HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
It's my understanding that the squares will be composed a a metal that looks like brushed nickel. The should contrast magnificently with shiny glass. Whatever one thinks of the shape, the facade will be quite sleek.
The dark "squares" on the rendering are the windows which are 13x13 feet which will be glass but not shiny and the rest of the facade just fair-faced concrete.. definitely not marble..

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 6:12 PM
BANNED

I was told differently by someone with inside information.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 6:40 PM

my information suggests that the squares are the windows.. you think the white area is shiny glass?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 7:40 PM
BANNED

I was told that the whitish areas will be metal in a brushed-nickel finish.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:09 PM
New Yorker for life

(March 21, 2012)

www.432park.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:25 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Isn't anybody concerned over what the wind will do to this building...it will sway violently....square buildings aren't exactly aerodynamic

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Isn't anybody concerned over what the wind will do to this building...it will sway violently....square buildings aren't exactly aerodynamic
Why would I waste our very short lifetimes with worrying about a building and stressing myself out about something I can't control? So, I wouldn't waste your time "worrying" about these kind of things and trust the engineering team.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Are you an engineer and have you looked at the plans for the building? If one or more of those questions are answered no why in the world would you waste your time?

They would not design, build and sell 100 million dollar places in a building that was going to cause issues. The designers know a heck of a lot more about how the building will react to wind, etc than you or I could even dream of.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 6:09 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Yikes...i was just raising a concern...all square buildings have wind issues....some engineers overlook this or ignore it. If i recall the original WTC swayed so violently that it made employees sick and uncomfortable... Why could they go with a round shaped building?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Yikes...i was just raising a concern...all square buildings have wind issues....some engineers overlook this or ignore it. If i recall the original WTC swayed so violently that it made employees sick and uncomfortable... Why could they go with a round shaped building?
Theres ways of getting around sway, like tuned mass dampers, like in the John Hancock in Boston or Taipei 101, theres another way of doing it but i forget what its called

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 9:02 PM

IIRC I read on this thread that the exterior metal gridwork was supposed to help in countering wind swaying.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:46 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
IIRC I read on this thread that the exterior metal gridwork was supposed to help in countering wind swaying.
Yes. The gridwork will help reduce the shedding of vortices which cause swaying.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:40 PM
New Yorker for life

(March 22, 2012)

Reminds me of toys I played with as a kid...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
(March 22, 2012)

Reminds me of toys I played with as a kid...
Haha that reminds me of some great memories. I had a whole set of different mini heavy equipment, that could be the reason i love watching things like this now.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 6:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
I had a whole set of different mini heavy equipment, that could be the reason i love watching things like this now.
I think you are right. Anyway, the site is changing very rapidly now. Construction seems almost imminent.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 3:26 PM

Those excavators on site have enormous buckets. Much bigger than I was expecting.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:12 PM

This puppy is going to be badass!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 6:14 PM

I did a little photoshopping to show the impact this tower will have on the skyline (along with a few other proposals):

Current:

Future:

Original Image Source

New Towers Highlighted:

Original Image Source

Last edited by sbarn; Mar 23, 2012 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Looks great. Now all we need is something very tall in the 40's (between the ESB cluster and the upper 50's) to balance it out a little. Is there any possibilities for tall towers in the 40s?

The skyline, if built like that, would be nice though. It's amazing how short Verre is now, pity!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Looks great. Now all we need is something very tall in the 40's (between the ESB cluster and the upper 50's) to balance it out a little. Is there any possibilities for tall towers in the 40s?

The skyline, if built like that, would be nice though. It's amazing how short Verre is now, pity!
Yeah the slimness of this tower is actually growing on me. I'm getting greedy, but I wish there were a few more ~1200+ foot to add in there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive