HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 9:42 PM

The awning at the entrance to the Stelco Tower is also undergoing some sort of renovations/repairs. They are doing work to the overhang as well as the ground around the entrance.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 11:40 PM

A new Sunrise Records has opened around the corner from the cinema, in the hallway connecting Rexall to the TD. I showed up just at closing time so I didn't have much of a look around yet, but seemed to be a mix of new vinyl, some CDs, movies and some board games.

Excuse my blurry cell phone pic:

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 11:58 PM

A record store just opened up inside a mall.

Did you get a lift from Marty McFly in his Dolorean to get there? Is it 1985 again?

I really can't see this surviving.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
They're selling a lot of vinyl which is making a massive comeback.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 12:32 AM
Hammer'd

I thought that chain died years ago. The last time I was even inside a Sunrise records was when the one at the old Centre Mall existed.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
A record store just opened up inside a mall.

Did you get a lift from Marty McFly in his Dolorean to get there? Is it 1985 again?

Heh yeah it did seem like a blast from the past. The last time I had been in a Sunrise was probably almost 10 years ago in a mall in Mississauga. Didn't even know the chain was still around. I asked one of the clerks and they said that the chain had a recent change in ownership and they were trying to revive the brand.

Inside the store looked pretty nice but it will be tough for them with both Cheapies and Dr. Disc nearby and already well established in the vinyl game. Some of the prices at Sunrise seemed a little bit high in comparison to be honest.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
They're selling a lot of vinyl which is making a massive comeback.
Vinyl sales have increased from 3% of music sales in the US to 5%. I'm not sure I'd call that a "massive comeback". It's a tiny niche market and will remain that way. I'm not sure it's enough to keep a store in business - especially in this market.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 2:47 AM

Sunrise records? So random...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 4:15 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Vinyl sales have increased from 3% of music sales in the US to 5%. I'm not sure I'd call that a "massive comeback". It's a tiny niche market and will remain that way. I'm not sure it's enough to keep a store in business - especially in this market.
Practically doubling your market share isn't exactly minor. Especially for an old technology. (I do suspect it won't be sustainable though. Vinyl is just too fragile a medium.)

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 6:55 PM

Dr. Disc and Cheapies have been around for ages and their main product is vinyl.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 12:03 AM

Someone reputable told me today that Nations Fresh will be closing in one year when the contract is up. They apparently bought a property on the mountain, right now this is just a rumour. Can anyone confirm? This same source also mentioned McDonalds closing which is already known.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Someone reputable told me today that Nations Fresh will be closing in one year when the contract is up. They apparently bought a property on the mountain, right now this is just a rumour. Can anyone confirm? This same source also mentioned McDonalds closing which is already known.
The loss of McDonalds is whatever, but the loss of Nations to the mall would be really upsetting.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 12:47 AM
Hammer'd

I can't see that happening. They spent a LOT of money only 2-3 years ago constructing that store and its very busy all the time. Yale would also do everything they could to make sure they didn't leave since the store generates a lot of traffic and is very important to the mall.

McDonalds closing makes a lot more sense since its a very small restaurant that doesn't really fit their current format. They haven't even bothered renovating the dining room portion in over 15 years for probably that reason. It is a pretty busy store though so they'd probably be re-locating somewhere else close by.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris06299 View Post

I cant see nations closing. Its an absolute zoo there on lunch hour as tons of people working downtown grab lunch there. They arent going to get that lunch time foot traffic on the mountain.

Also they Have a big asian customer base. They'll lose that if they move out of the downtown core.

That mcdonalds is always busy as well. Hopefully they replace it with something nearby.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 4:00 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I'm really surprised and happy at the amount of staff Nations has, especially in the seafood area, you don't see that in a Metro or Sobeys.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
I'm really surprised and happy at the amount of staff Nations has, especially in the seafood area, you don't see that in a Metro or Sobeys.
Really? This hasn't been my experience at all. I've had to wait an inordinately long time to have a fish cleaned there on a couple of occasions.

That having been said, even if a Sobey's or Fortino's has better service (which I think is the case), that's not Nations' competitive advantage. I find it crowded, hard to orient myself, and generally not a very good shopping experience...but the prices justify this for me, and apparently a lot of other people.

I'd be surprised if they left. They seem to be doing very well there.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 1:19 AM
Hammer'd

McDonalds is gone as of two days ago.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
McDonalds is gone as of two days ago.
Are they relocating elsewhere in Jackson Square, or going to another building nearby, to maintain their downtown presence?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 4:06 PM

This McDonald's started at the corner of King and John St in the late 70's and may have been the first McDonald's in Canada.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
Are they relocating elsewhere in Jackson Square, or going to another building nearby, to maintain their downtown presence?
That McDonalds was always busy. Especially recently with the big push to sell the McCafe brand. You gotta think they open up somewhere else in the core. They're leaving a lot of sales on the table if they don't.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues