HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 2:57 PM

Hoffman re-starts Waterfront Pearl work

POSTED: 02:16 PM PDT Tuesday, March 17, 2009
BY TYLER GRAF

For months, work on the nearly completed Waterfront Pearl condominium development, located in the Pearl District near the Willamette River, was stalled due to a $15.8 million construction lien its contractor, Hoffman Construction, placed on the project.

The lien was lifted about a week and a half ago, said Hoffman spokesman Bart Eberwein, and this week the construction firm has restarted its work on the development's water line. The project has had a history of water incursion that Hoffman is working to fix.

The lien was placed on the project's developer, Pemcor Development, when it fell more than two months behind on construction payments last summer. Finally, according to Eberwein, one of the project's co-lenders -- Australia-based Macquarie Group -- came forward and bought out the lien, allowing construction to continue. Canadian bank CDPQ was also a lender on the project, but Macquarie has taken over completely for that firm.

"I think all the condo owners have a higher comfort level that the project will actually get finished and that there's no cloud over the title," Eberwein said.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 3:18 PM

Castillonis, that photo is creepy. You can actually see some girl watching TV in her bed. Man, people need to close blinds, that's crazy detail.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 5:00 PM

haha, that is pretty crazy...and hilarious

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 7:53 PM

I should

In the future I will probably always do a longer exposure so that you cannot see any details. I blurred their faces, but I probably should have blurred their entire body or condo interior.

For now I will remove it until I make changes.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 10:10 PM

^booooo!

kidding...I think...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 1:09 AM

Almost done. Feels oddly detached now, but when the surrounding area is filled in, revived (in the case of the Mills), and connected, it should be a nice spot.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 7:50 AM

Little Planet projection of Mistral and Azure

Little Planet projection of the Mistral and Azure condominiums from the waterfront side. The view from the waterfront has unobstructed views of the Freemont and Broadway bridges. You can also see the silos where cargo ships are often moored.

Last edited by Castillonis; Jun 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 7:58 PM

What is going on with these buildings? Looks like all units have been pulled off RLMS. How do they ever expect to sell the units if they're not even listed?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 8:08 PM

I guess this answers my question:

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...taken_ove.html

But given that they haven't listed any of their units in MLS for months now, I don't see how they ever expected to avoid disaster...

Portland condo tower taken over by Australian lender
by Ryan Frank, The Oregonian
Friday July 31, 2009, 7:17 PM

Faith Cathcart/Oregonian
The two-building Waterfront Pearl project started as the river-front icon of the popular Pearl District. But after construction delays, cost overruns and slow sales, it's now owned by an Australian bank.
The Waterfront Pearl, one of four buildings featured in this year's Street of Dreams show, is the first major Portland condo project to go back to the bank since the condo craze crashed in 2007.
A subsidiary of Macquarie Group, an Australian financial firm, took over the 194-unit project this summer after the developer couldn't raise enough cash to cover cost overruns.
Developer Paul Mayer of Pemcor Development in Vancouver, B.C., tried since last year to negotiate a workout with his lenders. On other Portland condo projects, lenders and investors have stopped short of foreclosure by agreeing to take lower returns or a loss

In Mayer's case, he couldn't convince international lenders to cut a deal. So he deeded the property to the Australian bank in lieu of foreclosure. "We've resolved it as well as we could have in the circumstances for all parties," Mayer said Friday.

The Waterfront Pearl symbolizes the troubling times for real estate developers and banks. The project was marketed as an eastern extension of Portland's Pearl District with riverfront and mountain views and a dramatic water feature that wraps the ground floor.

Prices were supposed to ride the top of the market at about $500 per square foot on average. Instead, construction costs escalated, the schedule bogged with delays and sales sputtered thanks to a credit crisis and tumbling home values. The bank is now offering about 150 of the remaining units as rent-to-owns or for-sale condos.

The Home Builders Association of Metropolitan Portland, which runs the Street of Dreams show, moved this year's show to feature downtown condos because of the stalled luxury-home market.

They had planned to include some suburban homes this year, but builders couldn't lock up loans from lenders burned by the busting residential real estate market. Eric Stride, the show's operations manager, said one builder even had a buyer for a $1 million home -- modest by the show's standards -- and still couldn't get a construction loan.

The Street of Dreams starts today with nine condos in four buildings. It's billed as one of the country's first luxury home shows for condominiums.

Mayer launched the Waterfront Pearl's sales in 2005 when Portland's condo market was red hot.

Mayer's company took out a $96.8 million loan with CDPQ Mortgage Corp. of Quebec and an $18.4 million loan with Macquarie's subsidiary. His contractor, Portland's Hoffman Construction, broke ground on the two-building project in October 2005.

Problems began soon after. Crews ran into flooding from the neighboring Willamette River twice. Instead of building, they spent time pumping out the river.

By summer 2008, Mayer's company didn't have enough money to keep up with the rising costs. Hoffman Construction filed a $15.8 million construction lien on the project that July after it worked for two months without pay, according to company executives.

Hoffman halted its work between June 2008 and March, and Mayer tried to convince his two lenders to help cover the overruns. The project that started with an $85 million construction budget jumped by $10 million, or 12 percent.

Mayer thought he had negotiated solutions twice, but both fell through. Macquarie eventually bought out the other lender, paid up with Hoffman Construction and finished the water feature.

Mayer then signed the property over to Macquarie on June 30. Macquarie executives couldn't be reached Friday for comment.

Mayer said he's still trying to recover money from his architect, MCA Architects of Portland. He said the firm's construction drawings created problems during construction and he's seeking as much as $7 million in damages. The two sides are scheduled to begin mediation this fall. An executive at the architecture firm declined to comment.

The Waterfront Pearl is among a generation of condo towers that rose at the tail end of the condo boom. The projects launched when the market was still hot, but they're now languishing.

In some cases, lenders and investors have been willing to negotiate a workout plan. That's led to slashed prices in every major condo project.

Among 13 new downtown projects, there were 795 unsold condos left in the market. Of those, 18 sold in June. But the sales this year are coming at steep discount of 23 percent from the original list price, according to research by real estate brokers at Realty Trust City.

The Waterfront Pearl, according to the firm's research, has stopped its sales marketing. But at the building's sales office, a woman who declined to give her name said sales were still ongoing along with a rent-to-own program.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 7:21 PM

Waterfront pearl faces obstacles as for-sale/for-rent hybrid project

The article formatting doesn't cut & past cleanly, so I'm only posting exerpts. The full article can be found here (scroll to p.27): http://www.nwexaminer.com/issues/9September2009.pdf

By Allan Classen

A month before opening day of this year’s Street of Dreams, the developer of one of the four featured Pearl District condominium buildings, Waterfront Pearl, surrendered the 194-unit twin towers to its lender.

John Gibbon, an attorney specializing
in condominium law, said limiting the
number of rented units (whether owned by
the developer or individual buyers) is a key
element of condominium management.
Homeowners associations usually place
limits on rentals because they limit the
ability of condo owners to sell or refinance
their units. Those limits, which attempt to
reflect standards of the secondary lending
market, traditionally have been around 20
percent.
A developer or building owner who
retains control of a majority of the con-
dominium units can create headaches for
condo buyers later if construction defects
and maintenance issues arise, said Gibbon.
Homeowner associations must be given
control over the building when a majority
of units are sold or within three years after
the first sale, but the developer would retain
a majority of the votes in the new HOA
and therefore control its actions.
That could create a long limbo period
for condo owners in a building like the
Waterfront Pearl, he said. For instance, if
the large pool surrounding its twin struc-
tures should spring leaks—which happened
during construction, leading to large cost
overruns—individual owners may want to
use the HOA to press the owner/builder
to correct the defects, but Macquarie could
still have the majority voting bloc and could
move instead for all units to pay propor-
tionately for the repairs.

This business about the developer controlling votes for unsold units (rented or not) should be a *huge* concern for anyone who is considering buying a unit in any new construction building...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 8:42 PM

This is why I flat refuse to live in anything but an actual house, urban living be damned.

I'm not giving control of my property to an HOA, period.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL View Post
This is why I flat refuse to live in anything but an actual house, urban living be damned.

I'm not giving control of my property to an HOA, period.
Actually, you have exactly the same vulnerability if you buy an "actual house" with an HOA. This has nothing to do with condo vs. single-family residence. Even in a development of SFR's, the developer holds the voting rights for the unsold houses.

The only upside of an HOA comes if you need to take the developer to court for construction defects; then you can split the legal costs among the HOA. If you're going up against the developer on your own, he can tie you up in court until you run out of money.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Actually, you have exactly the same vulnerability if you buy an "actual house" with an HOA. This has nothing to do with condo vs. single-family residence. Even in a development of SFR's, the developer holds the voting rights for the unsold houses.

The only upside of an HOA comes if you need to take the developer to court for construction defects; then you can split the legal costs among the HOA. If you're going up against the developer on your own, he can tie you up in court until you run out of money.
This is exactly what happened to some friends of mine who live in Tigard. It took 5 years to get an agreement settled for the bad construction. Then everyone in the community had to pay around $1500 each, and now the work is underway.

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 6:39 PM

It seems too long since our last philopdx update!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 7:49 AM

How it looks from the Broadway bridge...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 6:36 PM

wow, great shots, nice to see the area filling in

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Almost done. Feels oddly detached now, but when the surrounding area is filled in, revived (in the case of the Mills), and connected, it should be a nice spot.

Last edited by TowerPower; Mar 19, 2016 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 5:46 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland