HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 11:48 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Tallest school (NOT college or univ.) building in US?

As the title suggests, where/what is the tallest school building in the United States? Specifically where the building was purpose built for education purposes and the school takes up most of or almost the ENTIRE building. I want people to post examples that show how a vertical school building is a viable concept, because its easy to think of reasons why it wouldn't. I think this will be a fun thread if it doesn't go off topic.

Do NOT post mixed use developments where a school only exists as part of a ground floor podium of a bigger tower, or a non-conventional private montessori or something like that which only occupies one floor of a tower. That doesn't really go with what I am looking for/discuss.

Please do NOT post buildings which are or part of university or college campuses or any vocational schools that serve Adults. Only schools which serve kids/teens/youth. There are already ample resources on the internet for high rise university buildings including a list on wikipedia.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 12:10 AM

https://www.archdaily.com/463438/wil...y-perkins-will

Jones Prep in downtown Chicago is the tallest school I know at 7 stories.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 1:17 AM

There are a ton of NYC public and private schools in the 10-15 floor range.

Brooklyn Tech, Stuyvesant, Collegiate would be good examples. Really most schools in Manhattan and close-in parts of the Outer Boroughs are at least 7-8 floors.

Many others are built as the base of mixed-use highrises, but those wouldn't count. The public school system has a whole department dedicated to partnering with developers to build schools at the base of new towers.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:01 PM
i ain't no bubba

The Atlanta Public Schools opened North Atlanta High School in an 11 story former IBM office building in 2013.

From buckhead.com

Last edited by (four 0 four); Aug 3, 2018 at 9:05 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture