HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 2:56 PM

I find people tend to overlook our local history because it is so young. Doesn't make it any less important of course. But you go overseas and there's 1000 year old structures still being used. Heck even way older than that. People around here don't really care about our relatively short history, which is unfortunate.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 5:33 PM

Tenders out for the Lily and John Hirsch street renewals.

http://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderCont...2016&YEAR=2016

Easier to read plans are located here.
http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/c...gedistrict.stm

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 6:37 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I find people tend to overlook our local history because it is so young. Doesn't make it any less important of course. But you go overseas and there's 1000 year old structures still being used. Heck even way older than that. People around here don't really care about our relatively short history, which is unfortunate.
Both London and Paris are 2000 year old cities.

We tend to demo anything over 125.

That being said, I sure hope the current owners of the High and Lonesome building does MAJOR work to it - inside & out to make it more pleasing to look at and be in.

Start with that ugly rusted box pipe on the side. Replace it with new.

Otherwise they should just get rid of it.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 2:57 PM

The design for the proposed General Strike monument was revealed yesterday. Design is by Monteyne Architecture and it's intended to go up on Lily Street across from RMTC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...aled-1.3608268

It looks great, and I love the less-is-more approach. You don't need to lay waste to an entire block to properly commemorate history.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 9:54 PM

^I agree looks nice and simple, and the style will look good with the new streetscaping and trees going in in the area.

My one question would be do you think they are planning on just painting that Nygard mural white, or did they just blank it out for render purposes. That mural is looking a little dated, I'd love to see them incorporate a new one.

Side note, somewhat related: I was in Minneapolis over the weekend, love visiting there. One things that's starting to take off there is really high quality street art, especially around Uptown and downtown close to First Avenue. Would love to see more in the Exchange. I wish they didn't take the one down at McDermot and Main.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^I agree looks nice and simple, and the style will look good with the new streetscaping and trees going in in the area.

My one question would be do you think they are planning on just painting that Nygard mural white, or did they just blank it out for render purposes. That mural is looking a little dated, I'd love to see them incorporate a new one.

Side note, somewhat related: I was in Minneapolis over the weekend, love visiting there. One things that's starting to take off there is really high quality street art, especially around Uptown and downtown close to First Avenue. Would love to see more in the Exchange. I wish they didn't take the one down at McDermot and Main.
The mural is not staying. It'll either be painted over or sandblasted off to the original brick. They've also cut through that wall recently for 3 windows and a door as part of the Streetside redevelopment of that building.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 12:22 AM

^ Seeing as that mural is hyping the Nygard Village project that was DOA 10 years ago, I'd fully expect it to disappear.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 12:55 AM

The General Strike monument will look great along with all the other streetscaping on Lily. Can't wait for that streetscaping to start creeping down Jame Ave too.

Seeing as tomorrow is June already, I'm surprised (ok not really that surprised) we haven't heard anything about the latest and greatest iteration for the James Ave Pumping Station.

It's a shame we have to wait for it and the James/Amy parkade before the street gets done. The entire area will be done and James will be left as a 50+ foot wide landmined roadway with no trees.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:54 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what better spot then to cover up on nygard with this hahaha irony

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
The mural is not staying. It'll either be painted over or sandblasted off to the original brick. They've also cut through that wall recently for 3 windows and a door as part of the Streetside redevelopment of that building.
Every time I walk by I look to see if there are more outlines for windows. I imagine there will be a few columns of windows going in.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJYBR View Post
Every time I walk by I look to see if there are more outlines for windows. I imagine there will be a few columns of windows going in.
It'd be funny if they were planning on windows all the way up and now there will be a giant steel wall in front of them.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
It'd be funny if they were planning on windows all the way up and now there will be a giant steel wall in front of them.
I believe the 3 windows that have been cut through were all they that were planned for that side.

They are currently working on 2 of the 3 large loading dock doors on the north side. Will be interesting to see what becomes of those. The doors and mechanics were removed over the past couple days.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:17 PM

So what's going in that building? Some kind of Nygard thing?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So what's going in that building? Some kind of Nygard thing?
It's the last phase of the District condo development.

The Nygard thing came about during the original RFP for Waterfront Drive. Nygard obtained those buildings and submitted a proposal that included development of the land that the Strand condos now stand on. He even went so far as having the mural painted for promotional purposes. He was not the successful bid on the Waterfront property, so dumped the buildings on James and Market. Sunstone ended up acquiring and developing the buildings.

EDIT: Did some digging and found these links:

The first step in 2003: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/historic/31397179.html (Firewalled)

The project grows: http://www.scpl.com/news_releases/April%2015%202005.pdf

Nygard starts to leave in Sept. 2009: http://www.bricksfinefurniture.mb.ca...couldnt-refuse

Nygard bales and sells to Sunstone (Qualico): http://www.residentsoftheexchangedis...excitement.pdf

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 12:52 AM
What could go wrong?

Not to nitpick but it is Streetside (Qualico). Sunstone is the the developer that did Sky Condos on Waterfront.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
I believe the 3 windows that have been cut through were all they that were planned for that side.

They are currently working on 2 of the 3 large loading dock doors on the north side. Will be interesting to see what becomes of those. The doors and mechanics were removed over the past couple days.
I SERIOUSLY hope that they will put in some CRUs that orient to the lane (Elgin) there. CoW did such a nice job with the lane to make it walkable but seems all for not since the renos to all those buildings covered up any chance of cool Gastown-like alley businesses. I hope that any future builds on the surface lots on that block are required to activate Elgin. Ditto for John Hirsch Place — happy the city is going to fix it up again, but is there a point if it still just remains an alley for dumpsters?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 1:43 PM

Quote:
I SERIOUSLY hope that they will put in some CRUs that orient to the lane (Elgin) there. CoW did such a nice job with the lane to make it walkable but seems all for not since the renos to all those buildings covered up any chance of cool Gastown-like alley businesses. I hope that any future builds on the surface lots on that block are required to activate Elgin. Ditto for John Hirsch Place — happy the city is going to fix it up again, but is there a point if it still just remains an alley for dumpsters?
I hope so too. Living in 132 I see firsthand what Elgin is currently used for...residents to walk their dogs, drop off points for groceries, and a nice walkway for those searching recycling bins for cans and clothing.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 2:55 PM

^^^^ With 128/132 James and 133 Market having residential units backing onto Elgin, the best hope for CRUs would be the west end of Elgin behind 145 Market.

If they put CRUs on the back of 145 Market where the loading doors are now and then CRUs on a condo that will eventually be built on the Lily/Elgin lot, the commercialization of this small portion of the alley would compliment the area.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 3:02 PM

^ CRUs on Elgin are an all or nothing proposition IMO. Either every building has one, creating critical mass and an interesting pedestrian environment that draws people in, or no one has one.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ CRUs on Elgin are an all or nothing proposition IMO. Either every building has one, creating critical mass and an interesting pedestrian environment that draws people in, or no one has one.
For sure, but that opportunity doesn't exist on Elgin any longer with the residential presence of 128/132 James and 133 Market.

Having said that, if we could start with developing one commercialized alley in the Exchange, which alley would it be?

My vote would be the alley that runs from Albert to Arthur just south of McDermot. (Honourable mention Elgin as it's close to home, but it does have restrictions as noted).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan