HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:42 PM

Not sure what to put there (and there can only be so many coffee shops), but, with the renovation of the northern "apron," they need some amenity at the northeast corner of the square.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
I am glad they are adding to it but I miss the days we used to skate board in Love Park & at City Hall. Now it's just a bunch of well off people walking around ordering coffee and reading. SMH.
I love that philly is getting developed but I hate that it's at the expense of its culture a lot of times.
I am afraid we will eventually become a bland McManhattan.

Dilworth has been a smashing success. The area finally shows off City Hall in all its glory.
If you want to complain about LOVE Park's emptiness fine-- but the park was falling apart. And it's not like skaters even skated there that often anymore. A few on the weekend at most.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Dilworth has been a smashing success. The area finally shows off City Hall in all its glory.
If you want to complain about LOVE Park's emptiness fine-- but the park was falling apart. And it's not like skaters even skated there that often anymore. A few on the weekend at most.
...and it had turned into a homeless camp. I'm ok departing from that "culture".

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
...and it had turned into a homeless camp. I'm ok departing from that "culture".
Well, they just moved a few hundred yards away to North Broad Street, at the Church just north of the Masonic Temple. With a hotel and convention center next door, I'm not sure it's much of an improvement, frankly.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 6:42 PM

Love how much Dillworth has changed over these past few years. Really ties the city together.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Well, they just moved a few hundred yards away to North Broad Street, at the Church just north of the Masonic Temple. With a hotel and convention center next door, I'm not sure it's much of an improvement, frankly.
Fair point. I was more discouraging waxing nostalgic about skateboarding on a broken, urine soaked plaza.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 8:03 PM

I don't recall it being a homeless magnet prior to the skateboarding ban but I could be wrong.

From what I remember, Love Park was fine as a skate park and of course, a cultural icon. Then the city started to enforce a no-skateboarding policy in the hopes that ordinary folks would use the park. But because of poor design, that didn't happen and so naturally, the homeless moved in - it was hidden from the street, centrally located, and devoid of people.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 8:28 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Paine's (skate) Park is not a bad consolation prize for the loss of the original Love skate park. The new Love park is a nice park. I had previously posted tons of photos of it. I do think over time, that it will be well used. The welcoming saucer is unfinished the last time I saw it. Maybe that is affecting its attendance. But overall the construction of it was for the greater good.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 8:38 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Paine's (skate) Park is not a bad consolation prize for the loss of the original Love skate park. The new Love park is a nice park. I had previously posted tons of photos of it. I do think over time, that it will be well used. The welcoming saucer is unfinished the last time I saw it. Maybe that is affecting its attendance.
Christmas Village at the new Love Park seems to be doing really well (although that's likely independent of the renovations done to the park itself). The saucer is still unfinished, and it doesn't really seem like they're making much progress on it. Not really sure what's going on tbh, but I wish they'd finish it up already. Will be nice when that corner is finally done.

Also, there's one corner of the park that's a beer garden now as part of the Christmas Village. They should at least consider doing pop-up beer gardens there a few weekends over the summer. Would help bring some additional life to that part of the Parkway on days when it's otherwise pretty quiet.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 8:52 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Christmas Village at the new Love Park seems to be doing really well (although that's likely independent of the renovations done to the park itself). The saucer is still unfinished, and it doesn't really seem like they're making much progress on it. Not really sure what's going on tbh, but I wish they'd finish it up already. Will be nice when that corner is finally done.

Also, there's one corner of the park that's a beer garden now as part of the Christmas Village. They should at least consider doing pop-up beer gardens there a few weekends over the summer. Would help bring some additional life to that part of the Parkway on days when it's otherwise pretty quiet.
Agreed! And beer gardens in the warmer months always attracts a crowd.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:14 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

More coming soon:

5 stories, 14 units southeast corner of 27th and Girard
6 stories, 25 units 952-56 N 3rd
32 units at 1519 N 33rd

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
More coming soon:

32 units at 1519 N 33rd
This one is particularly interesting! I know that some still consider this area to be Brewerytown, but a lot of people also consider this area to be Strawberry Mansion. Development is going to hit The Mansion hard in the coming years, I can feel it!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
More coming soon:

32 units at 1519 N 33rd
There's finally some movement at the huge lot at 27th and Girard?? That's huge news for the corridor!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:28 PM

All of these are great news. Glad to see more multi-family housing going up (especially on that empty lot on Girard. I personally think they should build a 10 story apartment building on the rest of that massive lot but that's probably just me).

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:50 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
There's finally some movement at the huge lot at 27th and Girard?? That's huge news for the corridor!
Not the huge lot, the smaller one at the southeast corner of 27th and Girard. The big one was being shopped around to developers earlier this year but was too expensive for most to take the gamble on-- I'm not sure what the status of it is right now but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has it under contract.

Quote:
This one is particularly interesting! I know that some still consider this area to be Brewerytown, but a lot of people also consider this area to be Strawberry Mansion. Development is going to hit The Mansion hard in the coming years, I can feel it!
The lot a few doors south of the one I mentioned is getting a 17 unit building so that block is going to get pretty busy soon. The rest of Strawberry Mansion is going to take awhile but the housing stock there is great. There has already been some resistance from old time residents there and unlike some other neighborhoods, a larger proportion own their homes.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Not the huge lot, the smaller one at the southeast corner of 27th and Girard. The big one was being shopped around to developers earlier this year but was too expensive for most to take the gamble on-- I'm not sure what the status of it is right now but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has it under contract.
The southeast corner of 27th and Girard is the big one. The smaller lot at the northeast corner of Taney and Poplar is already available for sale of million dollar homes: https://edgewiserealty.com/projects/...rmount-estates

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 7:14 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmountFellow View Post
The southeast corner of 27th and Girard is the big one. The smaller lot at the northeast corner of Taney and Poplar is already available for sale of million dollar homes: https://edgewiserealty.com/projects/...rmount-estates
You're right, my bad. I meant 2616-28 W Girard, southeast corner of Taney and Girard.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Paine's (skate) Park is not a bad consolation prize for the loss of the original Love skate park. The new Love park is a nice park. I had previously posted tons of photos of it. I do think over time, that it will be well used. The welcoming saucer is unfinished the last time I saw it. Maybe that is affecting its attendance. But overall the construction of it was for the greater good.
December is affecting attendance- my guess. Hard to judge park success in winter......

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:13 AM

What's this building? It appears to be around 58th and Market.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
What's this building? It appears to be around 58th and Market.
A development called New Market West at 5901 Market. here is a CDR submission from 2017. 5-story with Retail, Office, and 41 apartments. Good looking Transit Oriented Development. Thanks for the pic Mr Saturn, cool to see it coming along.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development