HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 6:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
idk maybe, what's happening in Uruguay these days?
The United States is still safer than Uruguay lol xD.
I believe Chile comes the closest to Canada (In the America's)
Both North/ South. In terms of Homicide (@ least based on the Stats
for Violent Crime).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 8:07 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
But if nobody died then it doesn't matter as much.
To the media, perhaps. But violent crime still has a ripple effect through the community. It still has a perpetrator and victim, it still has relatives of those individuals who will be affected by the crime, and it still has an impact on how people feel about safety in their city.

In 2014, Thunder Bay had 11 homicides. In 2015 we had 3, and in 2016 we're also up to just three. Violent crime rates have gone up slightly since 2014, but would you argue the the city is, overall, safer now, simply because less assaults resulted in a death? People still got assaulted. They're more likely to be assaulted now than in 2014 when the homicide rate was nearly 4 times higher. The violent crime rate in Thunder Bay was higher still in 2008 when we didn't have a single homicide during the calendar year.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:38 PM

Hey Vid - can you post a link for the 2015 numbers - I had you at just one for 2015 back on Jan. 1, 2016 but I am not sure where I had got the information.

For the record, Québec City is still at zero (to my knowledge). I think that means that it has been over 10 months since our last murder (July 12, 2015).

Lévis is at zero, too.

I consider Québec City (especially counting its metro area which is what the police do for homicides) to be one of Canada's big cities and it is considerably safer than Montréal.

Last edited by Oliver May; May 16, 2016 at 9:53 PM. Reason: incorrect information

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 8:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver May View Post
Hey Vid - can you post a link for the 2015 numbers - I had you at just one for 2015 back on Jan. 1, 2016 but I am not sure where I had got the information.

For the record, Québec City is still at zero (to my knowledge). I think that means that it has been over 10 months since our last murder (July 12, 2015).

Lévis is at zero, too.

I consider Québec City (especially counting its metro area which is what the police do for homicides) to be one of Canada's big cities and it is considerably safer than Montréal.
It is one of Canada's "Big Cities" Your 100% Right!

Last edited by Tosin007; May 17, 2016 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 8:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
To the media, perhaps. But violent crime still has a ripple effect through the community. It still has a perpetrator and victim, it still has relatives of those individuals who will be affected by the crime, and it still has an impact on how people feel about safety in their city.

In 2014, Thunder Bay had 11 homicides. In 2015 we had 3, and in 2016 we're also up to just three. Violent crime rates have gone up slightly since 2014, but would you argue the the city is, overall, safer now, simply because less assaults resulted in a death? People still got assaulted. They're more likely to be assaulted now than in 2014 when the homicide rate was nearly 4 times higher. The violent crime rate in Thunder Bay was higher still in 2008 when we didn't have a single homicide during the calendar year.
Yeah I guess ur right, I never did see it that way before. (Maybe its cause I watch too much American News?)

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 12:24 PM

A five month pregnant woman was shot and killed yesterday in an apparent targeted drive-by shooting (the car she was in was targeted, not the woman). The baby was delivered by emergency C-section but is so premature that the chance of survival is apparently only 50%

A 17 year old was shot and killed in Brampton the other evening as well, outside a restaurant. As 25 year old man has been arrested in that case.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The RNC has stated they are not searching for any other suspects in relation to this murder. She allegedly bludgeoned this guy to death and moved his body alone. That's so unusual.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 7:46 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:

Lévis is at zero, too.

There is a difference, but it is not that big, really. I'd say it is marginally safer.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:38 AM
I am a typical

Quote:

Lévis is at zero, too.

The last two were a late December arson that resulted in two deaths, which wasn't declared a homicide until the investigation was completed in early 2016, which is why the numbers you got on January 1 2016 said 1 instead of 3. It wasn't declared a homicide until January 18.

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2016/01...reet-homicide/

Quebec is a largely homogeneous middle class city, so crime isn't as common there. Thunder Bay has a much higher rate of poverty, and 10% of the population is part of a marginalized group of people, you get significant social issues as a result of that. Based on figures I can find, Thunder Bay has about 26% more homeless people per-capita than Toronto.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 10:55 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ottawa now at 8. Suspect identified. Manhunt underway.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:36 PM

There were two separate fatal stabbings of young men at Wasaga Beach over the Victoria Day weekend. No suspects yet in either case. Very shocking.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:22 PM

In the US in 2015, the city with the most murders per capita (among large cities) was St. Louis - 188 murders in a police district of 320,000 people.

If Canadian cities had that same rate (within the city limits only), the number of murders for some of the large cities in a year would be:

Calgary - 680
Edmonton - 520
Hamilton - 315
Montreal - 960
Ottawa - 540
Quebec City - 310
Toronto - 1,590
Vancouver - 360
Winnipeg - 405

If Canadian cities had those kind of murder numbers (or anything close to it), most likely the 2006 Liberal attack ads would be right - the military would be patrolling our cities. Chiefs and mayors would be fired left right and centre.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
In the US in 2015, the city with the most murders per capita (among large cities) was St. Louis - 188 murders in a police district of 320,000 people.

If Canadian cities had that same rate (within the city limits only), the number of murders for some of the large cities in a year would be:

Calgary - 680
Edmonton - 520
Hamilton - 315
Montreal - 960
Ottawa - 540
Quebec City - 310
Toronto - 1,590
Vancouver - 360
Winnipeg - 405

If Canadian cities had those kind of murder numbers (or anything close to it), most likely the 2006 Liberal attack ads would be right - the military would be patrolling our cities. Chiefs and mayors would be fired left right and centre.
That would be insane! buy hey, we all know more guns save lives...

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Some Dana Bradley murder suspects cleared with new DNA

Police have used new DNA evidence in the Dana Bradley murder investigation to clear suspects in the case, including a man who was publicly accused by someone claiming to have witnessed the murder.

Dana, 14, was reported missing from the west end of St. John's Dec. 14, 1981, having last been seen hitchhiking on Topsail Road. Her body was found in a wooded area off Maddox Cove Road four days later. She had been killed by a blow to the head.

Evidence had been collected from the scene by police investigators, but because of the limited technology at the time, no DNA was able to be positively extracted from that evidence until now.

Though testing had been ongoing over the past 35 years, it wasn't until the evidence was recently sent to a lab in the United States for additional investigation that police got a positive hit for male DNA.

"It's a significant breakthrough," RCMP Insp. Pat Cahill, who is in charge of the force's Major Crime Unit in Newfoundland and Labrador, told The Telegram in an interview at police headquarters Thursday. "In any investigation, when you're doing these files, that's what you want — you want DNA evidence."

Further testing on the evidence is ongoing. Investigators are comparing the DNA to their known suspects, and have used it to clear a number of people so far. One of them is a man publicly accused in recent years of the murder.

In a series of stories published by The Telegram starting in 2014, a local man said he had witnessed the murder as a child, that he had been in the backseat of a car driven by a friend of his family, he said, when the family friend picked Dana up hitchhiking and then killed her. The RCMP followed up on the information for a year and a half before dismissing it. Cahill said Thursday the accused family friend has been cleared again with the new DNA evidence.

"What I can say is that the tips and the information surrounding this individual have been cleared, and most recently we have used this DNA evidence to clear him," Cahill said.

Dana’s mother and stepfather, Dawn and Jeff Levitz, say they are pleased that scientific development has allowed for the new evidence.

“We can only hope that with the help of further tips from the public, they will finally be able to solve the case,” Jeff said.

Police are still receiving tips from members of the public on the murder case. A number of them came in late Thursday morning, as news of the new evidence broke.

"I had one call this morning from a person who said, 'I thought this might be insignificant.' I said, 'It's not insignificant,’" Cahill said. "We don't want to discourage anyone from providing information. We want to encourage the public now to come forward with new tips."

Officers will follow up on every tip, Cahill said.

Police are asking anyone with any information about the death of Dana Bradley to contact them at 772-5400. To remain anonymous, tips can be given through Crime Stoppers by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS, by texting TIP190 and the information to "CRIMES" (274637), or online at www.nlcrimestoppers.com .
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...with-new-DNA/1

It's not often that police get new leads in 35 year old homicide cases.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 2:45 PM

Head of Montreal mafia, Rocco Sollecito, killed in Laval

http://globalnews.ca/news/2725542/he...lled-in-laval/

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephersir7 View Post
Head of Montreal mafia, Rocco Sollecito, killed in Laval

http://globalnews.ca/news/2725542/he...lled-in-laval/
Montreal's run of good luck in the homicide numbers about to come to an end?

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 3:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Montreal's run of good luck in the homicide numbers about to come to an end?
Not necessarily. The island is still at 3 or 4 (this was in Laval). There have between 2-3 (maybe 4?) murders in the off-island suburbs since the start of the year.

Still well below 10 for the entire metro if I am not mistaken.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not necessarily. The island is still at 3 or 4 (this was in Laval). There have between 2-3 (maybe 4?) murders in the off-island suburbs since the start of the year.

I'm thinking more in terms of potential outcomes of a major organized crime hit. Go to the mattresses, vengeance is a dish best served cold, or escalation?

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I'm thinking more in terms of potential outcomes of a major organized crime hit. Go to the mattresses, vengeance is a dish best served cold, or escalation? It's only that last of these that would affect this year's tally.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 5:24 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post

Calgary - 680
Edmonton - 520
Hamilton - 315
Montreal - 960
Ottawa - 540
Quebec City - 310
Toronto - 1,590
Vancouver - 360
Winnipeg - 405

That's actually pretty misleading. I'm not arguing that things aren't worse in the States but you're comparing the worst part of a city with Canadian metros. Your point still stands (as far as I'm concerned) but to be more accurate you need to compare like and like. St. Louis actually has nearly 3 million people in the greater metro. That doesn't mean their murder rate isn't incredible and that "guns don't kill people", I'm just saying that it wouldn't be as bad as it seems based on the core city versus metro areas in Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada