HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Rolston in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 1:02 AM

That's a bit disappointing regarding the Cave, but I'm sure it'll prevent a lot of headaches for the residents.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 4:58 PM

I took a few interior photos this morning. The outdoor common areas are still under construction at the moment, so those will have to wait.

The lobby looks pretty nice. The pattern behind the shiny bench is also used in the elevators and looks good in person. I've heard that the bench scratches easily.

The hallways are nothing special. These pictures were taken from the floor with the terrace. You can see an outdoor exit with a sign on it saying that there is overhead construction. The floor plates are very small from this floor upward.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 4:01 AM

Evolution of the design by Changing City. My God that first one was ugly.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:12 AM

Interesting the'yre still flogging the units in this place at move-in. Sloooow to sell.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 9:21 PM

Granville may be noisy.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 5:29 AM

Southern view...

Source: me

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 2:52 AM

A new angle from 150 meters above Downtown. Looks a bit tiny.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 3:15 AM

Is that an outdoor hot tub on the roof?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Is that an outdoor hot tub on the roof?
I wish! It's a play area for kids.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Interesting the'yre still flogging the units in this place at move-in. Sloooow to sell.
they haven't been selling at any records, but I would hardly call it flogging. There are approx 10 units left or 5%. Those units are all money to the developer, if it takes another year to sell out its not the biggest deal in the world for Rize.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:54 AM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 10:33 AM

[IMG]IMG_8154 by vancouverbyte, on Flickr[/IMG]
IMG_8157 by vancouverbyte, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 10:42 AM

Anybody miss this place?

[IMG]Cecil Hotel RIP by vancouverbyte, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 1:54 PM
Reason and Freedom

I miss the neon sign (and funkiness the Cecil brought to The Street). It would have been nice if the Rolston had at least done its own modest neon blade sign as a nod to the spirit of Granville Street and the site's colourful historical past. If I recall, during the proposal stage, the Rolston claimed it was going to feature a funky music venue and nightclub in its podium. But now its just another quiet condo fronting Granville Street.

I suppose a future commercial tenant could still create such a sign for itself.

Last edited by Prometheus; Dec 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 3:15 PM

I don't think the world lost anything with that neon sign. The refurbished Yale Hotel neon sign on the other hand is very nice.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 4:25 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

I don't think the world lost anything with that neon sign.
Yes, it did. It lost yet another cool old neon sign. And that's fine. But it would have been great if it could have been replaced with a cool new neon sign (or faux neon LED equivalent) of some kind. Instead, Granville Street is that much darker, less colourful and less interesting (at least so far):

Quote:
Goodbye to great Vancouver nights at the Cecil Hotel

By Janet Mackie
May 28, 2008
The Georgia Straight

I heard the other day that the Cecil Hotel is soon to be demolished and the news brought back memories. The Cecil Hotel was for many years in the 70’s a great place to be on a Friday night. The Cecil, at that time, did not look that much different from the Yale Hotel next door (which also had popular subterranean steambaths) or the Blackstone farther down the street or the Austin across the road, or, indeed, many other Vancouver hotel bars. But for a long time the customers on Friday nights were an interesting bunch of people.

Poets and writers and potters and artists and musicians and bar-room philosophers and existentialist cab-drivers and Malcolm Lowry fans and alcohol-impaired Ph.D.s and fine-arts majors turned carpenters would all congregate on Friday night and drink and talk until closing time and then often go around the corner to the old Arts Club on Seymour Street where you could drink and dance (maybe catch Doug and the Slugs Band) until early morning.

I heard in the “old days” there was more violence and passion at the Cecil—fights bloody and dirty, the waiters more bellicose, and the characters more colourful. Those were the days when Peanut Charlie was young. Peanut Charlie had a speech impediment, a twisted leg and a gimpy hand, and he went around the bar selling peanuts: peanuts, the rumour had it, that were salted from being kept under his armpits.

No-one drank anything but beer (cost about 25 cents a glass and ordered to fill up the table) particularly as the waiters, a tough bunch, would “forget” to bring anything more sophisticated. Most nights you would see friends at four or five different tables and go around visiting and catch up with people who had been away to Europe or surveying up north or on a fishing trip, and then there were the heated debates about politics and art and all that stuff that got more animated the longer we drank.

Over the years, new owners changed the décor, usually for the worse. The terrycloth tablecloths were retired, but the huge wall-to-ceiling murals remained intact for years (sometimes draped, other times revealed). My favourite mural was of a fat, jovial English bobby, but there was also an eccentric Austrian Octoberfest scene that included a strapping German dancing woman with one hand painted on backwards.

The “neighbourhood pub” décor change was the worst, with an artificial fireplace stuck halfway up one wall and plastic flowers in baskets hanging irrelevantly in space and strange incomprehensible memorabilia adorning the walls. We absorbed the changes, noting them dismissively, and kept on drinking and talking.

The change of ownership that brought in the heavy-duty stripper routines complete with huge new stage, loud blaring lights and overhead mirrors, did in the old Cecil. We did have strippers before, but they made do on a little stage and brought their own music and took their clothes off in a laid-back amiable fashion and then left, but the new routine was impossible to ignore so we left. I don’t know what happens in the Cecil now, but for while it was a great Vancouver tradition on a Friday night.

Janet Mackie has lived in Vancouver for many years and misses the bad old days.

Source URL: http://www.straight.com/article-1474...ts-cecil-hotel
http://www.vancouverneon.com/page_q/cecil.htm

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:35 AM

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 7:24 PM

From Maddox

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 2:25 AM

I had the chance to see this building from inside as we went to see a shoebox studio apartment in there. I was surprised how cheap the finishings were, as the design building looks like high-quality from outside. Needless to say that we didn't end up there, but the view form the rooftop patio was nice.

Granville Loops

Maddox and English Bay direction.

Granville Street from above.

Layers of Downtown.

South Downtown panorama.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM

Yes, it's disappointing. The kitchens are awful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver