HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 8:54 PM
James

Weissman to test 24-hour diner in GrayStreet-owned property

Quote:
Neither Covey nor Weissman are certain whether the concept will work or be able to push through the sleepy six hours of the night, but Covey said the fact that the chef is willing to "just go for it" speaks to why Weissman is one of GrayStreet's strongest tenants.
I'm liking this just go for it approach, they may take a loss in the end... but at least they are trying.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 9:13 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Weissman to test 24-hour diner in GrayStreet-owned property

I'm liking this just go for it approach, they may take a loss in the end... but at least they are trying.
Well, it's worked for Mi Tierra for decades. Glad someone else is giving the 24 hour idea a try.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 12:32 AM

http://therivardreport.com/creative-...-to-southtown/

this is great for the SoFlo area!! The last domino to drop is maybe someone buying out that damn Salvation Army building :/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanfromTexas View Post
http://therivardreport.com/creative-...-to-southtown/

this is great for the SoFlo area!! The last domino to drop is maybe someone buying out that damn Salvation Army building :/
I would love SAHA to move, they are sitting on a large piece of prime land next to a great little park. SAHA's large parking lot sits half empty during the day and of course completely empty at night.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 12:39 AM
SA 24th largest city

Newell/Broadway

Old Car wash at intersection demolished. Any word?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
Old Car wash at intersection demolished. Any word?
1,000 foot skyscraper going in, with office, housing, and plenty of retail on ground floor.

Just kidding, but one can dream.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 2:20 PM
Paradise

Wasn't that where that grocery store and restaurant were proposed? Maybe it's back on the boards.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 9:11 PM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
Wasn't that where that grocery store and restaurant were proposed? Maybe it's back on the boards.
Thought that entirely fell through. Guess may hear about this in due time.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 10:57 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
That development was proposed by 210 Development. When Wolff pulled out as the grocery competent, it died. Gray St. Partners then bought it. Not sure what's planned.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 2:04 AM
SA 24th largest city

ok

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 2:44 PM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post

Beautiful skyline!!
A mix of the old and the new.......

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
That development was proposed by 210 Development. When Wolff pulled out as the grocery competent, it died. Gray St. Partners then bought it. Not sure what's planned.
Office building is what is being thrown around for the car wash land.

Did anyone else see that the Fox Motel got demolished too, finally!?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 3:48 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

A Good Read

SA Tomorrow: Your City is Going to Look Real Different Real Soon
Posted By Michael Barajas
San Antonio Current
Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 7:00 AM
http://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/a...rent-real-soon

Quote:
Zachry Corp., part of the partnership handed $325 million to demolish, rebuild, and expand the convention center, is now one of the companies that has entered into negotiations with HPARC for a $165 million high-rise development on the edge of the new civic park.
Quote:
Andjuar puts the price of the civic park itself at $58 million. So far philanthropy, through the Hemisfair Conservancy, has only pulled in about $800,000, Andujar says, meaning that if the city really keeps its bond funding for Hemisfair at the current recommendation of $26 million, planners might have to bridge a major funding gap.
Quote:
Growth moved in a direction away from much of what made San Antonio unique. Express-News reporter Vianna Davila, who spent more than a year investigating the city’s history of development and leaders’ plans for the future, recently delivered this sobering assessment of how we got to this point: “As it has increased in size, San Antonio has grown away from its historic origins downtown and on the South Side, the respective homes to San Fernando Cathedral and the missions. It’s as if in the process of becoming the seventh-largest city in the country, San Antonio has drifted away from the core of what has made it special and different than any other American metropolis.”
Quote:
Aqualand President Adam Schneider acknowledged the project’s obvious similarities to the redevelopment of the old Pearl brewery along south Broadway. Lone Star, he told us, will probably be less food-centric and more focused on becoming an entertainment hub for the city (they’re still hammering out exactly what that means, he said). He says there will be mixed use, retail, office and residential — possibly even a hotel. The developers say they plan on going after some of the city’s downtown housing-incentive money.

David Neuhoff of CBL says the idea is to “create another destination point not just for Southtown but for the city as a whole.” He says the developers plan to start construction next year and open by fall 2018.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:34 AM

Decade of Downtown

Just thought I'd post a thread on the Decade of Downtown. Looking for comments that appraise its success. Where has it succeeded, and where has it failed?

I'm sure we can all agree there has been some success, but has it been enough?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:42 AM

Just some thoughts to start off.

First, one of the major tenets was to curb urban sprawl. While residential units DT have come on line, and more in the pipeline, I'm not sure enough have been made available to curb the move to the suburbs.

Here is an interesting article, from March:

http://www.expressnews.com/news/loca...in-7030115.php

I believe that density DT is not where it needs to be, but we are at least turning our attention in that direction.

But, is there a demand for a growing DT?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 9:50 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

There's no need to start a seperate thread for downtown discussion. I moved your posts to the urban development thread.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Aug 27, 2016 at 3:56 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 6:41 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

As someone who works downtown and lives in a neighborhood immediately adjacent to downtown and basically grew up downtown, "downtown" to me is the actual downtown core. I'm sure plenty of people disagree, but as a lifelong San Antonian, Southtown, East Side and Pearl are not downtown. The revitalization of those areas are great and obviously contribute to the health of the central city, but they're still not downtown to me.

So, things that have actually changed "downtown", not including proposed projects:

-10 story Bexar County office building.
-Public Safety HQ
-Tobin Center
-Renovation of the Rand Building into Geekdom
-Santa Rosa Hospital remodel
-Embassy Suites Riverwalk
-Joske's/Rivercenter expansion
-Yanaguana Garden Playground
-St Anthony Hotel remodel
-Halfassed re-do of Travis Park
-South Texas Building converted into a hotel
-Hilton Garden Inn on Houston is almost done
-Traveler's "Hotel" remodel into an actual hotel will be done sometime this year I think.

I'm sure I've left a few out, but I'm pretty confident I hit all the big projects. So if you take out all the hotel projects and the public sector buildings/parks, what are we left with? Geekdom, the Rivercenter Expansion and the Santa Rosa re-do. A pretty paltry harvest for the "decade of downtown", if you ask me.

The good news is that there are some really solid proposals out there right now for the core that I'm incredibly excited about, so it seems like we're finally headed in the right direction. Hopefully by the end of the decade we'll have some real progress to report.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Just thought I'd post a thread on the Decade of Downtown. Looking for comments that appraise its success. Where has it succeeded, and where has it failed?

I'm sure we can all agree there has been some success, but has it been enough?
What I regard as the most significant and positive steps taken (or on the verge of being taken) are the following:

River North - This has been an amazing success in terms of the returns seen for the original investment made by the city. It promises to keep on delivering for the foreseeable future, as well. It has delivered big time on the retail, commercial and residential scenes and there is more yet to come.

San Pedro Creek Restoration - What an incredible way to revitalize the near west end of DT. With the delivery of contiguous projects like the Frost HQ, Zona Cultural complex and the new Federal Courthouse this is going to spawn so much more additional development it will make our heads spin.

Alamo Plaza Upgrade - I always thought what a shame it was that the Alamo chapel and it's immediate surroundings are all we have left of the original mission complex. What a great defining centerpiece we could have had for our DT if it were arranged around a completely restored Mission San Antonio de Valero as it appeared on the day of the engagement, complete with a first-rate museum and visitor's center. Too late for that now, but we can certainly hope the area is improved to eliminate or greatly reduce what I presently regard as a wholly inappropriate, carnival-like atmosphere that is not at all in keeping with what is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

WestSide Multi-Modal Transit Center - Another great step forward, to become even better when Greyhound relocates to the site, freeing up that prime real estate on N. St. Mary's St for something I have a feeling will be really exciting. As far as the recently-posted plans for light-rail go, they are quite ambitious and admirable. Out of the projected 1.1 million new arrivals to the city over the next 20-25 years, I do believe about 700,000 of them would have to vote for this to become a reality.

Hemisfair Plaza Redevelopment - Once we can get past the funding suspense for the Civic Park, then we are on our way. I feel pretty certain that Andres and his moving-shaking colleagues can pry loose the necessary scratch for this to get over the hump. Regarding the moaning contest over the proposed Boutique Hotel, I would merely remind those opposed that recent studies show we are clearly being outpaced and outspent by Dallas and Austin (who knows who else) in the competition for tourist dollars. Plus, the CVB reminds us that we are still unable to compete for the "super" conventions for a lack of available rooms. A mid-size (250 rms) hotel at the corner of the park would not spoil the grandeur/scenic value/nature appeal of this project.

H.B. Gonzalez Center Expansion - A very important step forward in maintaining the city's competitive posture in the convention industry. If anyone doubts how critical this is, just try chatting with some of the CVB staff.

On the "loss" side of the ledger:

Notwithstanding the relevant argument over how it was to be funded, I was really bummed about the demise of the downtown trolley/streetcar/whatever connecting the outer margins of the CBD with vital transit points like the AlamoDome and the WestSide Multi-Modal Center. That would have been an incredible spur and incentive for residential development in several areas. I hope it has not been irretrievably reconciled to the dustbin.

The cancellation of the Joske's Tower was a real setback in the drive to establish more residential space downtown, especially given it's nice height and not too shabby looks. And all for a non-existent shadow it was going to cast on the Alamo. Give me a practical break... I do remember that Sculley was on record as still supporting a new high-rise structure at what used to be called RiverCenter and that the Mall owners (still Ashkenazy?) were supposedly still cogitating on it. How long can it take?

Does anyone remember the 27-story condo tower at 319 E. Houston St.? Another jewel gone with the wind. Or the Presidio Tower on the Paseo del Rio? I even remember that the Chicoms were going to build a 50-story hotel for Hemisfair before someone shot that one down. I leave it to those in the know to opine on what forces led to the demise of those projects, whether the '08 recession, interest rates, cold feet, barometric pressure, zombie virus outbreaks, etc.

A final word on the debate re urban sprawl. In my humble opinion, as long as there are parents who want a back yard for their kids, and developers who can continue to snap up large tracts of undeveloped land (and keep certain public officials well-greased), it will endure ad nauseum.

AFFIANT FURTHER SAYETH NOT

Keep San Antonio Comatose...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEVET View Post
What I regard as the most significant and positive steps taken (or on the verge of being taken) are the following:

River North - This has been an amazing success in terms of the returns seen for the original investment made by the city. It promises to keep on delivering for the foreseeable future, as well. It has delivered big time on the retail, commercial and residential scenes and there is more yet to come.

San Pedro Creek Restoration - What an incredible way to revitalize the near west end of DT. With the delivery of contiguous projects like the Frost HQ, Zona Cultural complex and the new Federal Courthouse this is going to spawn so much more additional development it will make our heads spin.

Alamo Plaza Upgrade - I always thought what a shame it was that the Alamo chapel and it's immediate surroundings are all we have left of the original mission complex. What a great defining centerpiece we could have had for our DT if it were arranged around a completely restored Mission San Antonio de Valero as it appeared on the day of the engagement, complete with a first-rate museum and visitor's center. Too late for that now, but we can certainly hope the area is improved to eliminate or greatly reduce what I presently regard as a wholly inappropriate, carnival-like atmosphere that is not at all in keeping with what is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

WestSide Multi-Modal Transit Center - Another great step forward, to become even better when Greyhound relocates to the site, freeing up that prime real estate on N. St. Mary's St for something I have a feeling will be really exciting. As far as the recently-posted plans for light-rail go, they are quite ambitious and admirable. Out of the projected 1.1 million new arrivals to the city over the next 20-25 years, I do believe about 700,000 of them would have to vote for this to become a reality.

Hemisfair Plaza Redevelopment - Once we can get past the funding suspense for the Civic Park, then we are on our way. I feel pretty certain that Andres and his moving-shaking colleagues can pry loose the necessary scratch for this to get over the hump. Regarding the moaning contest over the proposed Boutique Hotel, I would merely remind those opposed that recent studies show we are clearly being outpaced and outspent by Dallas and Austin (who knows who else) in the competition for tourist dollars. Plus, the CVB reminds us that we are still unable to compete for the "super" conventions for a lack of available rooms. A mid-size (250 rms) hotel at the corner of the park would not spoil the grandeur/scenic value/nature appeal of this project.

H.B. Gonzalez Center Expansion - A very important step forward in maintaining the city's competitive posture in the convention industry. If anyone doubts how critical this is, just try chatting with some of the CVB staff.

On the "loss" side of the ledger:

Notwithstanding the relevant argument over how it was to be funded, I was really bummed about the demise of the downtown trolley/streetcar/whatever connecting the outer margins of the CBD with vital transit points like the AlamoDome and the WestSide Multi-Modal Center. That would have been an incredible spur and incentive for residential development in several areas. I hope it has not been irretrievably reconciled to the dustbin.

The cancellation of the Joske's Tower was a real setback in the drive to establish more residential space downtown, especially given it's nice height and not too shabby looks. And all for a non-existent shadow it was going to cast on the Alamo. Give me a practical break... I do remember that Sculley was on record as still supporting a new high-rise structure at what used to be called RiverCenter and that the Mall owners (still Ashkenazy?) were supposedly still cogitating on it. How long can it take?

Does anyone remember the 27-story condo tower at 319 E. Houston St.? Another jewel gone with the wind. Or the Presidio Tower on the Paseo del Rio? I even remember that the Chicoms were going to build a 50-story hotel for Hemisfair before someone shot that one down. I leave it to those in the know to opine on what forces led to the demise of those projects, whether the '08 recession, interest rates, cold feet, barometric pressure, zombie virus outbreaks, etc.

A final word on the debate re urban sprawl. In my humble opinion, as long as there are parents who want a back yard for their kids, and developers who can continue to snap up large tracts of undeveloped land (and keep certain public officials well-greased), it will endure ad nauseum.

AFFIANT FURTHER SAYETH NOT

Keep San Antonio Comatose...
That was an excellent, well thought out post.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio