HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:44 PM

Next
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
New page.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 6:26 PM

Has anyone gone for a walk through the square or in the building?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 10:28 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I was at the corner of Graham @ Hargrave around Noon today.

I saw the one corner open but inside the "fence" was construction still going on.

I don't know if the skywalk to TNS is open or not yet. I'm at the downtown Library now, so I will take another peek later on. I'll see if the skywalk is open or not and will report my findings back here.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 10:59 PM
keep the good times going

Took a walk through on my way home, the pics aren't great but the space sure seems cool!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmop8hUP (I don't know how to post these to ssp).

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Took a walk through on my way home, the pics aren't great but the space sure seems cool!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmop8hUP (I don't know how to post these to ssp).
Here you go!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:05 AM
BANNED

I have to admit. I love the fins on the windows. It adds a lot to the design. Especially when the sun hits the glass.

I just wonder what the sun will be like at certain times of the year for reflection onto the square and other building. One building in England had this issue and it pretty much cooked the people lol. Then another had such a horrid wind tunnel affect it blew people over.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:17 AM
keep the good times going

Thanks WpgGuy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I have to admit. I love the fins on the windows. It adds a lot to the design. Especially when the sun hits the glass.
I totally agree with you. The fins look very cool from the square below and the curves of the building really make them more unique.

It was pretty hot in there though, probably didn't help that it was 28 out but I wonder if TNS 3 and 4 will provide more shade in the square once they're finished. Or if the fountain and trees they add will help cool the square.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 4:43 AM

Love the silver panelling – wish they would have done it around all the garage doors. Love the orange. It’s pretty cool how close the two towers come together.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:28 PM

Strange, the new glass panels going in have what look like an operating window where all the lower levels have particle board.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 5:11 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^I wonder if they were having fitment or operating issues with the missing panels that were recently resolved.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:52 PM

Yeah, maybe they didn't have the man power to do the operating windows in tandem with the curtain wall.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 9:24 PM

Today they installed an entire row of windows without plywood pieces!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 9:41 PM

@perkinswill_VAN Twitter
So much progress on @truenorthsquare!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:35 PM

i enjoy this building. seems like only days ago it was still all boarded up and still was having a hard time envisioning what it would look like in the courtyard area. so cool.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:07 PM

I walked through the plaza this weekend and does it ever look gorgeous.

I was wondering how intrusive it would feel if the person in the corner office closest to tower 2 on the top floor was looking into the closest suite to Tower 1. There isn't much distance between the two. I can only imagine getting out bed late during the week commando only to lock eye with the lawyer in his office. At which point does it become indecent exposure?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 9:30 PM

Kristhine G (@gyk26) on Instagram

The Plaid Ographer (@theplaidographer) on Instagram

Anthony Urso (@anthony_urso) on Instagram

Joel S (@jdpsnow) on Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jul 9, 2018 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:34 PM

K I LOVE those new tree guards – both the design and the fact they have them at all. They should be going everywhere downtown and on busy pedestrian corridors where sidewalks can be tight. Broadway seems to be the only street they're sparingly used.

Not only do they look good, and can tie in streetscaping elements – but they're very useful. Considering how many of our downtown/busy area trees are struggling, it always baffles me how little proactive care the city puts into our trees. Often end up living in a pile of sand – yet you go to Regina, Saskatoon, Minneapolis, and most street trees are well taken care of, with younger ones having high-quality trunk protection (woven tarps, etc), and not just a plastic rain pipe that's never removed when the tree outgrows it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
K I LOVE those new tree guards – both the design and the fact they have them at all. They should be going everywhere downtown and on busy pedestrian corridors where sidewalks can be tight. Broadway seems to be the only street they're sparingly used.

Not only do they look good, and can tie in streetscaping elements – but they're very useful. Considering how many of our downtown/busy area trees are struggling, it always baffles me how little proactive care the city puts into our trees. Often end up living in a pile of sand – yet you go to Regina, Saskatoon, Minneapolis, and most street trees are well taken care of, with younger ones having high-quality trunk protection (woven tarps, etc), and not just a plastic rain pipe that's never removed when the tree outgrows it.
I also noticed that when a dead tree is removed, the city rarely replaces it. Example the center boulevard on Main St between 360 Main and BellMTS.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I also noticed that when a dead tree is removed, the city rarely replaces it. Example the center boulevard on Main St between 360 Main and BellMTS.
I imagine it is cost prohibitive to replace when it dies. You likely have to wait until there is road work because the roots grow under the sidewalk and can't be removed without damaging it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
the city just planted a bunch of white willow trees in the centre median of portage. they can do quite well on major routes (as seen on Pembina). problem is, they already look dead as the city hasn't watered them enough in this heat *womp womp*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan