HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 10:54 PM

Ridiculous BC liquor laws jeopardize Rio Theatre

I know that we've had discussions on this site before about the ridiculous (and often contradictory) BC liquor laws and how they serve to undermine the quality of life.

Ridiculous things like promoting the binge-drinking atmosphere of Granville Street on the one hand while reacting Gestapo-like at times to the sight of two adults sharing a bottle of wine while having a picnic at a local park. I think it's time for the province and the city to "grow up" regarding its attitudes and regulatory stance regarding alcohol.

Anyway, a potential side-effect of the zany liquor laws in this province is the pending closure of an east Vancouver entertainment icon--the Rio Theatre.

From the CBC:
Quote:
A Vancouver city councillor is going to bat for an iconic local theatre in danger of closing down its screens because of its new liquor license.

After 74 years in business, East Vancouver's Rio Theatre recently got a liquor license to diversify its business for live events, but the province's liquor laws prevent venues from showing movies and serving alcohol.

Coun. Heather Deal says she plans to introduce a motion to council this week calling on the province to update its liquor laws.

Deal says she's spoken with the B.C. government before about liquor regulation but now the issue is urgent because it's hurting an important arts venue in the city.

"I think this one is not only very, very sort of misguided but quite damaging to some of the small culture-oriented businesses that we have in the city like the Rio," she said.

"So I've been in touch with [the province]. They said that they don't agree with me but they're willing to have a conversation. It's time to dial up the pressure a little bit."

Deal says other jurisdictions manage to show movies at venues with liquor licenses by limiting when and where alcohol can be served.

Rio owner Corrine Lea says she thought the theatre could still show movies as long as liquor wasn't served during films, but she was wrong.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...o-closing.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 11:26 PM

The whole issue is mind-boggling - banning liquor sales at movie screenings is unreasonable, but banning theatres from screening movies if they sell liquor at other times is even crazier.

Everyone who thinks these policies are crazy is writing to their MLA, right? Sample letters available here.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 11:49 PM

yahm coquitlam silvercity just spent lots of money on a reno for VIP theatres and they added a bar and lounge but you can't drink the drinks you buy in there into the movie theatres they don't allow it outside the lounge

something has to be done, no wonder people in toronto laugh at us

there has been a lot of debate amongst people i know on facebook - most of whom moved to toronto from here over the last few years...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 12:42 AM
Mac User

The liquor laws in this province require a complete overhaul!

No alcohol in a theatre is just one of many examples. Its illegal to bring beer to the beach or serve wine on a picnic, but somehow alcohol served on a side walk patio is all right? I've also heard that its illegal transport BC wine to other provinces. Removing these archaic laws would certainly free up police resource and make BC a better place to live.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 12:50 AM

remember during the olympics, caterers couldn't deliver the wine to the site of the party but a florist could because of the bc laws

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 1:25 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The laws certainly need reworking one of the biggest problems is every province having their own rules. Red-tape is plentiful when you have 10+set of rules within a single country.
There is certainly a need to revisit the rules and improve them, but I don't think we'll see a Europeanization of them as lets be honest our a large enough portion of our society isn't civilized enough to self control itself.
I don't think we're ready for drinking in public but I could see a lowering of the drinking age to 18 and making it easy to get a liquor license (as well as making it easier to take one away from abusers). Although it might not seem like it, we've come along way in the last couple of decades and I have no doubt we'll come along way in the next couple. It won't be as fast as some might like, but it's probably the right approach. I would be surprised if we don't see increased regulation in some European countries over the next decade, especially in the UK.

I don't have much compassion for the Rio though as this fight has been political from the start, she knew she would have to stop showing films if the license was issued and she went for it anyways. Wether the rule is a good one or one that needs changing, it's the rule. She could've chosen to fight the rule in many different ways w/o affecting her business.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The laws certainly need reworking one of the biggest problems is every province having their own rules. Red-tape is plentiful when you have 10+set of rules within a single country.
There is certainly a need to revisit the rules and improve them, but I don't think we'll see a Europeanization of them as lets be honest our a large enough portion of our society isn't civilized enough to self control itself.
I don't think we're ready for drinking in public but I could see a lowering of the drinking age to 18 and making it easy to get a liquor license (as well as making it easier to take one away from abusers). Although it might not seem like it, we've come along way in the last couple of decades and I have no doubt we'll come along way in the next couple. It won't be as fast as some might like, but it's probably the right approach. I would be surprised if we don't see increased regulation in some European countries over the next decade, especially in the UK.

I don't have much compassion for the Rio though as this fight has been political from the start, she knew she would have to stop showing films if the license was issued and she went for it anyways. Wether the rule is a good one or one that needs changing, it's the rule. She could've chosen to fight the rule in many different ways w/o affecting her business.
Self control is something that is learned, and you cant learn it without having to use it. I just think this is a poor argument, no offense.

Personally in Vancouver I might go to a movie theater once or twice a year for a movie I am excited about, In Czech this fall I would go once a week(and the price was close enough at $7 a movie).

The reason was because the theater I used there was for some 100 people max with couches and tables and a full bar with beer, wine, liquors, food, what ever you want. The theater was modern and a enjoyable experience unlike the theaters here.

If a theater like say the Rio fixed itself up and had a decently priced full bar and good comfortable homie seating I would go to a movie once a week.

For me personally being able to have a drink or two while going for a movie and to be comfortable is a big plus. I go to a movie usually to relax and unwind, I have a drink to do the same, obviously I would like to be able to do both at the same time.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:51 PM
BANNED

Agreed on the whole Cineplex thing. Why is this corporation allowed to show movies and serve liquor?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:13 PM

they aren't allowed to serve liquor in the movies at cineplex in BC, ontario yes, BC no

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterprinciple View Post
Agreed on the whole Cineplex thing. Why is this corporation allowed to show movies and serve liquor?
I haven't been to the Coquitlam SilverCity since the renovations, but I believe that the lounge area is a separate room or area whereas the Rio wouldn't be.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:11 AM

the coquitlam theatre has a separate VIP entrance from the lobby, you walk into the bar/lounge, than there is a separate walkway - separated by glass - to the movie theatres which are actually a lot smaller and more intimate than the typical/old ones they replaced

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 4:47 PM
Reason and Freedom

Here is a good video canvassing people's opinion about BC's alcohol laws:

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 8:10 PM

The thing about prohibiting movie theatres to serve alcohol is fairly easy to understand:
1. The concession staff has traditionally been underage
2. The clientele for many Hollywood blockbusters is teens who would test the boundaries of ID checking.

I see about two movies a month and can't see how alcohol would improve the experience. This is more about single screen theatres not being viable than serving booze.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 8:14 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

I see about two movies a month and can't see how alcohol would improve the experience.
Great. Nobody would be able to force you to drink any. Likewise, you shouldn't be able to prevent other adults from peacfully enjoying a drink if they want to. That's how a free society works.

Last edited by Prometheus; Jan 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
There is certainly a need to revisit the rules and improve them, but I don't think
it's not a federal issue.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The thing about prohibiting movie theatres to serve alcohol is fairly easy to understand:
1. The concession staff has traditionally been underage
I don't see what that has anything to do with it. Are minors not allowed to serve alcohol in restaurants either? If so, that's a ridiculous law.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 9:25 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeforcewinds View Post
it's not a federal issue.
I know it's not a federal issue, hence why every province has it's own rules further complicating matters and adding to the red tape. If it were federal it would make it simpler.

Personally I'm indifferent on this matter, I find going to movies obxious as is, with idiots talking on their phones/texting sneaking in their toy dogs because of a lack of enforcement by staff. I'm not sure if me enjoying a drink while surronded by a clown or two that is over drinking will make me want to go any more. If theatres here would acutally ensure a comfortable experience for all patrons I'd be all onboard.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 2:03 AM
Mac User

Quote:
I don't see what that has anything to do with it. Are minors not allowed to serve alcohol in restaurants either? If so, that's a ridiculous law.
As far as I understand minors working in restaurants are not permitted to serve alcohol either. It make sense that minors shouldn't be allowed to serve alcohol, but if a theatre wants to serve alcohol and has staff who are legal age I think they should have the option.

The government should do its job. In this case since serving alcohol in a theatre isn't going to harm anyone, so they should be protecting the interests of the small businesses and move quickly to de-regulate this provinces antiquated alcohol laws.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 7:02 AM

Quote:
That is indeed the law. The teenage server said as much last time I took my dad to White Spot and he ordered a beer. She was not even willing to take the order for an alcoholic beverage, nevermind serve it. The beer had to wait until an older waiter was available to come to our table to take the beer order.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 7:38 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post

That is indeed the law. The teenage server said as much last time I took my dad to White Spot and he ordered a beer. She was not even willing to take the order for an alcoholic beverage, nevermind serve it. The beer had to wait until an older waiter was available to come to our table to take the beer order.
But the fact is he was able to enjoy a beer. Therefore, having some minors on staff is not legal justification for preventing adults from enjoying a drink in a restaurant. And just as having some minors on staff is no reason for preventing adults from enjoying a drink in a restaurant, so it should be no reason for preventing adults from enjoying a drink in a theatre.

Last edited by Prometheus; Jan 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment