HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 7:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great ideas, all.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:02 PM

Gros Morne official cites fracking concerns

Quote:
A Parks Canada official says staff at Gros Morne National Park are concerned about a fracking proposal in nearby Sally's Cove.

Peter Deering, resource manager for Parks Canada in western Newfoundland and Labrador, said officials have questions about how the fracking, or hydraulic fracturing, could affect the park.

"We certainly have concerns around both the tourism side in terms of the experience," said Deering.

"From the environment and ecological side, in terms of what the activity might expose the park to, whether it's anything from noise, to pollution, to increased traffic."

Tourism operators worried, says official
Sally's Cove is surrounded by Gros Morne National Park, and Shoal Point Energy wants to set up an exploratory drill rig in the community.

The company would inject sand, water and chemicals into the ground to crack rock far underground.

Shoal Point Energy is also interested in doing exploratory fracking in the Port au Port and Lark Harbour areas, starting as early as April.

Deering said tourism operators in communities close to Gros Morne National Park have told him they have concerns about the fracking proposal.

"If things turn out positive from an exploration perspective, they're concerned in that there's been considerable investment in terms of tourism industry here, and considerable experience built up and marketed for the Gros Morne area."

Environment watchdog cites fracking in report
On Tuesday, Canada's environment commissioner, Scott Vaughan, singled out fracking as an area of concern in his auditor's report on Canadian environmental regulations.

“According to the government, until it has a better understanding of hydraulic fracturing, it cannot determine whether risk assessments and control measures are warranted,” wrote Vaughan.

In the meantime, Deering said officials at Gros Morne National Park won't take a stand on fracking until they find out more about the proposal from the Newfoundland and Labrador government, which regulates oil and gas exploration, and the company

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...cerns-206.html

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 11:32 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I had already thought of asking for the thread to be renamed, so I'm glad you changed it. Interestingly, I started it as a thread for resort developments in Western Nfld. & Atlantic Canada, and then it morphed into a thread for Corner Brook, and then a regional thread. It has been through a few name changes !

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 5:52 AM

Some of Happy Valley-Goose Bay has been updated on Google Maps. Nothing has started yet on the new town centre, but there's quite a lot of new housing on the north side of the town, as well as some new roads off Churchill St. Good to see!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 6:19 PM

Not so much development related, but a further indication of our increasingly "urban" (and I use that term loosely for this province) population.

Little Bay Islands Resettlement (CBC)
Quote:
A town councillor on Little Bay Islands has sent a written request in to the provincial government asking for resettlement.

Not enough people in the Notre Dame Bay community supported resettlement two years ago, but Coun. Dennis Budgell said it's time to reconsider.

It's always sad to see these little communities go. They are the part of what makes Newfoundland unique, but the sad reality is that with an aging population across the board we are going to be seeing more and more of this for the next 10 years, at least.

As time goes on it is interesting how our population spread seems to be changing more and more to mirror mainland Canada. The Trans-Canada Highway is becoming more of a determinant of where we live than the old highway, the coastline.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
Not so much development related, but a further indication of our increasingly "urban" (and I use that term loosely for this province) population.

Little Bay Islands Resettlement (CBC)

It's always sad to see these little communities go. They are the part of what makes Newfoundland unique, but the sad reality is that with an aging population across the board we are going to be seeing more and more of this for the next 10 years, at least.

As time goes on it is interesting how our population spread seems to be changing more and more to mirror mainland Canada. The Trans-Canada Highway is becoming more of a determinant of where we live than the old highway, the coastline.
where would they resettle?

Tiffany village would be nice! hahahha just kidding

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
where would they resettle?

Tiffany village would be nice! hahahha just kidding
Probably Kenmount Terrace.

Seriously though, they will most likely follow the same pattern as Grand Bruit did on the south coast. Rather than take everyone and move them into another community like the days of Joey Smallwood, the residents will probably receive a pay out of $X that they can use to buy a home in a community of their choosing, so long as they give up the property (or expectations of services on the property) in the resettled community.

When Grand Bruit was resettled most people moved into Burgeo and Port-aux-Basques. Daniel's Harbour, on the northern peninsula, tried to entice Bruiters but I don't think anyone took them up on the offer. So they mostly went to the nearest health care centre or where their children live. Based on that, for Little Bay Islands, I would think most will go to Springdale and Grand Falls-Windsor.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:22 PM

Long Harbor Industrial Park Needed

Quote:
As the mega-projects develop across the province, it's been determined that a new industrial park for Long Harbor is a priority. VOCM's Terry Hart reports.

The chairman of the Long Harbor Development Corporation, Gary Keating, says the goal is to develop the Hydromet Industrial Supply Park to make it easier to attract businesses who are interested in servicing the multi-billion dollar Vale processing plant.

Keating noted Vale will be spending approximately 1.25-million dollars annually on the procurement of goods and services needed to run the plant. He would like to see those goods and services supplied locally rather than coming in from other places.

Keating says the development corporation has received a number of expressions of interest from companies who are interested in looking at the proposed 35-acre industrial supply park.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=31486

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 2:53 PM

I thought there was a regional or rural NL thread but I can't find it, so I decided to post here. Mods feel free to move this post to the appropriate thread.

I was scanning through Target.ca and noticed that Corner Brook doesn't have a 'coming soon' location listed. I'm not sure if this means Target axed the CB location or have pushed back the opening date until sometime after 2013.

Here's the locations website:

http://www.target.ca/en/locations?lnk=gnav

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I thought there was a regional or rural NL thread but I can't find it, so I decided to post here. Mods feel free to move this post to the appropriate thread.

I was scanning through Target.ca and noticed that Corner Brook doesn't have a 'coming soon' location listed. I'm not sure if this means Target axed the CB location or have pushed back the opening date until sometime after 2013.

Here's the locations website:

http://www.target.ca/en/locations?lnk=gnav
I think their target date for opening (yeah, pun) was late 2013. They wanted to open in November to get the Christmas rush, but it is supposed to take about 8 months of renovation work. I don't think Corner Brook was ever listed on the Target.ca website, or at least I cannot recall seeing it. Regardless, Target is still listed on the Corner Brook Plaza website as coming soon.

And just fyi, this was the Corner Brook/Regional/Rural thread but was renamed a couple of weeks ago. It had me confused at first at too since I wasn't sure what where the old thread went... silly me, couldn't put two and two together.

Corner Brook Plaza Stores

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
I think their target date for opening (yeah, pun) was late 2013. They wanted to open in November to get the Christmas rush, but it is supposed to take about 8 months of renovation work. I don't think Corner Brook was ever listed on the Target.ca website, or at least I cannot recall seeing it. Regardless, Target is still listed on the Corner Brook Plaza website as coming soon.

And just fyi, this was the Corner Brook/Regional/Rural thread but was renamed a couple of weeks ago. It had me confused at first at too since I wasn't sure what where the old thread went... silly me, couldn't put two and two together.

Corner Brook Plaza Stores
Ha ha... awesome. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 6:08 PM

New Placentia bridge a step closer to reality

This is a pretty significant (and much needed) project for the region:

CBC
March 6, 2013
Author: Unknown

Quote:
A new bridge for the Placentia area is one step closer to reality.

On Tuesday, the provincial government awarded the $40.6-million contract for the construction of a new vertical lift bridge.

Transportation and Works Minister Paul Davis made the long-awaited announcement on Tuesday.

As well as building the new bridge, H.J. O'Connell Construction will also remove the existing Sir Ambrose Shea Lift Bridge, and work on the road approaches from Placentia and Jerseyside.

The work was re-tendered to ensure a competitive process, and received three bids. The successful bid is $2.5 million lower than that received from a sole bidder in 2012.

The bridge, built in 1961, was plagued with problems last year. Government made repairs as a band-aid solution which cost about $2 million.

Work on the new bridge is expected to begin in the spring and will take three years to complete. During that time, the existing bridge will remain intact until the new bridge is built and operational.

The federal government is contributing $8 million to the project.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...013-03-06.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 2:19 PM

Pasadena, a suburb of Corner Brook just past Marble Mountain, has unveiled plans for its new recreation centre.

Quote:
It’s been made possible because of an $8-million agreement between the town and the province, as well as the Department of Municipal Affairs.

The final design calls for a 1,975 square-metre building that will also include such features as a walking track, community kitchen and several multi-purpose meeting rooms.
The Western Star: Pasadena Rec Centre Design Released

It will also include a rock climbing wall, gymnasium and fitness centre. This is a substantial facility for a town of about 3,500. The only thing I would have expected that wasn't included was a swimming pool, which I thought they were pushing for.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:22 AM

Looking back on news from Grand Falls-Windsor's Advertiser, I found a pretty substantial retail development plan that was proposed back in 2010, the "Queensway Shopping Centre". The developer is Econo-Malls, the same company which owns a number of malls around the province including the Exploits Valley Mall.

When I did a photo update of GFW this past fall there was absolutely no signs of anything happening at Queensway (other than a number of small businesses that have popped up here and there). I'm a GFW native, so it's gotten me excited. I don't know if the proposal has been shared here already, but I would love to know if anybody has heard any news about it.

The plan for the development can be found here: http://www.espacelistings.com/pdflive/9788.pdf

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoome View Post
Looking back on news from Grand Falls-Windsor's Advertiser, I found a pretty substantial retail development plan that was proposed back in 2010, the "Queensway Shopping Centre". The developer is Econo-Malls, the same company which owns a number of malls around the province including the Exploits Valley Mall.

When I did a photo update of GFW this past fall there was absolutely no signs of anything happening at Queensway (other than a number of small businesses that have popped up here and there). I'm a GFW native, so it's gotten me excited. I don't know if the proposal has been shared here already, but I would love to know if anybody has heard any news about it.

The plan for the development can be found here: http://www.espacelistings.com/pdflive/9788.pdf
That's a terrific commercial development for central, strange that it hasn't been posted before.

Regardless, I think it furthers my opinion that GFW should be the home to Newfoundland's next Costco. In fact, that 110,000 sq.ft. space in the Queensway development looks like it might be tailormade for Costco. Any ideas who the prospective tenants would be? I also like that this is by the same company that owns the mall, essentially you have one company really pushing to bring retailers into the community and shows that they are committed to the town.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoome View Post

As much as I don't like big box retail centres, I think GFW would benefit tremendously from this. Retail in GFW is horrendous at best; the Canadian Tire store has to be the oldest (and smallest) in NL - probably in Atlantic Canada. Here's to getting this project up and going.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 11:31 AM

that's great!! the town is really pulling out all the stops to flurish dispite the mill situation!

also let me point this out:

Quote:
Ideally suited for national and regional
retailers not currently represented in
Grand Falls-Windsor, box stores, multiplex
cinema
, restaurants, electronics, men’s,
ladies’ and children’s fashion, furniture,
appliances, as well as auto dealers and
others
http://www.espacelistings.com/pdflive/9788.pdf

do I smell another Empire theatres popping up? I think there needs to be more movie theatres in these towns or at least the urban centre towns

very cool

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
As much as I don't like big box retail centres, I think GFW would benefit tremendously from this. Retail in GFW is horrendous at best; the Canadian Tire store has to be the oldest (and smallest) in NL - probably in Atlantic Canada. Here's to getting this project up and going.
You've obviously never been to Lewisporte. haha

GFW could use a new Canadian Tire for sure though.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:36 AM

Wow Central is really taking off

Business Park Moving Ahead in Central

Quote:
The Gander International Airport Authority is forging ahead with plans to develop a business park on its property in the town. President and CEO Gary Vey says there have been some hurdles along the way, but they're continuing to work with the municipality, and they hope to have something put together within the next few months. The authority is looking to development a 150-acre business park, spanning the area adjacent to Cooper and James Boulevard and Roe Avenue. Vey says such a development would be a win-win for the town and the airport.

He says the town has very limited commercial space, and this would help. And, he says, this would help offset costs at the airport.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=32125

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:36 AM

Welcoming New Residents in Central

Quote:
It's an effort to make newcomers feel welcomed, and keep them around. A group in central is hosting a newcomers fair this evening to introduce new residents to services available to them in the Exploits Valley region. It's open to the public and runs from 4-8 p.m. at the Senior Citizen's Recreation Centre on Edward's Place in Grand Falls-Windsor.

Sue Mercer is the Program Manager with the Exploits Valley Community Coalition - she says the event has something for everyone, and is being hosted by a number of different groups.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=32124

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces