HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Busan Lotte Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Busan Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 2:32 PM
Puyo!

I am kinda confused, which should I call it Busan or Pusan?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 2:48 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Doesn't really matter - Pusan is the English version, Busan is closer to what Koreans would say: they don't use the Latin alphabet though, so I guess those that DO use it should have right of say. When my Korean wife says it, it sure does sound like a "p" sound to me, but she insists it's really closer to a "b."

Either way, both ways of writing it are closer than Prague vs. Praha, for example...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 7:10 PM
Puyo!

^Oh I see! Thanks

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 12:11 AM
`

Last edited by Slugbelch; Mar 15, 2007 at 7:04 PM. Reason: +2nd article

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 12:13 AM
Website Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
this is one of the few supertalls that does not excite me. no emotion at all.
Same here. This project has draged on for so many years and I have never really cared for it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 10:46 PM
`

End of May:

george/sonjadean

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 10:55 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Same here. This project has draged on for so many years and I have never really cared for it.
I remember back in 2000 when I posted at the old skyscrapers.com forum this thing was supposed to be under construction, ableit with a lower height (1532 ft AFAIR) and different design.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:39 AM
I love boxes.

This tower may look odd in the city with no other building with comparable height nearby...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:00 PM

NOW

BUSAN LOTTE WORLD 2 - 510M !

GO BUSAN

Last edited by Donkie; Jun 8, 2007 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 11:18 PM
`

Lotte World Tower To Become Seouls Tallest
Published on 2007-07-07

These are the first images of the latest design of what will be one of the tallest buildings in the world, the Lotte Super Tower in Seoul, South Korea, if built.

Designed by leading architects Skidmore Owings & Merrill, the tower will be 555 metres tall tapering gently from a wider base. The shape of the building is also manipulated starting off with a square floor-plate of 70 x 70 metres and gradually morphing into a circular 40 metre one as the height progresses.

Responding to the shrinking floor-plates, the building uses which require the largest areas such as office and retail will be located at the bottom of the tower whilst the upper floors will be set aside for hotel accommodation and a viewing platform. In total it will be 15% retail, 50% office, 30% hotel and 5% for the observation area.

The appearance of the building is dominated by lattice-work that takes on the look of a diagrid, famously used in 30 St Mary Axe in London and less creatively but just as famously in a defining SOM skyscraper, the Hancock Tower in Chicago.

This webbing of metal has one major advantage over the traditional steel-framed buildings of having much stronger structural strength so less metalwork can be used and building costs are saved by the developer.

The diagrid can also be configured by the architect in the design process to adapt to such things as structural loads in a way that a more stricter frame could not. This was seen in action with 30 St Mary Axe which actually shrunk a fraction of an inch when completed as the frame compressed slightly to hold the weight once gravity kicked it and it settled into the site.

Responding to potential strains on the Lotte Super Tower, SOM has designed the structural columns so they are steepest at the bottom to take into account the gravity loads and shallowest at the top to take stresses from the wind in a process called "vortex shedding" that manipulates the wind flow.

At night the superscraper will be particularly stunning. A lighting scheme has been designed where the diagonal cross-bracing that wraps around the tower will be lit up with a series of white lights like a Christmas tree. At the top, beams will shoot up from the crown illuminating the sky above as if the structure finishes in a torch light.

Particular attention has been paid to the base that will have blue uplighters but also a deeper red colour scheme on the interior of the lowest levels, creating a feeling of depth through the facades and cross-bracing as well as expressing the complex structure visually.

The Lotte Group are already a major developer within Korea with a number of large towers on their portfolio but this one will be one of the tallest buildings in the world if it is actually completed. That could however be another story - Korea has a long and illustrious history of proposing enormous towers that fail to get off the ground.

Even if the scheme is never realised it's a far cry from the earliest origins of Lotte, that of a chewing gum and confectionary manufacturer in Japan in 1948, and a victory of sorts that shows the smallest starts can lead to the grandest designs.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 3:09 AM
Chaos Machine

This building has some great design features. At the base, the Lobby is made enormously tall, by pulling the structure out creating a continuous vertical gap of space that makes the space appear much taller. It is a highly engineered diagrid that was generated so that all members could be straight, creating an efficient system, and the connection points between the members become quite complex with the curtain wall.

Overall I think the design is good, though I wish that the top would be done somehow differently.. the open lattice isn't doing it for me. Even though it is cool that it is expressing the structure all the way and the lighting looks badass at night, I think maybe a better version could finish the tower off more interestingly?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 7:13 PM

I'm glad I checked this thread today.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 3:31 AM

... anything new?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboveday View Post
Design for World?s Tallest Building Proposed for South Korea
- a 107-story, 1,620-foot-tall office tower and mixed-use/retail facility.
I clicked on the first page and couldn't figure out what I was looking at. 1600 ft. is the world's tallest? What?
Then I realized the post was from 2005.
Wow, a trip in the way-back machine, to when 1620 ft would be a world record... Wouldn't even make the top 5 now.

I like the diagrid design, not sure about the lighting theme however.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 8:12 PM
Pacific Wonderland

This thing is in trouble according to ssc. Lotte has corruption trouble, there is a rendering showing a mall with maybe a 10 story building on there. The translation from Korean to English was crappy. Would not surprise me if this thing is on indefinite hold or dead.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
This tower may look odd in the city with no other building with comparable height nearby...

may look = looks imo

Not a great view either. Front row seats to the industrial ship yard across the river.

Last edited by FLBlake; May 21, 2008 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:05 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugbelch View Post

Lotte World Tower To Become Seouls Tallest
Published on 2007-07-07

These are the first images of the latest design of what will be one of the tallest buildings in the world, the Lotte Super Tower in Seoul, South Korea, if built.

The news on this project is as messed up as the project itself. It says in the article above that is is in Seoul. Busan is no where near Seoul. So where is it?

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 11:54 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

There are two Lotte supertall projects, one in Seoul and one in Pusan. I don't know why the Seoul project's renderings were posted in this thread.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 7:01 AM

Supertalls in Busan

I was looking at the posts about the supertall projects in Busan, and thought I would try to help out, since I'm now working here in Busan City Hall.

Anyway, first up, it's Busan, not Pusan. The spelling system officially changed back in 1997, as far as I can recall. It's not Haewoondae, but Haeundae.

Finally, I saw the Lotte 2 construction site today, and the basic steel structure of the lower-rise buildings adjoining the tower is about seven stories high so far. I've asked for some kind of official confirmation on the project's progress from coworkers, and will post it when I have it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 9:59 AM

A supertall version of the Hearst Tower in NYC?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction