HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 8:57 PM
Movin' on up

Bahahaha! I'm guessing this isn't some sort of April fool's joke, unfortunately.

Sigh.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 8:57 PM
surely you agree with me

more than that....i will let official people make official statements.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 9:10 PM
Movin' on up

Can someone tell me if there were indeed any [recent] public hearings held as to the fate of this site? Is this what the public wants? What is the public opinion? There seems to be an overabundance of hearings for every other small to large scale project that happens in this city, you would think that the same would be done for this project. I haven't heard anything in the sense of public hearings which makes me ask this question thinking that none have occured; am I wrong?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 10:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

other then the the couple debates at city no greco

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 10:33 PM
I am a typical

Awww. You tired.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:00 AM
Back from the dead

If I was in charge of Crystal I'd give the city the finger and tell them to keep their land while I packed up and left for Alberta. This just can't be worth the trouble for them.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
If I was in charge of Crystal I'd give the city the finger and tell them to keep their land while I packed up and left for Alberta. This just can't be worth the trouble for them.
You don't know how funny that really is .....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 3:13 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
You don't know how funny that really is .....
And the reason it's funny is because it's true.

And honestly, I've visited several forum addressing this issue, and based on what I have read, it would seem that Winnipeggers and not happy with the way this situation is being handled. I really think that a public hearing should be held on this subject. And why not? Every other frekin project in this city has hearings because they claim they want to do what's best for the citizens of Winnipeg. If this is the case, then why are there no public hearings scheduled? Why is this park being shoved down people's throats?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 3:18 PM

Angry 100 Main Street

I sure hope the city and province can work with Crystal just like they apparently did with the friends and find another piece of land for them .I see no reason why we cant have BOTH projects!! We need more people living downtown.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 7:23 PM

...This is long past the point of ridiculous. Buy out the gas station, and then you have a location for the interpretive centre, the park and the apartment complex. I'm long past the point of fury on this topic. The complete and utter inflexibility on behalf of Winnipeg's wealthiest in this particular situation is going to result in a very poor development, relative to what could have been.

Lets call this park whats it really going to be. A nice dog park for the residents of West Broadway. Hopefully a pooper-scooper law is enforced.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 7:36 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

So any ideas as to when the news trueviking mentioned is going to be released?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 7:46 PM
Closed account

This?
Quote:
Manitoba Metis Federation has contributed $1 million to the Friends of Upper Fort Garry.
MMF president David Chartrand's announcement today put the organization's total fundraising at $8.2 million dollars.
That's $2.8 million short of the $10 million they need to raise by Monday if they are to secure the birth site of Manitoba, including a parcel of land adjacent to the 19th century fur trade fort that will otherwise be sold to a high rise developer.
Given Doer's statements today, I think Crystal can kiss their apartment goodbye. It's over.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 8:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
This?

Given Doer's statements today, I think Crystal can kiss their apartment goodbye. It's over.

So in other words, we can expect nothing to happen. The "Friends" will certainly fuck this thing up some how, it will turn into an even bigger circus than it already is (if that is even possible) and the developer who was to build 200+ apartments, to bring more peole downtown will sue the city for breaking a legal contract costing us taxpayer money out of our pockets.

....not to mention the fact that now I, as a taxpayer will have to fund this thing yearly to make it run so the rich at the Manitoba club (re "Friends") will have something nice to look at as they eat dinner.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 8:12 PM

I would love for someone in the media to publish what this deal is really about: phase 2 the Manitoba Club's "Building Traditions" renovation plans.

Here's part of phase 1's renovations:

And quoted from their website (full text here):
Quote:
Phase 2, which will begin mid 2008, will include ... a complete upgrade of the Fort Garry Gate Dining Room
why would anyone want a high-rise apartment with its pesky inhabitants looking down on our rooftop patio, when you could have an unimpeded view of the river forest with your very own world-class backyard.

i hope the curling club sticks it to 'em and holds out for millions.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 8:41 PM
Movin' on up

This waste of a space park will do nothing except attract hobo's and degenerates, and punk kid vandals who will destroy the interprative centre, and also serve as yet another area to deal drugs and fight their turf wars in. At least with an appartment complex on the site, there would have been more eyes watching out for shit like that.

I solumly vow never to set foot on that site in my entire life; ever

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:31 PM
ILYR

After doing some extensive undercover investigation I found the plans for the REAL Friends fort plan.
Here it is ...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:42 PM
Mooderator

^ ha!

Will the friends be able to scrounge up the additional $1.8 million by Monday?

The air is thick with suspense..

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:44 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
From vacant lot -> 30 story skyscraper -> 20 story midrise -> to restored fort -> and back to vacant lot.
And so the cycle of mediocrity in this once great city continues..

I can't help but to think that the blame for this lies squarely at the hands of the media and their sloppy job reporting of the facts.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Mar 28, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:48 PM

And in breaking news...................

Developer walks away from fort site

By: Bartley Kives

Updated: March 28 at 04:23 PM CDT

The Friends of Upper Fort Garry no longer need to scramble to raise cash for a heritage park on the site of Winnipeg's birthplace because the apartment developer promised a chunk of that land has agreed to step aside.

Crystal Developers has agreed to give the Friends two more years to meet a $10 million fundraising deadline that was originally slated to expire on Monday.

This effectively means the volunteer group will gain access to all of the land it desired, ending a sometimes bitter city hall saga that pitted downtown housing proponents against heritage advocates for nearly a year.

Crystal Developers owner Rubin Spletzer said he was offered no financial incentives to walk away from a $1.2 million deal to purchase a parcel of surplus city land at the corner of Fort Street and Assiniboine Avenue, which the Friends covet as the site of an interpretive centre.

Instead, he felt it was the right thing to do as a citizen of Winnipeg. His company will now pursue plans for a development along Sterling Lyon Parkway, but will soon look for somewhere else in downtown Winnipeg to build some form of apartment building.

His actions were praised by Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz and Friends spokesman Jerry Gray, who joked his group will raise $300 million over the next two years, given the fact they were able to raise $8.2 million from public and private sources over the past 106 days.

The latest donation came today from the Manitoba Metis Federation, which contributed $1 million to the Friends of Upper Fort Garry.

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.online View Post
I would love for someone in the media to publish what this deal is really about: phase 2 the Manitoba Club's "Building Traditions" renovation plans.

Here's part of phase 1's renovations:

And quoted from their website (full text here):

why would anyone want a high-rise apartment with its pesky inhabitants looking down on our rooftop patio, when you could have an unimpeded view of the river forest with your very own world-class backyard.

i hope the curling club sticks it to 'em and holds out for millions.
This information should be given to the media! Raise a stink! Let the public know that the Rich elite really only care about their precious club. Sneaky untrustworthy NIMBYS of the worst kind! The Fort is just a convenient sob-story excuse to hide their real ambitions behind.

The worst part is that this outdoor dining plan will probably fail anyways because of mosquitos and urban noise and nosey onlookers (myself included Muahahaha.... Just you wait... just you wait...)

Honestly, I can't even begin to put into words the anger I feel towards the @#$% sneaky Friends and their puppets in the media.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan