HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 3:05 PM

Re Walmart. They tend to avoid malls when possible. In the case of Metrotown in BC, they have had, not unsurprising, challenges in securing real estate large enough for stores in the great Vancouver area so moving into a mall makes sense.

In terms of relocating to the Polo Park Target, considering how hard Shindico was looking for tenants there was likely a serious conversation had with Walmart. My guess is they couldn't come to terms on a lease cost. They are dropping some pretty big dollars into a full store reno on Ellice so that is likely not what the issue was.

The Walmart and Metrotown situation is interesting as the market for large anchor retailers is saturated. If the reports are correct that St Vital is going to do a full demo on the Eaton's space that is likely a smart move as they could then build something better suited to the eventual tenants. In terms of Polo Park, the mall as a whole can't afford to lose those parking spaces for the holiday season so something is going to need to be done to at minimum get those entrances opened up.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 3:13 PM

^ I was under the impression that Walmart preferred to be away from malls so that it could be the property developer, or at least have some interest in that side of things...considering the guaranteed drawing power of their stores I'd be surprised if they didn't have any financial interest in all the other big boxes and strip malls that invariably pop up around them. At a place like St. Vital Centre, they don't get any of that action.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 7:06 PM

Metrotown already has immense drawing power... it's one of those place where you just have to be, if you aren't already. Walkmart isn't needed as an anchor to draw attention, they're making suyre they don't miss out.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 7:29 PM

^ Not sure about Metrotown, but my impression with the St. Vital Walmart is that the company stayed there only for lack of suitable alternative sites in the area. The only places in St. Vital they could really go would be so far south as to put them on the edge of the city and away from established neighbourhoods in south St. Vital.

After all, Walmart did leave every other mall in Winnipeg that they were a part of.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Not sure about Metrotown, but my impression with the St. Vital Walmart is that the company stayed there only for lack of suitable alternative sites in the area. The only places in St. Vital they could really go would be so far south as to put them on the edge of the city and away from established neighbourhoods in south St. Vital.

After all, Walmart did leave every other mall in Winnipeg that they were a part of.
Sorry, I wasn't really disagreeing with you, if that's how I came off. Your reasoning makes sense why they stayed in St V, I didn't give it much thought. But I really understand why they went to Metrotown. One of Canada's better examples of an urban/suburban (what's the word for something in between?) mall.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 12:00 AM

Also Kate Spade New York is Coming To Outlet Collection Winnipeg

Last edited by horrorbro123; Jun 26, 2018 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:

If I recall:
1)St Vital - same location, expanded and closed their mall entrance where SportCheck is now.
2) Crossroads / Regent - move to a new location nearby
3) Garden City Square - move to a new location a couple blocks North.
4) Unicity - move to a new location nearby, once the mall was demoish
5) Grant Park - closed their store replace by a location at Lindenwoods
(a new store open nearby a couple of years ago)
6) Polo Park - new store built
7) Taylor - new store
8) Southdale - new store - took of the space from Target/Zellers/K-Mart

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 6:44 AM

City of Vancouver won't or doesn't want Walmart in the city, they got one because Walmart found a loophole and took over the old Costco location in East Vancouver. In greater Vancouver they probably have more walmarts in malls now, a number of which were former Woolco stores, Surrey has 4 of them within about 10-15 minutes of each other.

I don't think I've ever seen a Walmart in an enclosed mall in the USA before, they will pop up in big box strip mall places though. But most of them are pretty isolated down there.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 8:54 PM

Anyone Know Anything About ...

Anyone know anything about rumors I have heard of late regarding the following:

1. The once For Lease empty restaurant next to Buffet Square across from Boston Pizza on McPhillips is being remodeled. The For Lease sign is gone.

2. Rumor has it that two spots on Leila near the Bus Loop of Garden City Shopping Centre have been leased to two restaurant chains to build opposite Smitty's. This was rumored a long time ago. I am not sure whether to believe this one. It is like the Costco rumor at Murray and McPhillips.

3. Bayfield has okayed the Garden City Shopping Centre empty Sears store to be divided up into 8 units, one being a grocery store of some kind.

Regarding the OC Kate Spade store. I was speaking with Guest Services at the Outlet Collection a week and a half ago. I asked the Representative on duty at that time where the Kate Spade store would be and he responded that he was unaware of such a store. Since I was aware that job opportunities have been offered at this store, it puzzled me as to why he would have told me that he was totally unaware of the Kate Spade store.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 9:23 PM

^Kate Spade thing doesn't surprise me, don't think the leasing agents or mall managers are overly concerned with telling front-line employees about goings-on of the company. When they make it officially public, I'm sure they'll know.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^Kate Spade thing doesn't surprise me, don't think the leasing agents or mall managers are overly concerned with telling front-line employees about goings-on of the company. When they make it officially public, I'm sure they'll know.
If you go to the Outlet Collection Winnipeg website Kate Spade is listed as a new store.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 4:38 AM

Outlet Collection

Also Lacoste recently got their permits to start constructing their location at the outlet mall.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 1:38 PM

^ I think any remaining doubts about whether OC Winnipeg is a "real" outlet mall can be put to rest.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 2:00 PM

....There's still a ton of empty units and independent Alibaba shops.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 2:19 PM
What could go wrong?

99 units, 82 occupied, 17 empty.

4 of those 17 are now leased - Lacoste, Kate Spade, G by Guess, Guess Accessories.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 2:43 PM

There's a 9Round boxing gym moving into the old optometrist on Graham @ Garry – great location!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
^ I think any remaining doubts about whether OC Winnipeg is a "real" outlet mall can be put to rest.
Lol heeeeere we go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
....There's still a ton of empty units and independent Alibaba shops.
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Or whatever appropriate comparison works here, like, um, Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh wasn't built in a day!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Bootlegger Is Closed at polo park
Renovating. Reopening July.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:00 PM

This may not be relative to Winnipeg, but the Sears in Grand Forks has closed its doors… the one in Fargo closed last year. Other than the local Sears hometown store dealers, the closest Sears department store to Winnipeg will now be in Minneapolis. Their future is quickly dissipating (to no surprise).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor202 View Post
This may not be relative to Winnipeg, but the Sears in Grand Forks has closed its doors… the one in Fargo closed last year. Other than the local Sears hometown store dealers, the closest Sears department store to Winnipeg will now be in Minneapolis. Their future is quickly dissipating (to no surprise).
It's such a funny thing, I was at the Mall of America last month and I passed through the Sears there... there was a ton of good deals and decent looking merchandise. But there was hardly anyone in the store. To the point where I wondered how they stayed in business... paying for that much space requires a lot of sales. But somewhere along the way, Sears completely lost its marketing mojo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan