HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 4:36 PM

All the fences around it have been removed; walked by the other night you could see office furniture inside. Looks like it's close to being done. This one has grown on me over time, but the big plastic walls on top ruin the whole thing.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 8:58 PM
Meh

I like it I guess. I still haven't really walked around it and gotten up close just yet since all the construction fencing came down.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 1:13 AM

I love how they landscape the area.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 2:49 AM

I know this is an 8 floor building. But because it doesn't have conventional horizontal rows of windows, its difficult to do a floor count. Looks like a 3 or 4 story building albeit 3 to 4 very tall floors. Like the landscaping and the lighting. Agree with priller, top looks out of place. It certainly doesn't lack for texture on the exterior. But all in all, I have to say, I don't like it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 4:34 AM

this building is cool... its a good thing for austin cause austin dont got many weird bldgs like this

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 4:34 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I know this is an 8 floor building. But because it doesn't have conventional horizontal rows of windows, its difficult to do a floor count. Looks like a 3 or 4 story building albeit 3 to 4 very tall floors. Like the landscaping and the lighting. Agree with priller, top looks out of place. It certainly doesn't lack for texture on the exterior. But all in all, I have to say, I don't like it.
Do you like anything?

I love it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 5:03 AM

Well, think about it. We could have gotten something a lot worse as far as courthouses go. I think its actually pretty dynamic for a courthouse building.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Well, think about it. We could have gotten something a lot worse as far as courthouses go. I think its actually pretty dynamic for a courthouse building.
it's pretty freaking awesome if you ask me. i've never doubted this building ever since they started building it. this building is slick.... even the top wall doesn't bother me much.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 7:15 PM

Last edited by BrodeRayEwing; Dec 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 6:12 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/c...-austin/nTMCQ/
Quote:
Posted: 7:42 p.m. Monday, Dec. 3, 2012
New federal courthouse opens in Austin

By Juan Castillo
American-Statesman Staff

Three years and three months after it broke ground, Austin’s gleaming new downtown federal courthouse opened for business Monday with little fanfare but with some of the inconveniences associated with moving into a new home.

In this case, home is a new eight-story, 252,420-square-foot building of stone and glass bounded by Fourth, Fifth, San Antonio and Nueces streets.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Andy Austin said the $123 million project came in on budget. Construction was paid for predominantly by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Do you like anything?

I love it.
Of course I do. When I see something I like, I'll say so. If not, I'll say so. I haven't seen a lot that I like lately. wwmiv, I don't mean to be negative, just honest. This courthouse and the City Hall Bldg both appear to over compensate for the sake of not being mundane. Like wearing a tux to a job interview.
I like, 360, Spring, W, Austonian, future Marriot, Legacy, and many more, disappointed with Frost, Ashten, Four Seasons, Whitley, Hyatt Place, and many more...
Meh, I spent many years in NYC, what do I know about buildings

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Of course I do. When I see something I like, I'll say so. If not, I'll say so. I haven't seen a lot that I like lately. wwmiv, I don't mean to be negative, just honest. This courthouse and the City Hall Bldg both appear to over compensate for the sake of not being mundane. Like wearing a tux to a job interview.
I like, 360, Spring, W, Austonian, future Marriot, Legacy, and many more, disappointed with Frost, Ashten, Four Seasons, Whitley, Hyatt Place, and many more...
Meh, I spent many years in NYC, what do I know about buildings
I think its because you tend to dislike many buildings that by far and large aren't so bad as you put them out to be. They may not be great architectural gems, but the Frost for instance, what is there to be disappointed about that building? I still find it to be Austin's iconic building... the one that sticks in your head when you think of Austin, just like Empire State building pops in your head when you think of NYC.

The same with this building or a few others you have pointed out. You are free to express your dislike towards those buildings, and we too are free to express our disagreement with you.

I do however tend to agree with you on a lot of things. The Ashton for instance always gets me wondering how that building tends to get praise from many skyscraper enthusiasts.

I don't get bothered as much with buildings like the Hyatt because at the very least they don't stand out as much. And on a whole many great things are happening for Austin, that's why I don't think its entirely necessary to complain. I did complain, however, about that IBC Bank... but the latest rendering now somehow won me over, especially since it will be built across this building; I feel these two buildings compliment each other quite well.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 3:33 AM

Surely, I'm not the only person who expected something like this to happen with the federal courthouse eventually. I just knew there would be some wingnut who wouldn't be able to handle the idea of the federal government having a building here in Austin. Maybe that's why they built such a big, ugly wall around it. Sigh... Texas. SMH

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 5:04 AM

That big ugly wall is supposed to be blast proof to prevent an Oklahoma City type of bombing attempt to destroy the building and the people inside the building. It is pretty much standard issue for new federal buildings across the US. The way the wall is constructed and the way it interacts with the rest of the building up on the terrace level is really kind of fascinating. BTW, there has been a federal building or federal courthouse in Austin for many, many years. The previous one is up on 9th and San Jacinto. Nobody ever tried to shoot up that building, although after Oklahoma City the part of 9th St. that actually went under a wing of the building was permanently closed to vehicular traffic.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
That big ugly wall is supposed to be blast proof to prevent an Oklahoma City type of bombing attempt to destroy the building and the people inside the building/
Right. I said "something like this", not "exactly this". A bombing would be "something like this".

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
BTW, there has been a federal building or federal courthouse in Austin for many, many years. The previous one is up on 9th and San Jacinto. Nobody ever tried to shoot up that building...
Yeah, but no one knows about it. This is highly visible and well-known.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 11:35 PM
Meh

I think Art Acevedo was correct in his assumption that this had more to do with the immigration issue and that guy struggling to find a good job since he also targeted the Mexican consulate. That's a very specific place. I doubt most people even realized we had a Mexican consulate here, let alone knowing where it is. I didn't even know where it was.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 1:38 AM

More than what? He obviously blamed the federal government for the immigration issue.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:48 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
More than what? He obviously blamed the federal government for the immigration issue.
Exactly, so he hits the consulate and the fed building for his political statements and then goes to APD to perform his police-assisted suicide. And since most angry middle-aged males tend to be angry at cops, maybe that was also part of his political thing.

I'm surprised there isn't a lot more of this. Suicide is pretty common, but most people don't make a political statement when they kill themselves, they either take it out on loved ones or just go away quietly.

As for this building, I like its design a lot. I'm not fond of it being in that location, where it has a very unfriendly street presence and detracts from the overall vibrancy that is developing around it. I think it clashes somewhat with nearby architecture, too. But there it is, and it's a very interesting design that could have been a much worse, more foreboding bureaucratic monolith than this.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin