HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Construction drywall has gone up, covering the space behind Roots and lululemon

Apparently the hot rumour is that the renovations are for a Dieppe location for Pur & Simple.

This is plausible:

1) - There have been rumours around now for several months that Pur & Simple was going to open a second metro location in Dieppe.
2) - Their current location on Mountain Road has been a hit.
3) - While Pur & Simple certainly does not keep typical mall hours, they certainly would be quite popular with the lunchtime crowd, especially with 1100 hungry workers at the soon-to-be-opened TD Corporate Banking Centre. I suppose that Pur & Simple could always extend their hours somewhat. I believe they already did this with their Mountain Road location......
4) - They open very early in the morning, but at this location, they could have an external entrance, so this would not be a problem. Also, they open the mall in the early morning for the "mall walkers". Maybe they hope to catch some of the walkers who may want to socialize over tea or breakfast.
If this is the case they could probably add a door direct to the outside, and a door into the mall.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 1:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hyba activewear at Champlain Place is going to close after Christmas.

This is not really news. Reitmans announced the closure of the entire chain about nine months ago. We just now have a firm closure date.

I wonder what other stores will close after Christmas. There's always a couple......

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Hyba activewear at Champlain Place is going to close after Christmas.

This is not really news. Reitmans announced the closure of the entire chain about nine months ago. We just now have a firm closure date.

I wonder what other stores will close after Christmas. There's always a couple......
Pretty high traffic location, it won’t stay empty for long. We’re lucky it has been full this long as it’s the former location of Reitmans.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 3:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A few pertinent posts from the Moncton Northwest thread over a potential significant development in the Home Depot parking lot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdesign View Post
Anyone know what they are building in the far end of the home depot parking lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemnin View Post
Hello there.

Supposed to be a Milestones. Boss told me about it a few days ago, seemed confident.
Quote:

Welcome to the forums.

The Milestone's rumour has been floating around Moncton for several years, most recently associated with the land adjacent to the new Holiday Inn on Mapleton next to the TCH, but I have a strong suspicion that proposal has fallen through.

Is your boss well placed enough to actually be knowledgeable on whether or not Milestones might locate here instead???
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemnin View Post
I work for a steel fabricator that has done some work at restaurants in the area. Usually countertops, railings and other finishing touches. We did some stuff for Kelsey's.
Quote:
Given the recent buzz, I went out of my way at lunchtime to have a look at what's going on......

The way that they are scraping off the topsoil on this lot, I think it's more of an actual building construction site rather than anything to do with culvert installation.

This site probably is big enough for something like a Milestone's, especially since the surrounding parking lot is ample enough that no additional parking is necessary.

Since stemnin is in the construction industry, and his boss should be knowledgeable, we should keep an eye on this one. Again, Cara had been looking for a Milestone's franchisee in Moncton in the past, so we know they are interested. I don't think that the dual pad restaurant complex adjacent to the new Holiday Inn is going to happen anymore. If Milestone's is still on the table, they could be looking at building in the Home Depot parking lot. This pad is right next to the Wheeler on/off ramp from Carson, has good visibility and would be right next door to St Hubert, and across the parking lot from Montana's. A new restaurant here is certainly plausible
Quote:
Regarding the activity on that pad in the Home Depot parking lot, this topic is also being discussed on Retail Talk & Share as well (although it was first brought up as a topic on our site).

Anyway, one of their contributors apparently talked to a contractor on the site and was told it was going to be a "restaurant". I think the credence of the Milestone's rumour just went up a notch......

I might move a few of the relevant posts here to the "Retail" thread since this would be a significant development in a major retail district. All further posts on this topic perhaps should take place in the retail thread.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 8:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo of the new Costco parking lot taken on a "slow" Monday afternoon (today). They may have underbuilt the parking lot.

Photo found on the Colliers International FB page (agents for the Granite Centre).

Long line-ups for gas from the gas bar too........

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 12:32 AM

Patricio's Gourmet Pizza N Wings has open at 23 Killam Drive.

For those wondering that is the old Convenience store turn Chinese Restaurant, turned Indian Restaurant, then turned to Asian Garden now it's the New Patricio's.

Also the Diamond Chinese Restaurant corner of Mountain Rd, and Cedar has been re-listed for sale. I'm guessing the fact it's a small converted house with a 3 bed apartment less a kitchen is a big deterrent.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 9:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Signage has gone up for Wrap City "Urban Sandwicherie" in the Mapleton Centre.

This business is still far from opening day, but the signage has gone up nonetheless.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

It appears they are starting work on a new separate exterior entrance for the presumed Pur & Simple restaurant located next to the mall entrance behind Roots at CF Champlain.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:10 AM

Quote:
It appears they are starting work on a new separate exterior entrance for the presumed Pur & Simple restaurant located next to the mall entrance behind Roots at CF Champlain.
Just curious where you heard it was Pur & Simple? Not saying your wrong, as you’re often not wrong, just wondering where you heard it.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Just curious where you heard it was Pur & Simple? Not saying your wrong, as you’re often not wrong, just wondering where you heard it.
In this case, just a strong second hand rumour, but it seems entirely plausible.

Often times one of the best sources of news is workers elsewhere in the mall. In addition, it's been pretty well known for some time that Pur & Simple wanted a second metro location. Initially, it appeared it might be Pinewood Plaza in Riverview, but this fell through, and attention shifted to Dieppe. The Champlain Place neighbourhood was a principle choice, and I think that the TD Corporate Banking Centre could have influenced them to consider Champlain Place itself. There would be lots of hungry workers at lunch time.

If you're asking me however if I know for sure it is Pur & Simple - no, I can't give you that assurance, but the force is strong with this particular rumour........

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:26 PM

Pur & Simple is nice enough, but a traditional sit down all day bar and grill type of restaurant would be better for a mall location. Pur & Simple and Cora are not all day types of establishments. Malls are trying to attract round the clock businesses that will bring foot traffic during the daytime and evening, this is not it. If I was the leasing manager, this would not have been my choice. Just a thought.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Dec 13, 2018 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:18 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

I imagine if Pur & Simple is opening at the mall they must be opening for the malls hours at a minimum if not earlier for a breakfast crowd. I can't see how its beneficial for them to close at 3pm every day but they are 100% opening a Dieppe location regardless of where it is. Will be interesting to see what happens

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:25 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
I imagine if Pur & Simple is opening at the mall they must be opening for the malls hours at a minimum if not earlier for a breakfast crowd. I can't see how its beneficial for them to close at 3pm every day but they are 100% opening a Dieppe location regardless of where it is. Will be interesting to see what happens
What difference would it make if they are in Champlain mall or a strip mall if they are closing at 3pm? The mall would still have more traffic than a stand alone location. If they have an exterior entrance they also have parking galore. The only downfall is Champlain mall is expensive rent but with all of the foot traffic they may be able to make a good go of it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Went to Kelsey's in Wheeler Park for the first time.

Holy Crap - the place is abut twice as large on the inside as you would expect when looking at it from the outside. I think they must have built this restaurant inside a tardis..........

Good food, nice decor, attentive staff.

The restaurant was busy when we arrived, and there as a line-up out the door when we left. I think Kelsey's will do quite well.........

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 1:00 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
What difference would it make if they are in Champlain mall or a strip mall if they are closing at 3pm? The mall would still have more traffic than a stand alone location. If they have an exterior entrance they also have parking galore. The only downfall is Champlain mall is expensive rent but with all of the foot traffic they may be able to make a good go of it.
Fine let me restate that then. It would be more beneficial to the mall to have a tenant open 11 hours instead of whatever amount Pur & Simple might be

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Went to Kelsey's in Wheeler Park for the first time.

Holy Crap - the place is abut twice as large on the inside as you would expect when looking at it from the outside. I think they must have built this restaurant inside a tardis..........

Good food, nice decor, attentive staff.

The restaurant was busy when we arrived, and there as a line-up out the door when we left. I think Kelsey's will do quite well.........
LOL this exactly mirrors our experience when we visited for the first time last week.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 9:22 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
LOL this exactly mirrors our experience when we visited for the first time last week.
Same here lol, funny how that works huh . My wife and I went on Thursday night.

Last edited by MonctonianSentinel01; Dec 15, 2018 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 9:25 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Fine let me restate that then. It would be more beneficial to the mall to have a tenant open 11 hours instead of whatever amount Pur & Simple might be
Ah ok because your first post was what was best for Pur & Simple not the mall, but yeah I don't think that a small area like that will do much against the mall for not being open the same hours.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 11:57 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
... I don't think that a small area like that will do much against the mall for not being open the same hours.
Shoppers will go for breakfast/lunch and then shop all day. The mall doesn't gain traffic from late eaters who want a sit down supper.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Shoppers will go for breakfast/lunch and then shop all day. The mall doesn't gain traffic from late eaters who want a sit down supper.
They did when Don Cherry's was in there by Woolco/Walmart.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces