HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Today, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Smarter people knew the benefits of the tolls. I used to laugh when I would cruise over the bridge while the Patullo would be plagued by stalls and accidents almost every morning. Sadly, you have so many accidents and stalls plaguing both bridges now. Patullo traffic is on par with last year while Port Mann continues to see gains every week. I would not be surprised if traffic has increased by over 20% coming out of SOF.
"Only people with the money to afford tolls and nice cars should drive on this highway" is basically what you're saying here. Infrastructure is built for the many, not the few. It's bullshit that someone living in Port Coquitlam but working in Surrey had to pay the toll twice every day, but someone living here in Port Coquitlam can drive all the way to Whistler on the brand new Sea to Sky doesn't have to pay a dime in tolls.

The PMB looks wide open right now at rush hour in both directions.

Old Posted Today, 1:44 AM
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejaw View Post
You do know that Skytrain cant climb steep grades right?
As long as it hugs the coast it won't go over a single hill.

Old Posted Today, 1:55 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Skytrain can also do a reasonably steep grade. 6%.

Old Posted Today, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I think the answer is simpler than most of the proposals. ... Instead of widening the road deck, I would suggest that a set of Skytrain tracks should be built underneath the road deck ... This would give a roundabout SkyTrain route from Lonsdale to downtown - probably about 15 minute train ride - but would be superior to the SeaBus because of better frequency...
It's a lot cheaper to improve the frequency by putting more SeaBuses into service than to build an entirely new Skytrain line. You could build FIVE more Seabuses for less than $200 million to give us a total of 7 new vessels, which would allow 6 to be in service with one spare. That would give you a frequency of 5 minutes.

Old Posted Today, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
It's a lot cheaper to improve the frequency by putting more SeaBuses into service than to build an entirely new Skytrain line. You could build FIVE more Seabuses for less than $200 million to give us a total of 7 new vessels, which would allow 6 to be in service with one spare. That would give you a frequency of 5 minutes.
What about the capacity? Would it be feasible to have 2 docked and doing their thing at both terminals and 2 on the way?

Old Posted Today, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
http://www.cfox.com/2017/09/25/new-c...s-gate-bridge/

Got any ideas for a solution?

I say just tear down that shit-ass 3 lane bridge (weird number of lanes for a highway bridge) and build a 4 or even 6 lane bridge, 2-3 lanes in each direction.
I think in the early 2000's there was a major rehab of the bridge. It's essentially a new bridge. Be better to build a twin bridge and tunnel it under Stanley Park.

Old Posted Today, 3:37 AM

Another day another accident on Highway 1 at approximately 232nd. Everyday there's issues from Mt. Lehman to 208th. I understand it's a shitty 2 lane one way piece of shit with crappy interchanges and on ramps but come on the road is as straight as an arrow.

Old Posted Today, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Another day another accident on Highway 1 at approximately 232nd. Everyday there's issues from Mt. Lehman to 208th. I understand it's a shitty 2 lane one way piece of shit with crappy interchanges and on ramps but come on the road is as straight as an arrow.
supposed to be widened to 3 lanes by 2022 according to a sign i saw driving it. of course this is canada and it takes forever to build anything, so who knows if that target will be met.

Old Posted Today, 4:13 AM
waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
The reason there are so many accidents may actually be because the road is straight. I don't have the research to prove it, but I might guess that the straightness of the road has a physiological effect on the drivers: Think about how much effort you have to put in to drive the sea to sky hwy. A straight flat road is easy and therefore I would guess people feel like they can pay less attention, travel with a smaller headway for faster speeds than on a curved road.

I know everytime I drive the road when it is flowing well, traffic moves at about 100km/h or higher with cars about 1 car length apart which is incredibly small for such a speed. Maybe this is experiential but maybe not?

Old Posted Today, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
What about the capacity? Would it be feasible to have 2 docked and doing their thing at both terminals and 2 on the way?
Given that both terminals have dual berths I wouldn't think it would be a problem. But if you want to stick to the ability to use just one berth at a time (to preserve the redundancy aspect of the whole system) it might be a little tight to have one SeaBus departing at the same time another one was maneuvering to dock. In that case a fleet of four active SeaBuses with 7.5-minute frequency might be closer to what's practically achievable. That's still pretty good frequency, IMHO.

Old Posted Today, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
uhhhhhhh and crossing the water to get to hastings park / downtown?????

Old Posted Today, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Skytrain can also do a reasonably steep grade. 6%.
You sure ive heard its more like 3.5%????

Old Posted Today, 5:16 PM

Quote:
This document from TransLink says 6.0%.

Old Posted Today, 5:34 PM
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY

Quote:
uhhhhhhh and crossing the water to get to hastings park / downtown?????
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no harder than crossing the Fraser.

Old Posted Today, 5:41 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
The Evergreen Line is a 6% (or 5.5%, I forget) sustained grade. There are also other similarly steep parts of the system elsewhere. Short areas can be steeper.

The grade was noticeable when I was walking up the tunnel during construction.

The Canada Line also has similarly steep areas, but they seem to be prone to traction issues, like at the bridge south of Marine Dr. The steep sections are also generally shorter. Underground, they don't have to worry about weather affecting traction, so they don't seem to have the same traction issues near False Creek.

Old Posted Today, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Given that both terminals have dual berths I wouldn't think it would be a problem. But if you want to stick to the ability to use just one berth at a time (to preserve the redundancy aspect of the whole system) it might be a little tight to have one SeaBus departing at the same time another one was maneuvering to dock. In that case a fleet of four active SeaBuses with 7.5-minute frequency might be closer to what's practically achievable. That's still pretty good frequency, IMHO.
Would it probably be time to make an additional terminal somewhere if we were to increase the fleet size to 7?

Old Posted Today, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
The Evergreen Line is a 6% (or 5.5%, I forget) sustained grade. There are also other similarly steep parts of the system elsewhere. Short areas can be steeper.

The grade was noticeable when I was walking up the tunnel during construction.

The Canada Line also has similarly steep areas, but they seem to be prone to traction issues, like at the bridge south of Marine Dr. The steep sections are also generally shorter. Underground, they don't have to worry about weather affecting traction, so they don't seem to have the same traction issues near False Creek.
Evergreen was 6%. One short section was slightly steeper.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure