just a lazy way to grind quick ROI out of a parcel by jamming a big box store onto it. A big box that would be strongly discouraged by zoning laws and ordinances in many/most other parts of the city. The externalities are serious an negative for this project, and it feeds off of the positive externalities of the relatively well-designed properties and neighborhoods in the vicinity. This is the type of thing zoning laws are there to prevent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations