HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 3:27 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zekas View Post
So very shiny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ Memories of what exactly??? O_o
Yeah, we might be learning a little TOO much about our fellow forumers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
This photo shows two things:

1) This area is a perfect place for a new park.

2) Chicago city blocks are way too small. Look how much road surface there is compared to actual usable land!
I like the block size - nothing irritates me more than excessively long blocks. The roads are too wide, though. Even my grandmother, who was probably last in Chicago in the early 1960s, had a primary memory of Chicago of the roads being "so wide!" She lived in Idaho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Short blocks make for a great walking experience. Obviously the architecture in this area leaves a lot to be desired, but look at Portland.
Exactly. Personally, I believe that Ohio, Ontario, Lasalle, Clark and Dearborn should be the only roads of any real capacity. The others should be significantly narrowed. For State Street, remove the parking lane south of Division, extend the sidewalks, and install bollards to shield pedestrians from remaining traffic, making it feel more like a street in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
River North blocks are definitely too small, but they aren't average when it comes to the city as a whole. Blocks in the loop are about 50% larger.

Following Michigan Ave, the mile between Madison and Roosevelt is roughly 11 blocks, while the mile between Madison and Chicago is 14 blocks. Three of those are the larger blocks south of the river. The roughly 1 mile stretch between the river (starting at Kinzie) and Division contains 18 blocks.
Small blocks with smaller streets is my preference. Activating alleys in certain blocks would also be helpful.

Quote:
I disagree about the post office, for two reasons:

1) The surrounding blocks are already largely developed, so you lose the chance to design buildings to face the park. Buildings which, of course, would not have above ground parking garages with park views, or vehicle access on the side facing the park.

2) Block size. A decent sized park needs to cover at least two city blocks in River North. Using only the post office block, or only the McDonald's block, would create a pocket park at most, more of a small square than a real park. I think a block in the area is just over 2 acres - for comparison, Washington Square Park in NY is almost 10 acres. Even Chicago's Washington Square Park, which is tiny and underutilized as a result, is more than one River North block.

Eh, perhaps, but these are too small, and the roads are too wide. Road surface takes up an enormous proportion of the land area - much more than in many places which would be considered to offer excellent walking experiences.

There needs to at least be a long term movement toward reducing the number of lanes and widening sidewalks then. Perhaps a couple of through streets that are wider, but shrink the others down to two lanes.
I wonder if there would be a way to create a super-block park with surrounding buildings with traffic submerged, without creating awkward underground areas. Leave the sidwalks at surface level, but force the traffic down. Could put some parking lots below the multi-block park, similarly to how Paris submerges parking in the center of some streets. Maybe if I think of it I'll sketch something along the lines of what I'm thinking of and how it might work.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 3:36 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSTaylor View Post
I'd love to see McDonald's turn the Rock n Roll location into a green flagship park with giant Golden Arches and submerged McDonalds below the park. Keeping a presence on the location and also providing a park for River North.
That's a cool urban concept which would allow for the park to also have bathrooms maintained by McDonalds as well as another option for a quick bite.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSTaylor View Post
I'd love to see McDonald's turn the Rock n Roll location into a green flagship park with giant Golden Arches and submerged McDonalds below the park. Keeping a presence on the location and also providing a park for River North.
Awesome idea.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 11:08 PM

Why are people so keen on keeping a huge McDonald's in the middle of River North? It's a shitty fast food restaurant.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 11:37 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Why are people so keen on keeping a huge McDonald's in the middle of River North? It's a shitty fast food restaurant.
The design of this Mcdonalds is a little nicer than the average one. Let's deal with all the surface lots in this area first then start talking about knocking down a decent looking Mcdonalds.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 11:59 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
^ because mcdonald's is a land-banker .. when's the last time you saw one go away? it's just dealing with reality..if it must stay, and eveyrone wants a park, why not leave it if they are willing to sell off the parking lots?

chances are, this will be the final piece of infill land sold, after every single other developable lot and building under 3 stories is gone in the center (including cabrini, southloop etc.)
Yep, I can see McD's hanging on for as long as possible, then selling for some serious bank, while having a contingency leaseback as part of the deal.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Yeah but its the BIGGEST shitty fast food restaurant in the world and this is its hometown soooooo..... ...put an apple logo on the top instead of the golden arches and everyone would be loving it.....

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:09 AM
1st Ward

At least it beats the hell of the old Rock N Roll McDonalds that used to be there. That place was essentially a glorified toilet for the homeless.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
^ because mcdonald's is a land-banker .. when's the last time you saw one go away?
There was one in Manhattan at 33rd and 10th that they sold to the Hudson Yards Developer. Recently demolished. You're right that they would stick around but..if they price is right, they will sell.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 9:55 AM
Ascension

Not to mention the one in Wrigleyville that got knocked down for all that stuff going on around Wrigley Field.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Not to mention the one in Wrigleyville that got knocked down for all that stuff going on around Wrigley Field.
You can bet your biscuits there'll be a McDonalds in an in-line space on the ground floor of the new hotel.

I believe the McDonalds on Ohio will stay as-is just because it's perceived as one of their flagship locations in (as someone already said) their back yard. I'd actually be surprised to know their percentage of sales are between walk-up dine-ins vs car park dine-ins vs drive thru customers at this location. Perhaps the adjacent parking lot could go eventually?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:30 PM

Homewood Hilton - 1101 S Wabash

Oct 27

Oct 30

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:37 PM
tilted & shifted

Speaking of the Rock n Roll McDonald's, I noticed today that the beige Best Western on LaSalle and Ohio is being painted blue.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:44 PM

1136-40 S Wabash

Oct 27

Oct 30

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:47 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The people in that plaza/park are so hollow!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:22 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 710cl View Post
You can bet your biscuits there'll be a McDonalds in an in-line space on the ground floor of the new hotel.

I believe the McDonalds on Ohio will stay as-is just because it's perceived as one of their flagship locations in (as someone already said) their back yard. I'd actually be surprised to know their percentage of sales are between walk-up dine-ins vs car park dine-ins vs drive thru customers at this location. Perhaps the adjacent parking lot could go eventually?
Is that even a corporate location? I thought it was a franchise for some reason. Maybe I think that just because the service there is absolutely horrible.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:43 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
The people in that plaza/park are so hollow!
It's a holocaust memorial....

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:46 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Speaking of the Rock n Roll McDonald's, I noticed today that the beige Best Western on LaSalle and Ohio is being painted blue.
Hopefully something that helps hide the fact it's a Best Western.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:47 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Is that even a corporate location? I thought it was a franchise for some reason. Maybe I think that just because the service there is absolutely horrible.
I've been there maybe a dozen times across 5 years and never got "horrible" service. What experience did you have that was so bad?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:49 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
It's a holocaust memorial....
Why is there a holocaust memorial in a Chicago park?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations