HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
^^^what a monumental waste of money.....it looks ridiculous.

Ha. I'm starting to realize that this thing is going to be eviscerated by the press. I still believe that it will become a beloved landmark, and someday it will easily shed the thoughtless poison heaped upon it; but I fear the chorus of boos will do irreparable harm to an already cachectic civic spirit. Yes, things should have been done differently. Not shutting down the subway, while an incredible feat of engineering, likely wasted many hundreds of millions of dollars. It really is gorgeous though. A cathedral to the movement of people. The small congregation doesn't bother me at all. This city needs more cathedrals like this one.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 1:25 PM
BANNED

I look at it as an apology from the city for what they did to Penn Station. NYC deserves this. Plus, the value of inspiring people who will walk through this daily will exceed the cost tenfold. You must think long term. I imagine not a single person making their way through will not stop and realize where they are, unlike a trip through your standard subway connection. Besides, nearly everything we build is done on a stringent budget. This is America. Once in a while we're entitled to something grand. 49% of us pay too much in taxes not to set aside a little extra for a Cadillac.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I look at it as an apology from the city for what they did to Penn Station. NYC deserves this. Plus, the value of inspiring people who will walk through this daily will exceed the cost tenfold. You must think long term. I imagine not a single person making their way through will not stop and realize where they are, unlike a trip through your standard subway connection. Besides, nearly everything we build is done on a stringent budget. This is America. Once in a while we're entitled to something grand. 49% of us pay too much in taxes not to set aside a little extra for a Cadillac.
But this isn't even one of the must used station in NYC is it? It's just the PATH stop for the WTC. There must be plenty of subway stations with more traffic.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:38 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

By far the busiest is the Times Square station subway wise. Next naturally being Grand Central and the 34th stop by Herald Square. The stations around MSG are some of the busiest as well but Times Square takes the cake.

Canal Street station is probably the most complex or up there. Many different lines run under it. PATH though itself would probably rank 3rd or 4th in terms of station traffic. I think somewhere in the line of 250k plus use the system. Although not everybody is stopping at WTC. but its still a high number.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Except when you stop and consider how many other ways that amount of money could actually have been used to improve the transit system as a whole

$5 billion.

You could have built entirely new subway lines for that. Its such an unconscionable number for a single station. I dont think most people can even truly comprehend it. And the city isnt even getting the original elegant design. What was once a bird in flight is now the ribcage of a beached dinosaur.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Feb 6, 2015 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:19 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 1:31 AM

Ugh… that intrusive 'Candy Crush' banner certainly classes the place up. It's bad enough they milk kids out of their parents' money, but now they have to put up an ad so big it looks like some garish wallpaper.

Anyway, besides that, coming along nicely!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 1:55 PM
New Yorker for life

I was beginning to think this would never happen...

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/...new-life-.html

Cortlandt Street Station, Destroyed in 9/11, to Get New Life

By Jose Martinez
February 23, 2015

Quote:
Beneath the site of the World Trade Center is a ghost station. Riders on southbound one trains can see the outlines of the Cortlandt Street stop, which has been closed since September 11th.

After the station was destroyed along with the World Trade Center, there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said Monday they hope to reopen the station in 2018.

"This is a station that was directly underneath the Twin Towers. So you can imagine the level of devastation and the amount of time and work that it took just to clean up the station," said MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz.

Full service on the 1 line resumed a year after the attack, with trains bypassing the station.

The Port Authority, which owns the site, began the rebuilding project and the MTA on Monday agreed to finish the $100 million project—making it look like a station again. It's complex work.

"It would have been easier to just shut it down and then build it from bottom up," said Steven Plate of WTC Construction.

The Cortlandt Street stop served 19,000 straphangers every weekday, about five million a year.

Riders have had to find other ways to get around.

"Everything here has been completely messed up since 9/11," said one rider.

"Most people who commute from Lower Manhattan have gotten used to the inconvenience of not having the 1 train. So yeah, it would be great if it could open sooner," said another.

The work will take place behind these walls in the Port Authority's costly new Transportation Hub, which eventually will link PATH service to 11 subway lines.

"Everything has to be done via underground. Materials have to be brought in via train, which makes this a bit more complicated," said Ortiz.

That translates to no 1 trains south of Chambers Street on weekends, when the work will be done.

At least an end is in sight, though.

Once the Cortlandt Street along the 1 line finally reopens, it will be the 473rd station in the MTA subway system. This after the opening of the 7 train extention to 34th Street/Hudson Yards and the three new stations along the Second Avenue Subway.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 3:26 PM

I thought they had already built much of the Cortlandt St station, at least the shell of it. I would think there wouldn't be much work beyond fit out of things like tile / electronics. Hopefully it'll be early 2018 at the latest. 3 more years is a really long time to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
By far the busiest is the Times Square station subway wise. Next naturally being Grand Central and the 34th stop by Herald Square. The stations around MSG are some of the busiest as well but Times Square takes the cake.

Canal Street station is probably the most complex or up there. Many different lines run under it. PATH though itself would probably rank 3rd or 4th in terms of station traffic. I think somewhere in the line of 250k plus use the system. Although not everybody is stopping at WTC. but its still a high number.
As others have said, the terminal was built for the future. As Jersey City continues to build luxury high rises over every open parking lot, you'll see ridership to WTC increase steadily. As the WTC towers open and tenants move in, you'll see ridership increase. Once the 1 train returns you'll see ridership increase. Don't forget that the hub will connect to the E, N, R directly as well as the A,C,2,3,4,5,J,Z via the Fulton Transit Center. It'll also be the most heavily trafficked mall in NYC.

The price tag is painfully high, and the dino rib-cage is a departure from the soaring wings in flight, but I think at the end of the day it'll still be a marvelous space that will be cherished for generations long after the sting of the price tag fades into obscurity.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 7:20 PM

The transit center is defiantly going to be stunning. Between this and Fulton Center, Lower Manhattan should be set for the rest of the century. At least, the WTC area. Quite literally no cost is being spared.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
The transit center is defiantly going to be stunning. Between this and Fulton Center, Lower Manhattan should be set for the rest of the century. At least, the WTC area. Quite literally no cost is being spared.
Scrapped 20 million dollar radome spire notwithstanding I take it?

The transit hub also had some budget cutbacks (specifically concerning the construction and features of its "wings"). But it does look like it'll be nice… only a little compromised compared to the rest of the complex.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 10:03 PM

I don't get it, a lot of people keep complaining it looks like a dinosaur skeleton rather than a soaring bird but it looks exactly like the models and renderings said it would. There's been some changes to the interior structure and some minor changes to the exterior but overall, the oculus looks pretty much the same so far.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1217 View Post
I don't get it, a lot of people keep complaining it looks like a dinosaur skeleton rather than a soaring bird but it looks exactly like the models and renderings said it would. There's been some changes to the interior structure and some minor changes to the exterior but overall, the oculus looks pretty much the same so far.
I personally don't see it as a big deal (certainly nothing like One WTC's spire fiasco), but the design did get simplified compared to the initial plans. It's still a triumph they managed to get such an ambitious project done and (mostly) intact.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 3:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

============================
Credit: FieldCondition

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:16 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:54 AM

is any parts of the underground shopping area open??
next to the WTC 4 building.....
http://animalnewyork.com/2015/exclus...portation-hub/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 9:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
The flurry of retrospective analysis after Santiago Calatrava's proverbial camel of a World Trade Center Transportation Hub topped out back in November may have seemed to indicate that the project was near completion. But, as evidenced by some photos taken by one brave ANIMAL NewYork reporter who found his way past the steel bird wing thingies, the vastly over-budget hub is still far from finished. According to the Port Authority (which is greeeeat at following through with deadlines), the hub should open by late 2015.
=============================
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...tation_hub.php

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 9:47 AM

Is the discoloration (rust?) on the stegosaurus something they will correct? I hope so. Unlike some, I actually like the design. It's interesting.

Last edited by jsbrook; Mar 9, 2015 at 10:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 10:00 AM
BANNED

Based on their pace of construction the "late 2015" timeline seems pretty unlikely to me. Maybe if they half-ass it like they did with the Fulton Center and don't have any of the retail open they can get it done by the end of the year, but I'm not holding my breath on even that much of an accomplishment.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:57 PM

Calatrava's World Trade Center Hub Is a 'Glorious Boondoggle

Thursday, March 12, 2015
Zoe Rosenberg

Quote:
Santiago Calatrava's World Trade Center Transportation Hub has been referred to as many things, amongst them a "self-indulgent monstrosity," a "kitsch stegosaurus," and "LOL-ugly." It has also been endlessly derided for doubling its budget, making it the most expensive train station in history. Now, for NY Mag, Andrew Rice adds his two cents to the ongoing debate of the hub's architectural merit, the role of Calatrava's ego in its completion, and the calamitous process behind its rise, acknowledging that the project is indeed a "boondoggle" but a glorious one at that. In no less than 5,000 words, Rice expresses what he sums up so succinctly in one straightforward sentence, "Of course, you can simultaneously admire the design's ambition and wonder whether it was worthwhile." Now, the most informative, telling, and humorous lines from Rice's epic retrospective.

1) "Calatrava expects the building—and its architect—to be vindicated once the public is able to experience it in full."

2) "No recent addition to the cityscape has aspired to combine public utility and aesthetic daring to the same degree."

3) "While much of what's been built at the World Trade Center is sealed off as fortified office buildings or dedicated to commemorating deaths, Calatrava's subterranean expanse is supposed to be animated by the bustle of everyday life."

4) "'If we were looking at it today,' says Patrick Foye, the [Port Authority's] executive director, 'we might come to different judgments about how those dollars ought to be spent.' In private, Foye is apparently openly hostile to the project. 'He thinks it's a boondoggle,' says a former government official who remains engaged with the redevelopment of the World Trade Center. Even if so, once you're inside, it's a magnificent boondoggle."

5) 'We wanted to give the sense that it is not the tower that makes the place,' Calatrava said, referring to One World Trade Center, 'but the station.'"

6) "'I was also chosen,' [Calatrava] added, 'because I presented an idea.' That idea—a soaring response to the September 11 attacks—was initially irresistible. Two powerful currents came together to whisk the project forward: the heightened emotions of the time, and the unique internal political culture of the Port Authority."

7) "Calatrava proved to be a master of shifting political dynamics, charming and winning over one decision-maker after another. 'He's quite devastating,' says one of the other architects involved in the redevelopment. 'Probably no architect in New York can come on as strong and as cleverly as he.'"

8) On the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and Calatrava's bargaining power: "'They were enamored of Santiago Calatrava,' says Joseph Seymour, the Port Authority's executive director at the time. 'Some people have suggested he's the da Vinci of our time.' Early on, that comparison was thrown around a lot. 'If there was anybody who thought it was overkill or unnecessarily expensive,' says another former PA official, 'it would have been so politically impossible to say that.'"

9) "Calatrava told me that it wasn't his job to monitor the budget."

10) "A decade ago, Calatrava would have made any short list of the world's most esteemed architects. Today, many within the profession are aghast at what they see as his irresponsibility. When I spoke with his peers, more than one used the derisive phrase 'capital-A architecture.'"

11) "'Calatrava is a very high-risk architect,' says a former government appointee who was involved at the time. 'He does stuff that by its very nature is expensive, and anyone could see that when you saw that design. I'm astounded that it actually got built.'"

12) "After vociferous argument with the designers of the memorial and its board chairman, Michael Bloomberg, Calatrava gave up on the idea of having natural light shine through glass set in the plaza into the PATH Hall below, because it interfered with the mayor's priority: planting trees. 'You have to live with the necessities of other people,' Calatrava told me, saying that he's now reconciled to the foliage."

13) "A financier and film producer, Lipper told me he examined the hub as a case study before proposing internal-governance reforms. 'You can't hide behind the fact that the star wants to do it his way. In the end, the responsibility is with management. You have to take a cold hard look at all this and say, 'Hey, on paper it looks nice. But, buddy, it's not going to work, because we can't afford it.' "

14) "Whatever you think of the PATH station, it won't end up looking banal."

15) "'He's one of the great designers,' says Mitchell Moss, director of NYU's Rudin Center for Transportation. 'But this is a fucking train to Jersey.'"

16) "Someday, Libeskind thinks, people will revel in Calatrava's creation and the controversies will be forgotten."

17) "After September 11, in a rare show of collective will, New York had demanded a stirring architectural statement at the World Trade Center. And then it changed its mind."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture