HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 9:42 PM
heavy user of walkability

Market St Place

speaking of Market, socketsite had this, which mentions

Quote:
demolition of the existing Mid-Market buildings on the Market Street Place site could start as early as this month, according to the San Francisco Business Times.
the SF Biz Times article mostly discusses whether Nordstrom Rack will end up at Market St Place, or down the street at 901 Market, where Marshalls used to be (at Fifth).

here's a 'before' shot, lest we soon forget what we are missing (haha)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 10:08 PM

over on Fifth, they've begun installing the cladding on the UOP Dental Building (that was fast; I'm thinking of the redo at Third and Folsom and that thing has sat, stripped, for months, with little visible progress. edit: I was forgetting they added stories, too. but wasn't that done a while back?)

looking east toward the corner of Fifth and Folsom:

and across Folsom, the fire station that will replace the one being demolished as part of the MOMA expansion looks almost done:

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 6:14 AM

Fire Station

timbad - nice set of pics. The fire station looks like a cool building. I don't get that way often anymore.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:50 AM
urbanphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Easy as pieWhere are those people going to park who support the arts?
With-in two blocks there is one of the City's largest public parking garage, BART, Muni, Muni Metro, and a plethora of parking garages. Why in God's name are you worried about rich people find a parking space?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 8:13 PM

Civic Center Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA View Post
With-in two blocks there is one of the City's largest public parking garage, BART, Muni, Muni Metro, and a plethora of parking garages. Why in God's name are you worried about rich people find a parking space?
The fact is many more people are coming into the neighborhood with the Jazz Club opening at the same time that parking lots are slated to be closed due to new developments. I could be wrong, but I think parking will be difficult. Also a new venue is opening in the former school building at the corner of Hayes and Franklin - a beutiful auditorium to be used for lectures. Both new venues do not have parking. Not everyone who attends the arts via a car are rich (oh, and they contribute a lot of money to the arts). And I know what it is like to take MUNI across town at night - not a good experience. Taxi service? Forget it. They have refused to take me locally as they only want airport fares.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 9:00 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Hard choices ahead for growing S.F.

John Wildermuth
sfgate
Monday, March 4, 2013

San Francisco residents will be getting thousands of new neighbors in the next 30 years, and it's time to start figuring out where they will live and work.

Between 2010 and 2040, the city will need 92,410 new housing units and 191,000 more jobs, said city Planning Director John Rahaim, numbers well above San Francisco's current growth rate.

Combined with the Association of Bay Area Governments' estimate that San Francisco's population will soar from the current 812,000 to at least 964,000 by 2035, it's clear that great change is ahead for the city.

"This (growth) is going to happen whether we plan for it or not," Rahaim recently told the Planning Commission. "The issue is where that development happens."

San Francisco, like other cities, is planning for its future as part of the 2008 state law requiring communities to develop plans that link prospective growth to improved transportation and greenhouse gas reduction.

The Association of Bay Area Governments, which is putting together the "One Bay Area" plan for the region's nine counties and 101 towns and cities, has projected that by 2040 the Bay Area will need 1.1 million more jobs and 660,000 new housing units to accommodate the additional 2.1 million people who will move into the area.

What's the best way?

For San Francisco, handling its share of that growth will require hard choices - and plenty of discussion - about what's best for the city, its residents and its businesses. The city's small size and existing development pattern make the job even tougher, Rahaim said.

Of the 19 major development projects already moving ahead in the city, only two, Balboa Park Station and Parkmerced, are in the western part of San Francisco.

"There's 20 percent of the city where 80 percent of the growth is happening," Rahaim said, and that's unlikely to change in future years.

Some of the biggest development sites already are set. The huge Hunters Point Shipyard project approved in 2010 is slated to include 10,500 housing units and provide 10,000 new jobs. Treasure Island will have 7,000 condos and apartments while the Transbay Center now under construction at First and Mission streets calls for high-rises with 4,500 homes and providing as many as 25,000 jobs.

For the city to meet these goals, the focus must be on increasingly dense development south of Market Street, a transit-rich area where much of San Francisco's dwindling supply of buildable land is located.

"There's going to have to be more density," said Tomiquia Moss, community planning director for the San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association, a local good-government organization. "The Central Corridor can absorb most or all of the projected job growth."

Business development won't be the only source of the city's growing pains. A continuing influx of workers and residents will boost the need for everything from parks and streetlights to buses and sewer lines.

"Is the city physically capable of growing its roads and transit, its infrastructure?" asked Planning Commissioner Kathrin Moore. "What's the ultimate carrying capacity of the city?"

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 3:19 AM

There was an article on socketsite stating new height limits were put in place in west soma.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 4:24 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
There was an article on socketsite stating new height limits were put in place in west soma.
Pretty sure they are raising them in some places and rezoning a few others. The disappointment comes from the maximum heights being still quite low.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:04 PM

Some pics I snapped while in the city:

Project next to LGBT center, appears to be topped out:

Not sure what this is, it is on Fremont between Harrison and Folsom:

And, the new Bay Bridge, which, for some reason, I have never seen pictures of on this site:

And my favorite lookout point in the world, besides Marin Headlands:

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Not sure what this is, it is on Fremont between Harrison and Folsom:

that is our friend 333 Fremont, aka the Iceberg Building, since it seems there is more of it below the surface than above (the hole for it was impressive)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 8:50 AM

Great pics, wakame!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 7:19 PM

View From Sanchez & 19th Streets

March 9, 2013 - Went for a walk up Sanchez to 23rd St. & got this nice view of the new building rising at Market & Dolores Sts. Apartments wtih a Whole Foods on the ground floor. Safeway across the street will probably lose some business. I look forward to the new market as it will be easier for me to get to this Whole Foods store.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
March 9, 2013 - Went for a walk up Sanchez to 23rd St. & got this nice view of the new building rising at Market & Dolores Sts. Apartments wtih a Whole Foods on the ground floor. Safeway across the street will probably lose some business. I look forward to the new market as it will be easier for me to get to this Whole Foods store.

Has the city ever given thought to demolishing that US Mint building? With more development in the area, that US Mint building just looks odd and takes up a lot of space in a prime spot. Could put up 2-3 high-rises in the area that the US Mint currently takes up

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
... I'm thinking of the redo at Third and Folsom and that thing has sat, stripped, for months, with little visible progress. edit: I was forgetting they added stories, too. but wasn't that done a while back?
thinking of this made me wander over there... the skin *is* going up, but still seems quite slow. this is looking at the Clementina (north) side from another back alley (behind the next-door parking garage) whose name I forget (walking back there made me think it would be a huge improvement to replace the garage with something with better ground-floor options, and make the alleyway a destination, with shops etc that could play off the future plaza at the corner of Third and Folsom):

and this is the southeast corner along Folsom:

maybe it will be interesting to compare the pace of the two projects, on Fifth and Third, since they are roughly at the same point right now.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerhigherfaster View Post
Has the city ever given thought to demolishing that US Mint building? With more development in the area, that US Mint building just looks odd and takes up a lot of space in a prime spot. Could put up 2-3 high-rises in the area that the US Mint currently takes up
The only problem is that it is not owned by The City but the Federal Government.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...=SF_facilities

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 9:01 PM

I'll just throw this one out there as a 'before' shot... once the MOMA shuts down for its expansion this summer, these two buildings' days will be numbered, to be replaced by the new wing. the fire station on the left

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskythelimit View Post
The only problem is that it is not owned by The City but the Federal Government.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...=SF_facilities
well the city and the feds should work out a deal to move it. Frankly, that place looks like a prison with armed guards and armored vehicles all around--totally out of place. Totally kills the potential for development in the area

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 2:36 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I live smack dab in the middle of that photograph--can see the roof of my building--and I absolutely love the Mint. The building looks especially monumental from down the hill on Dolores. I will readily agree, however, that the landscaping could use a lot of work and that some parts of the property could probably be developed without being too intrusive.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
I live smack dab in the middle of that photograph--can see the roof of my building--and I absolutely love the Mint. The building looks especially monumental from down the hill on Dolores. I will readily agree, however, that the landscaping could use a lot of work and that some parts of the property could probably be developed without being too intrusive.
If the building looked like the fed reserve building in SF--with columns and all that jazz--i'd agree that it'd look monumental and stately. But it doesn't; again, it looks like a prison building. Also, I think just the presence of all those armed guards, etc. sorta ruin the potential look and feel of the area.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 4:41 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerhigherfaster View Post
If the building looked like the fed reserve building in SF--with columns and all that jazz--i'd agree that it'd look monumental and stately. But it doesn't; again, it looks like a prison building. Also, I think just the presence of all those armed guards, etc. sorta ruin the potential look and feel of the area.
I also like the Mint--it definitely makes a statement from Market Street and San Francisco has always had its US Mint since the Gold Rush days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations